Please help: Chances for PCOM & LECOM post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunda1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in attending PCOM as a post bac and improving my chances of getting into a DO school. My cGPA is 2.83 with a major in Biological Sciences and a 24Q on MCAT. I have some volunteering experience, shadowed a physician, President & Treasurer of an organization.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really interested in attending PCOM as a post bac and improving my chances of getting into a DO school. My cGPA is 2.83 with a major in Biological Sciences and a 24Q on MCAT. I have some volunteering experience, shadowed a physician, President & Treasurer of an organization.

Are you trying to determine your chances at entering one of these programs or are you trying to determine you chances at getting into a DO school AFTER having gone through one of these post-bac programs?

Most of us aren't familiar with these specific programs, but if you give us some links and some more info, we'd be glad to try and help. :)

Chocolate Bear raises a good question; with those stats it looks like you should be able to get in to either PCOM or LECOM's post-bac program... what do you want to do from there?

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM's postbac is just a certification, but I was told their match rate into LECOM-E is very good by the admissions. I'm not sure about PCOM's though.

I was accepted to LECOM's postback back in April, but I took AZCOM's SMP when I was accepted.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. After completion of the post bac program I'm trying to get into the DO school. I just need another chance cuz I didn't do that great as an undergrad and scared whether I stand a chance getting into any of the post bac programs.

I looked into Drexel programs too and interested in the MSP track. I was wondering if you have information about it?

My classmates who did the biomed post-bac last year are extremely well-prepared for med school. At least the first term. Several of them were among the best students in the class.

LECOM's postbac is just a certification, but I was told their match rate into LECOM-E is very good by the admissions. I'm not sure about PCOM's though.

I was accepted to LECOM's postback back in April, but I took AZCOM's SMP when I was accepted.

Any idea how AZCOM's MA is viewed by MD schools?? I used to cruise the SMP forums and there was some questions raised about it, but most people in it seemed to be applying to dental school.

Any idea how AZCOM's MA is viewed by MD schools?? I used to cruise the SMP forums and there was some questions raised about it, but most people in it seemed to be applying to dental school.

I was going to make a little info thread about it in the Post bac forum, but I guess I'll try it out.

This is the first year of the MA program, but it is going off of the reputation of the MBS/2 year program, so I guess you can judge it by that. They do have a nice linkage 'offer' for biomed students.

I believe it is a 3.0 at the end of the 2nd quarter to get an interview. MCAT and DAT scores vary I'm guessing, but there is a cutoff that I can't remember at this time.

If you ask me, the program isn't as widely known and all of my other interviews did not even know I was in such a program, but rather I was in school. So, I guess that would be a no to MD schools caring about it. Maybe after you get the degree it'll matter, but not during.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. After completion of the post bac program I'm trying to get into the DO school. I just need another chance cuz I didn't do that great as an undergrad and scared whether I stand a chance getting into any of the post bac programs.

I looked into Drexel programs too and interested in the MSP track. I was wondering if you have information about it?

I would definitely pose these questions to the directors of said programs. They can accurately asses your chances of being admitted into their post-bac/SMP and how strong the linkage is to the respective school's medical program.

Last edited:
As for the MSP program...I dont know too much about it. I know its a certificate program. I know you take more of the traditional prereq type classes...physics..orgo.etc. The thing I like about the MFS program is that you definately stand out in the sea of applicants...trust me. Every single interviewer I have had has made some sort of like "oh neat" type comment and then proceeded to ask me if CSI was fake or not haha. In my opinion you are better off taking some diverse science classes rather than trying to retake undergrad classes. I got a C- in both organic 1 and 2...a B in physics 1 and a D+ in physics 2 when i was an undergrad. All those grades stand and were never retaken.

Your D+ in Physics 2 isn't acceptable for admissions at most schools. You need at least a C for all schools that require the course. All schools will require Orgo 1 and 2, and a C- isn't acceptable either.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Maybe he took other higher level physics?

That wouldn't explain anything at most schools. An A+ in Advanced Cellular and Molecular Bio and an A in Anatomy and Physiology wouldn't make up for D's in Bio I and II.

At least that's the case at most schools. I thought it was all schools, but apparently there might be exceptions.

I was mainly looking at wording. Schools say General Chemistry, General Biology, but they do not say general physics. Maybe this is just pedantic. I think we can both agree that this is grasping at straws and would be the exception rather than the rule, as most upper level physics would require intro as a pre-req, and a D would not cut it.