MD & DO PLEASE HELP!!!! 3.32 GPA, what are my chances/some schools that are fit for my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchihastan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
  • 3.32 cGPA
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore this 3.32 GPA is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.0ish sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
    • I have explanations for gen chem 1 and genetics
    • Gen chem 1- I was in the ER with a bad virus and my professor made it clear he did not offer make up exams so the day after I was discharged I took it on time and failed. I would have gotten a B- at least otherwise
    • C in genetics was due to bad instruction on professors end, so bad in fact many students complained and she was put on academic probation + was not allowed to teach the course the semester after I took it. I found out that she was put on probation last semester. I took the class Fall 2018, so she was put on probation from my semester then and to my knowledge she is still on probation and is not teaching the same course again this spring.
  • Undergraduate research assistant at my university's medical school for one year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well

I plan to do research during a gap year while studying for the mCAT. I am applying for the NIH postbacc program specifically as well as cancer research assistant positions at Georgetown and other institutions. I am also looking at becoming a scribe, a medical assistant (need to get certified first), or working as a volunteer in hospice care during my time off.

I am also debating on getting my masters in tumor biology first, its a year long program, because I am very passionate about cancer the subject and would love to be more educated in it before pursuing a career in oncology if I get into medical school. I also think maybe having more experience in upper level coursework might give me another chance to show better grades?

Clearly, I need to narrow down my options so I am looking for some help on that as well!

My main questions are:
  • What would be the ideal mCAT score threshold for me?
  • How will I fare in the application process?
  • Tips on studying for mCAT?
  • I am not picky- as long as the schools are in the states I am open to applying. Also happy with DO and MD.
  • What is the maximum amount of times I can take the mCAT that is acceptable?

I have been googling around but haven’t found much that specifically gives me insight on my situation. Please feel free to be honest, I appreciate any comments on this post and the time taken to cultivate them. I am open to any feedback. I look forward to learning more about how I will fare!! Thank you in advance and sorry about the length!

- agy2020

Members don't see this ad.

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
  • 3.32 cGPA
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore this 3.32 GPA is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.0ish sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
    • I have explanations for gen chem 1 and genetics
    • Gen chem 1- I was in the ER with a bad virus and my professor made it clear he did not offer make up exams so the day after I was discharged I took it on time and failed. I would have gotten a B- at least otherwise
    • C in genetics was due to bad instruction on professors end, so bad in fact many students complained and she was put on academic probation + was not allowed to teach the course the semester after I took it. I found out that she was put on probation last semester. I took the class Fall 2018, so she was put on probation from my semester then and to my knowledge she is still on probation and is not teaching the same course again this spring.
  • Undergraduate research assistant at my university's medical school for one year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well
I plan to do research during a gap year while studying for the mCAT. I am applying for the NIH postbacc program specifically as well as cancer research assistant positions at Georgetown and other institutions. I am also looking at becoming a scribe, a medical assistant (need to get certified first), or working as a volunteer in hospice care during my time off.

I am also debating on getting my masters in tumor biology first, its a year long program, because I am very passionate about cancer the subject and would love to be more educated in it before pursuing a career in oncology if I get into medical school. I also think maybe having more experience in upper level coursework might give me another chance to show better grades?

Clearly, I need to narrow down my options so I am looking for some help on that as well!

My main questions are:
  • What would be the ideal mCAT score threshold for me?
  • How will I fare in the application process?
  • Tips on studying for mCAT?
  • I am not picky- as long as the schools are in the states I am open to applying. Also happy with DO and MD.
  • What is the maximum amount of times I can take the mCAT that is acceptable?
I have been googling around but haven’t found much that specifically gives me insight on my situation. Please feel free to be honest, I appreciate any comments on this post and the time taken to cultivate them. I am open to any feedback. I look forward to learning more about how I will fare!! Thank you in advance and sorry about the length!

From your main questions first:
1) Ideal MCAT score: as high as you possibly can.
2) Do you know the process? AAMC has a pretty good site for applicants (aspiringdocs I think is the quicklink word on Google?)
3) We have a forum on that.
5) MCAT: plan to take it once and study for it like your life depended on it. You really don't want to get into which schools average scores, take superscores, or consider your most recent attempt. Get it done once and don't worry about it.

In general: how much networking have you done? Have you talked to other medical students, or gone to any local chapter functions of the National Medical Association? Who have you shadowed among clinicians, and are they networked with physician associations or medical schools (adjunct or practicing faculty in the field)? Have you talked with diversity/student affairs officers at the schools you have interest in about your pending application?

Did you do any non-clinical or clinical volunteer work?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From your main questions first:
1) Ideal MCAT score: as high as you possibly can.
2) Do you know the process? AAMC has a pretty good site for applicants (aspiringdocs I think is the quicklink word on Google?)
3) We have a forum on that.
5) MCAT: plan to take it once and study for it like your life depended on it. You really don't want to get into which schools average scores, take superscores, or consider your most recent attempt. Get it done once and don't worry about it.

In general: how much networking have you done? Have you talked to other medical students, or gone to any local chapter functions of the National Medical Association? Who have you shadowed among clinicians, and are they networked with physician associations or medical schools (adjunct or practicing faculty in the field)? Have you talked with diversity/student affairs officers at the schools you have interest in about your pending application?

Thank you so much! I have not done much networking. I am applying for a summer research assistant position at GW's emergency department so I can network then! I have not shadowed physicians as well besides during my time as a scribe shadow when I would follow residents or attending physicians into patients rooms to write as they asked them questions.

I did not even know these associations existed nor had I thought to speak with the diversity/student affairs officers at the schools I'm interested in.

I am also going to apply for GW's SMP program (as well as others most likely) to help strengthen my application.

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

Did you do any non-clinical or clinical volunteer work?
Hello!

I have nonclinical hours such as at soup kitchens in South East DC as well as working at the composting and gardening center all of last semester. I am chair of philanthropy in my frat so I also make sure members are giving back to the communities in ways such as soup kitchens, food pantries, etc.

I am also looking at volunteering in hospice care over the summer possibly. Not sure how I would fit it in if I get into the the summer research assistant position I am applying for [mentioned in comment above]

I don’t think you have nearly enough volunteer work since your frat position seems more like delegating. Helping at the soup kitchen and the composting center is great and all but it doesnt seem that unique. I would find some volunteer work that involves directly helping people and that ties into your personal narrative so you have a chance at presenting a compelling story. Just my 2 cents

I don’t think you have nearly enough volunteer work since your frat position seems more like delegating. Helping at the soup kitchen and the composting center is great and all but it doesnt seem that unique. I would find some volunteer work that involves directly helping people and that ties into your personal narrative so you have a chance at presenting a compelling story. Just my 2 cents
That is great advice thank you!! So volunteering in hospice care would be a good option, correct?

It definitely is. In my opinion, volunteering can not only be used to show altruism but to also show what you value. I dealt with bullying as a kid so when I had the opportunity to work in a big brother program it was a natural fit. It makes it easier to tie into your story if you pick causes you truly believe in. Thus.. your volunteer work is a tad on the bland side. You can also use shadowing the same way

It definitely is. In my opinion, volunteering can not only be used to show altruism but to also show what you value. I dealt with bullying as a kid so when I had the opportunity to work in a big brother program it was a natural fit. It makes it easier to tie into your story if you pick causes you truly believe in. Thus.. your volunteer work is a tad on the bland side. You can also use shadowing the same way
Thank you!! Yes I will definitely do that as well. I dealt with bullying as a kid as well so hats off to you for turning that experience into something that can help others!

It’s one of the main reasons that drew me to medicine. It doesn’t matter if you have those experiences if you don’t have any activities to tie them to. They could say sure... you might have dealt with some adversity growing up but was it really transformative if there’s no evidence of transformation? Not trying to **** on your volunteering but if that’s the narrative you want to run with how does soup kitchens and compost tie into that?

Just something to consider. Also make less excuses for subpar grades. While people here might be sympathetic, I highly doubt adcoms will be when they spend only a few minutes glancing over your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s one of the main reasons that drew me to medicine. It doesn’t matter if you have those experiences if you don’t have any activities to tie them to. They could say sure... you might have dealt with some adversity growing up but was it really transformative if there’s no evidence of transformation? Not trying to **** on your volunteering but if that’s the narrative you want to run with how does soup kitchens and compost tie into that?
no you make a great point. I definitely want to think about better ways to tie in my volunteering with stuff that means a lot to me (not that what I wasn't doing before wasn't meaningful) but I will for sure look into hospice care volunteering because I do love to help people + I want to go into oncology so being able to learn how to help those who aren't necessarily getting better will be challenging but well worth it

Just wanted to jump in say that volunteering at a soup kitchen is totally fine and shows service to those who are less fortunate than you. Half of my non-clinical volunteering came from volunteering at a soup kitchen, fwiw.

Didn’t say it wasn’t fine. Just a tad on the generic side.

Didn’t say it wasn’t fine. Just a tad on the generic side.

Nothing wrong with generic as long as you get something out of the experience. I am someone who loves to cook and bake and wrote about the experience of using something I love to do in service of helping others and discussed the experience of making food for others from people who came from different cultural backgrounds. Most people do generic things (which is why they are generic). But how you write and reflect on the experience is what can make it unique to you. Just wanted to offer up a difference perspective!

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing wrong with generic as long as you get something out of the experience. I am someone who loves to cook and bake and wrote about the experience of using something I love to do in service of helping others and discussed the experience of making food for others from people who came from different cultural backgrounds. Most people do generic things (which is why they are generic). But how you write and reflect on the experience is what can make it unique to you. Just wanted to offer up a difference perspective!
Your perspective is much appreciated, thank you so much!! I really do enjoy volunteering there and I think it can be tied back to medicine because the people benefitting from this service are those also experiencing health disparities, etc. Thank you so much for your input!