Please give me your Insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentist88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so Im an avid reader but never have posted anything and I am at a point where I really need some advice, here is my background:

UG GPA = 2.5
Currently in thesis based masters after 1 year GPA = 3.54

DAT's not taken but practice test indicate:
TS = 20 (Bio = 20, Gchem = 22, Ochem = 19)
PAT = 24
QR = 25
RC = 20
AA = 21

I am doing a thesis based masters program in which I am required to do 20-30 hours of lab work a week. Also I am still taking 4 classes (my masters for full-time only requires 2). Also im shadowing a dentist 6 hours a week and TA'ing 2 lab sections which takes up about 8 hours a week of time. I have a really really pressing and busy schedule and I would have liked to do a higher GPA than 3.53 especially after a year of masters, I still have 1 more year to go when I can push that to maybe a 3.6-3.65 or so. Also I will get published at the end of my program if that adds to anything. I know my GPA at this point should be like a 3.9+ to show adcoms but I really am having a hard time pushing it that high because of how much I am doing.

Any insight on whether Im on the right track and if not what I can do would be appreciated. Please dont badger my previous academic records, I know its bad and I have had life impacting situations leading to that UG gpa being so low, but I am trying to get outta that slump and do better.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so Im an avid reader but never have posted anything and I am at a point where I really need some advice, here is my background:

UG GPA = 2.5
Currently in thesis based masters after 1 year GPA = 3.54

DAT's not taken but practice test indicate:
TS = 20 (Bio = 20, Gchem = 22, Ochem = 19)
PAT = 24
QR = 25
RC = 20
AA = 21

I am doing a thesis based masters program in which I am required to do 20-30 hours of lab work a week. Also I am still taking 4 classes (my masters for full-time only requires 2). Also im shadowing a dentist 6 hours a week and TA'ing 2 lab sections which takes up about 8 hours a week of time. I have a really really pressing and busy schedule and I would have liked to do a higher GPA than 3.53 especially after a year of masters, I still have 1 more year to go when I can push that to maybe a 3.6-3.65 or so. Also I will get published at the end of my program if that adds to anything. I know my GPA at this point should be like a 3.9+ to show adcoms but I really am having a hard time pushing it that high because of how much I am doing.

Any insight on whether Im on the right track and if not what I can do would be appreciated. Please dont badger my previous academic records, I know its bad and I have had life impacting situations leading to that UG gpa being so low, but I am trying to get outta that slump and do better.

If you finish your masters with a 3.6, thats good, nothing to be embarrassed about.

As far as are you on the right track... you are doing everything in your power so I think your on the right track....

However, I do believe that 2.5 UG is going to hurt you alot. Its going to stick out like a sore thumb in the application. IMO, your best chance is to aim at schools that have a tradition of "sometimes" looking past pure numbers and focus more on most recent course works. I know for a fact Detroit Mercy has done this in the past (accepted kids with less then 3.0 UGs because they demonstrated huge improvements in post-baccs / masters)... They told us that on the tour day.

Im sure there are a few other schools that do the same, aim at them.... DEFINITELY DON'T APPLY TO Case Western Reserve, they love numbers

It's obvious your GPA is what's holding you back the most at this moment. If I were you, I would try to cut back on the TA-ing and shadowing so that I could focus solely on getting a higher master's gpa and doing well on the DAT. Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
I need the extra money for TA'ing and shadowing is helping me get a great personal letter of rec which I believe would be really important, especially with my lack of GPA I think they would be looking at those more importantly.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I need the extra money for TA'ing and shadowing is helping me get a great personal letter of rec which I believe would be really important, especially with my lack of GPA I think they would be looking at those more importantly.

I think that in the end, a letter of recommendation is a letter of recommendation. I doubt that you spending an extra huge sum of time at one office will really affect what the dentist says about you. I would say 20 hours at an office is enough for a letter. In the end, the most important part of your application is your DAT and your GPA. Its the first thing they look at. If they like that, then maybe they will look at the rest of your application. I wouldn't let anything be put as more important that GPA and DAT. Shadow during spring break or some break from school, but don't let it take away from the most essential part of your application.

yeh don't put too much hopes into LORs / ECs / Volunteering hours / other non-academic things.... The MOST important admission's criteria is the GPA+DAT. No amount of volunteering / shadowing / LORs can overcome that.

My situation is very similar to yours. I graduated ugrad w/ biology degree (state school), overall gpa-b/w 2.5-3.0, sci gpa-around a 2.5. Started a thesis-based MS, gpa-3.7, 2nd author pub, research awards, TA'ed (one of my recs was from the supervising prof of the lab I taught). Completed a summer pre-dent program at UNC. After 2 years I switched to a non-thesis program at another school to obtain a job, and frankly, I never saw an end in sight for my research (I wasn't going for a Ph.D. for crying out loud). Took an entire summer to study for the DAT, while working 50hrs a week. Got a 20 on the DAT, and fortunately, was accepted into my first choice. It can be done. Also, visit your state dental school or wherever your top choice, and meet with the admissions director.... and apply early! Good luck!