Please help ..Advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoops43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: Cumulative-3.57; Science-3.50
MCAT: 24P (VR-7, BS-7, PS-10)
Wisc Residency

Shadowing: 100+ hrs (Family, IM, Peds).

Volunteer Hours:
-Hospital ED: 2 years, 300+ hrs
-volunteer abroad in india over winter breaks for the last 3 years
-YMCA adaptive fitness program – 50 hrs
Work:
CNA – 5 years, worked part time during breaks and summer
Phelbotomy tech – 3 years, worked part time
Part time administrative job during 2 years of undergrad

Research:
4 years
Publication pending as 2nd author
Leadership:
State president for health organization – 1 year
Exec board for 2 years for one student org – was VP the 2nd year
Exec board for 1 year for another student org in undergrad

With all this ^^ I applied this cycle and go 0 MD interviews, 3 DO interviews and 3 DO acceptances.
I recently retook the mcat and got – 28 P (VR-7, BS-10, PS-11) … have been working full time as CNA and phlebotomy tech since graduating (graduated in dec. 3.5 years)
What do you guys think about reapplying with these stats to MD programs? Any specific schools that I should consider? Thanks for all the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're dead set on MD and not DO, then really it's just your MCAT that's holding you back. VR makes it unbalanced, I think a 3-5 point increase would put you over the top. What's your state of residency? Besides the MCAT, all I can say is did you apply top-heavy?

my state of residency is wisconsin. And no i didn't apply top-heavy at all. I applied to two instate schools (UW and MCW) and chicago.
Are you saying that applying with a 28 will yield me the same results as this past cycle? Never been a good test taker and MCAT has come across as a rude awakening to me. What about the gpa, isn't that towards the low end too?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: Cumulative-3.57; Science-3.50
MCAT: 24P (VR-7, BS-7, PS-10)
Wisc Residency

Shadowing: 100+ hrs (Family, IM, Peds).

Volunteer Hours:
-Hospital ED: 2 years, 300+ hrs
-volunteer abroad in india over winter breaks for the last 3 years
-YMCA adaptive fitness program – 50 hrs
Work:
CNA – 5 years, worked part time during breaks and summer
Phelbotomy tech – 3 years, worked part time
Part time administrative job during 2 years of undergrad

Research:
4 years
Publication pending as 2nd author
Leadership:
State president for health organization – 1 year
Exec board for 2 years for one student org – was VP the 2nd year
Exec board for 1 year for another student org in undergrad

With all this ^^ I applied this cycle and go 0 MD interviews, 3 DO interviews and 3 DO acceptances.
I recently retook the mcat and got – 28 P (VR-7, BS-10, PS-11) … have been working full time as CNA and phlebotomy tech since graduating (graduated in dec. 3.5 years)
What do you guys think about reapplying with these stats to MD programs? Any specific schools that I should consider? Thanks for all the help!!
Of All Applicants applying in the last three years to AMCAS schools with a 3.57/28, about 44% got an acceptance to an MD school. This includes members of special population groups, like exmilitary, Peace Corps, those completing postbacs with a high GPA or having a high BCPM GPA, members of under-represented goups in medicine, the disadvantaged, rural track participants, etc. Those with your cGPA would have needed an MCAT score of 32 to have a 68% chance, so a much higher MCAT score would be another way to get MD schools' attention.

As suggested below, applicants with a 3.57/24 had a 22% chance.

Last edited:
on my commute right now so don't have the numbers but someone should post the percent accepted stat for his gpa and (old) 24 mcat to convince him that regardless of these percentages, he could end up with 0 acceptances again.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk