Please help choose graduation gift for future MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend is graduating from college this week, and will be going to MIZZOU medical school. I am wondering what to get him as a gift. I have talked with various people in his family....and they have taken care of the obvious things. Please let me know what you have thought was helpful in school! Also, I will be starting medical school in the fall....so the information would be twice as helpful!! Thanks for any and all input.

Members don't see this ad.

How much $$ do you want to spend? What do you mean about others getting all the basic stuff- what is that? Anyone going to med school is going to need some cheap scrubs that they can burn after gross anatomy is over. You could contact the med school bookstore at wherever he is going and get a gift certificate. Inscribed pens are always nice, use name and DO or MD so that the recipient can have something to look forward to. What are the costs of those medical bags? You could check some sites on the net for medical supplies and get some ideas. Netter's Anatomy is always a favorite. This should give you some ideas!

Since you are posting here, I am assuming you wanted to give a gift related to med school.

If you have the money, a stethoscope is very appropriate. They are an absolute must for any medical student. The good ones cost $150-250. The most versatile is the Littman cardiology III -- it can be used for both adult and pediatrics and is a very fine instrument. It can be used in med school and latter practice.

I would not bother with a diagnostic set. It is more expensive than a stethoscope and you do not know yet whether or not it will be needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Double elle,
I don't know much about what to buy for your friend but I have one idea. Why don't the two of you go out and do something great. (GO to a concert in KC, St. Louis or Chicago or something else you woulnd't otherwise do) Life is about to get really crazy for both of you and when you are sitting in the middle of an anatomy lab or biochem lecture next fall it would be really nice to sit and reflect on something fun you did over the summer.

As for things you need before starting, don't buy anything unless you find a way to pick up things cheap and used from upperclassmen that are dumping things. (Such as books, see the class of 2005 Meeting room for the rest of the info I am writing.

Double Elle,

How about a caduceus tie tac or cuff links. I got a sterling silver caduceus charm on a necklace. There are some of these items on ebay. If he is a Treky, there is a pair of caduceus pins from Star Trek.

If you buy a stethescope, just get a Master Classic 2 or something, don't spend over $100...no first, second, third, or 4th year can tell the difference between a $75 or a $200 stethescope. Most docs can't either.
Use the rest of the money you saved and buy him dinner and drinks and then go to the "Blue Note" in Columbia and check out a band.

I definately disagree on the stethoscope. There is a huge difference in scopes. A master cardiologist type may be too much but there is a huge difference, especially when you are first learning.

a rolex watch is fine with me! :rolleyes:

If you are looking for a practical gift, buy your friend a scalpel along with a box of blades.

Hello Lisa! Where did you see the cadeuceus jewelry? I have just the friend I'd like to get it for! Thanks!

Here's a suggestion.... How about just plain old DINERO!!! I'm sure that will help with the finances of any medical student or future doc. :D