Please give me some feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really aiming to apply to med schools next summer. Here's my background:

I graduated from Dartmouth in 2012 with a B.S in economics. My cum. GPA was 3.7. I did not take one single science course in college.

Immediately after graduation, I worked on a start-up project (co-founder) trying to develop a new medical technology which unfortunately failed. After that experience, I joined another start-up (as an early employee) that was successful and subsequently acquired by a Fortune 500 company. I stayed on at the F500 company and am working there now.

Anyways, last year I first had the idea of going to med school. My motivation is that I think I'd really enjoy the experience overall and am very interested in translational medical technology and its interface with patients. I also became disillusioned with other grad school paths (business school, law school etc.)

I initially was going to take my pre-reqs at a local state university, but honestly I just could not justify the costs of doing so. Therefore, I've been taking the pre-med classes in the evening (as I'm still working full-time) at a local community college. I expect to complete all the pre-med reqs by next summer. I've been getting all A's and I expect my science GPA to be around 3.8 (it's dragged down from a B- I got in college in multivariable calculus).

Anyways, do you guys think I'd be competitive in getting into an MD school? I know alot hinges on my MCAT. I"ve been taking a couple practice tests and got a 32. So let's assume I get a 33 on the MCAT.

Just wanted some feedback thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, MCAT is important, but you really need to show your change in heart through LOTS of clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc. What have you done thus far?

Thanks for the response. I've been doing clinical work on the weekends this past semester and plan to do alot more in the summer and in the fall. I definitely believe my passion for medicine will come through in the essays and the apps.

I just wanted to make sure from an academic standpoint I'd be competitive and specifically the issue of taking ALL my pre-reqs at community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never assume with MCAT.

Also, some medical schools will not accept community college credit. Be wary of applying to these schools if you plan on continuing to take prerequisites at a community college.

Thanks,

I guess the question I'm asking is if I could be a competitive applicant given all my pre-med coursework was taken at a CC? Does the other aspects of my application make up for it?

If I were you, I would have looked at post-bac programs w/ linkages. However, I feel that since you decided to go into med school after you graduated it would be easier to explain why you took those classes there rather than at a four-year. Also, you should definitely look at schools you're considering applying to and see what their opinion is or even call for a more valid response!