Please give me some advice on derm elective...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermPlease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am starting my derm elective pretty soon and I would like to get prepped for it (especially since I haven't done medicine yet).

Can you give me advice as to how to shine during the elective? Is there any book that I can read to get my knowledge to be at a level that's not embarrassing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, just learn basics of descriptions of lesions. You can find this information online. As far as books go, I'd recommend Baby Habif.

http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Disease-Diagnosis-Thomas-Habif/dp/0323027539

The book is organized by condition and the information is very accessible. Give it a quick look before your rotation.

During my rotation, I kept the book on me along with some post it book marks. When I saw a case I wasn't familiar with, I'd mark the page and read up on it later when I got the chance.

First off, just learn basics of descriptions of lesions. You can find this information online. As far as books go, I'd recommend Baby Habif.

http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Disease-Diagnosis-Thomas-Habif/dp/0323027539

The book is organized by condition and the information is very accessible. Give it a quick look before your rotation.

During my rotation, I kept the book on me along with some post it book marks. When I saw a case I wasn't familiar with, I'd mark the page and read up on it later when I got the chance.

Would you recommend baby habif over baby fitz? I just bought fitz and it seems like it's a little bit too much to read from cover to cover. Baby habif seems a little more managable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend baby habif over baby fitz? I just bought fitz and it seems like it's a little bit too much to read from cover to cover. Baby habif seems a little more managable.

There is also a Brand New Derm Secrets. http://www.amazon.com/Dermatology-S...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296337560&sr=8-5

I have read previous editions of this book. They are written in question/answer format and are pretty good for covering the basics.

Baby Fitz is good, but I would recommend the Derm Secrets with supplements from non-Baby Habif if you want to be star.

Hey everybody,

I am starting my derm elective pretty soon and I would like to get prepped for it (especially since I haven't done medicine yet).

Can you give me advice as to how to shine during the elective? Is there any book that I can read to get my knowledge to be at a level that's not embarrassing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I really liked "Lookingbill and Marks' Principles of Dermatology". However, it uses a diff. cutoff for macula, etc. than Fitzpatrick -- caused some problems when I was calling certain lesions patches vs. maculas on my rotation.