WAMC - Losing hope please give some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist2617

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 08/12/2022
Overall GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.41
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.3
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18AA/19TS/17PAT; 16 BIO, 19 GC, 22 OC, 17 RC, 15 QR
State of Residence: TX

Undergrad Attended: Texas A&M
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes (3 gap years)

Shadowing Experience: 300 Hours (200 GD; 20 Pediatric)
Volunteering Experience: 200 Hours
Employment: Dental Technician (2020-2021)
Research: Yes (2 publications, 2nd author)
Other Extracurriculars: Drawing and Swimming
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: Organic chemistry (Strong), Biochemistry, Dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

Texas A&M
TTU El Paso
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (WESTU)
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine - South Jordan, Utah (USN)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)
A.T. Still University's Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)
A.T. Still University Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH)
The University of California at San Francisco (UCSF)
University of New England (UNE)
University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)

Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Members don't see this ad.

GC and QR are likely what is weighing you down. From my understanding, a retake is probably what's best if this cycle does not go your way. ECs look great.

Reactions: 1 user
While I don't think your GPA is actually that low, it's fairly competitive for most programs on your list, I ultimately think your DAT score is what's hurting your application. You have enough shadowing and research experience as well as volunteering. So I don't think that was what is holding you back. Since you're a reapplicant have you retaken the DAT at all to prove to schools you are able to take a rigorous test? You could be getting screened out by schools due to your 16-Bio score, that's low for graduating in biomedical sciences, and may have schools questioning your degree's difficulty or ability to handle dental school.

Your best bet is to get into texas schools since you're in-state, but you'll need a higher DAT score to be more competitive, an 18AA isn't strong enough. I think the average for texas schools is 21AA. Have you heard back at all from the schools on your list, your list isn't bad, I think you have a good amount of reach and target schools. Hopefully, you will hear back after the December 15th deadline for schools. It's possible you'll hear back once they know who's committed and who declined seats/interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)