Please help! Currently freaking out about my grades!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted821402

I am currently a first semester sophomore and I am very worried with how my grades are. My first semester of my freshman year was pretty good (all A or A-), but my grades dropped a bit second semester (a couple B) because of a couple stupid classes. My GPA as of now is around 3.65, mainly because of those Bs from last semester. Now, I am in organic chemistry and I am finding it very difficult. I am getting help, but my grades are not reflecting that and I am beginning to worry that I won't be able to make an A in this class. I know that organic chem is supposed to be hard and whatnot, but it is honestly making me hate being premed, even though I definitely want to become a doctor and practice medicine one day. Can someone please advise on what I can do? I am so worried and stressed about this right now and I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a breath, it's hard for everyone. The key, as obvious as it sounds is, STUDY. Practice problems are you friend. Obviously do the best you can but I'm sure no one will bat an eye if you don't get an A in ochem. Just try to understand concepts and apply to a variety of situations. You'll get through it.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to relax. Your GPA is fine! A LOT of people struggle with OChem. If you don't get an A, it's fine. Just Ace the rest of your classes.

When I took organic (I had to withdraw because I had a D... and had to retake it), I studied for that class SO MUCH my grades fell, and I still wasn't doing well. Trust me, I get how you're feeling. A B won't kill you, though. Worry not!

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to relax. Your GPA is fine! A LOT of people struggle with OChem. If you don't get an A, it's fine. Just Ace the rest of your classes.

When I took organic (I had to withdraw because I had a D... and had to retake it), I studied for that class SO MUCH my grades fell, and I still wasn't doing well. Trust me, I get how you're feeling. A B won't kill you, though. Worry not!
How many credits did you drop to?

“I didn’t make an A in X class” - you and 85% of the rest of the class.

Seriously, you’ll be fine! (Virtually) Everybody applies with a couple Bs on record, and I’m presently applying with a C and change and have received multiple interviews.

Work your best, make the grade you make, and move on. That’s the best any of us can do.

Sophomore GPA slump due to O Chem is very common. Many recover their GPA Junior and Senior years. As others have said though, a couple Bs or Cs won't kill you.

I am currently a first semester sophomore and I am very worried with how my grades are. My first semester of my freshman year was pretty good (all A or A-), but my grades dropped a bit second semester (a couple B) because of a couple stupid classes. My GPA as of now is around 3.65, mainly because of those Bs from last semester. Now, I am in organic chemistry and I am finding it very difficult. I am getting help, but my grades are not reflecting that and I am beginning to worry that I won't be able to make an A in this class. I know that organic chem is supposed to be hard and whatnot, but it is honestly making me hate being premed, even though I definitely want to become a doctor and practice medicine one day. Can someone please advise on what I can do? I am so worried and stressed about this right now and I don't know what to do.

Believe me! I somewhat know what you're going through. I'm a sophomore rn and I got two B+s, one in Art and another in this stupid class -_- trust me, the B's are annoying but it's fine! Not a big deal! Just work hard and keep the GPA above 3.7ish. You'll be fine and you still have lots of time!! My gpa's around a 3.80 right now and I had to withdrAw from Orgo, bc I tried taking it over the summer. Lol Orgo is known for ******* over people.

Practice, practice, try to get tutoring etc. you'll be fine. Just relax. And try to understand the concepts. Also, RELAX, again!

Thanks everyone. I had just gotten out of a pretty rough Ochem exam and I was really freaking out. I just keep meeting all these premed students who have close to 4.0 GPAs and are somehow perfectly managing a million extracurriculars, so I feel like my chances of actually getting into a med school are pretty low when compared to all of them.

Thanks everyone. I had just gotten out of a pretty rough Ochem exam and I was really freaking out. I just keep meeting all these premed students who have close to 4.0 GPAs and are somehow perfectly managing a million extracurriculars, so I feel like my chances of actually getting into a med school are pretty low when compared to all of them.
I have a 3.1gpa with a 505 MCAT and I got in. A few Bs and Cs are not going to prevent you from becoming a doctor

Edit: I'm a white dude that had a 2.44gpa my first two years of college. You don't have to be a urm or get perfect grades, you just need to string together a solid two years (3.7+) to show adcoms your overall gpa is not an accurate reflection of you. I got into DO so this advice may not apply as well to MD schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Pre-meds lie.

**In all seriousness, while of course there are some people who are able to maintain 4.0s while also casually doing ground-breaking, cancer-curing research in their spare time, most future-med students are normal humans who have strengths and weaknesses (and a few Bs on their transcript). Try to focus on doing the best you can and don't worry what your classmates are telling you they're doing.

Reactions: 1 users
I had like a 2.5 after my first semester. Got serious and graduated with a 3.8x
You'll be aight