1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Please help: Chances for PCOM & LECOM post bac?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hunda1, Dec 25, 2008.

1. hunda1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am really interested in attending PCOM as a post bac and improving my chances of getting into a DO school. My cGPA is 2.83 with a major in Biological Sciences and a 24Q on MCAT. I have some volunteering experience, shadowed a physician, President & Treasurer of an organization.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Are you trying to determine your chances at entering one of these programs or are you trying to determine you chances at getting into a DO school AFTER having gone through one of these post-bac programs?

Most of us aren't familiar with these specific programs, but if you give us some links and some more info, we'd be glad to try and help. :)

4. mooman

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Chocolate Bear raises a good question; with those stats it looks like you should be able to get in to either PCOM or LECOM's post-bac program... what do you want to do from there?

5. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LECOM's postbac is just a certification, but I was told their match rate into LECOM-E is very good by the admissions. I'm not sure about PCOM's though.

I was accepted to LECOM's postback back in April, but I took AZCOM's SMP when I was accepted.

6. aaronwillen

aaronwillen Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

#5 aaronwillen, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. hunda1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. After completion of the post bac program I'm trying to get into the DO school. I just need another chance cuz I didn't do that great as an undergrad and scared whether I stand a chance getting into any of the post bac programs.

I looked into Drexel programs too and interested in the MSP track. I was wondering if you have information about it?

8. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    My classmates who did the biomed post-bac last year are extremely well-prepared for med school. At least the first term. Several of them were among the best students in the class.

9. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any idea how AZCOM's MA is viewed by MD schools?? I used to cruise the SMP forums and there was some questions raised about it, but most people in it seemed to be applying to dental school.

10. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was going to make a little info thread about it in the Post bac forum, but I guess I'll try it out.

This is the first year of the MA program, but it is going off of the reputation of the MBS/2 year program, so I guess you can judge it by that. They do have a nice linkage 'offer' for biomed students.

I believe it is a 3.0 at the end of the 2nd quarter to get an interview. MCAT and DAT scores vary I'm guessing, but there is a cutoff that I can't remember at this time.

If you ask me, the program isn't as widely known and all of my other interviews did not even know I was in such a program, but rather I was in school. So, I guess that would be a no to MD schools caring about it. Maybe after you get the degree it'll matter, but not during.

11. Chocolate Bear

I would definitely pose these questions to the directors of said programs. They can accurately asses your chances of being admitted into their post-bac/SMP and how strong the linkage is to the respective school's medical program.

12. aaronwillen

5+ Year Member

#11 aaronwillen, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  13. Chocolate Bear

Your D+ in Physics 2 isn't acceptable for admissions at most schools. You need at least a C for all schools that require the course. All schools will require Orgo 1 and 2, and a C- isn't acceptable either.

14. aaronwillen

5+ Year Member

#13 aaronwillen, Jan 1, 2009
  15. Chocolate Bear

Congrats.

16. aaronwillen

5+ Year Member

#15 aaronwillen, Jan 1, 2009
  17. aaronwillen

5+ Year Member

#16 aaronwillen, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  18. Eudjinn

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    with a D in a pre-requisite? pics or it didn't happen

19. Maybe he took other higher level physics?

20. Chocolate Bear

That wouldn't explain anything at most schools. An A+ in Advanced Cellular and Molecular Bio and an A in Anatomy and Physiology wouldn't make up for D's in Bio I and II.

At least that's the case at most schools. I thought it was all schools, but apparently there might be exceptions.

21. I was mainly looking at wording. Schools say General Chemistry, General Biology, but they do not say general physics. Maybe this is just pedantic. I think we can both agree that this is grasping at straws and would be the exception rather than the rule, as most upper level physics would require intro as a pre-req, and a D would not cut it.