Please help! Can I send out LORs from my home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a summer program and two instructors wrote evaluations and mailed a copy to me. Can I just photocopy/print these letters myself to send to some schools or do I have to bother these instructors and ask them to do it. How would the med schools know the difference anyway? LORs are not required to have a signature across the envelope seal are they? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, the answer is absolutely not. All letters of rec have to be sent by the reference writer, or, if you have a premedical comittee, to be forwarded to them and they will send it out to your designated med schools. I'm not sure how they would know whether you or they sent it, but often med schools want a form sent along with it that is signed by your letter writer. Use your judgement, but I think you should bug them one more time.

Thanks Joseph. I already have had my committee letter sent out. THis is just an additional evaluation I'd like to send out so I have no forms to give the writers. But to play it safe, you are right, I gues I should let them send them out instead of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey E'01,

I agree with Joseph. I know it's a hassle, but if you do have a pre-med committee then talk to the advisor and see what exactly must be done. If you don't, then just contact the school(s) and see what they want. I would hate it if my LOR's just got tossed in the trash because they weren't mailed properly or however schools want them mailed. Just my two-cents, anyway. Take care and good luck! Ciao.

But why couldn't you send them as part of your "supplemental Information" stuff. I would send them, just write a letter (more like brief note explaining what they are, say that they add to your overall application because (fill in the blanks). I don't see how it can hurt. BTW, was this from MMEP? I know they do evaluations!

GOOD LUCK!
Bebe

Ahh Bebe yes you guessed correctly. It was the yale mmep that I did. Did you participate last summer? I called Cornell and they said what you said in terms of what to write ... "adding to overall application etc". It would be part of my supplemental information and I figured that I could just copy the two letters I got and mail them out with an explanation note. But I'm not sure if schools would prefer it to be official (sealed and sent by the writer).

Everyone always gives great advice on SDN - now I'm torn!

Originally posted by bebe:
•But why couldn't you send them as part of your "supplemental Information" stuff.•••

They don't want you sending these things yourself because you then have the opportunity to "adjust" the content. You know people are out there who would. :)