Please help for choosing UG school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STIG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, how you guys doing?
this is my very first post at SDN and i really need help a lot.
i have been reading all these posts for a while and i never really posted anyone, and here is my situation
i came to the united states 2 years ago from my country (Myanmar/Burma somewhere in ASIA)and i m chinese. i went to my country medical school for about less than a year and i withdrew myself from my school because of all kind of reasons.
So, basically i started all over again going to the Junoir College here and decided to do pre-med again. i took most of the lower division classes such as 1 year of biology, 1 year of general chem, 1 year of orgain chem, 1 year of english, and 1 year of calculus and all those GE classes. so i applied to 4 year college last fall and i get accepted to UC BERKELEY, UCSD, and UCD (still waiting from UCLA). I am volunterring at healt trust for 7 or 8 hrs a week. i think i did not too bad in my JC. i got one C on my english1A class since i dont enjoy doing that class very much and they teacher didnt like me at all. other than that i have A in all my classes. i am planning to take MCAT this august.
My question is which school would be the best choice for me? and what should i do next? (i am leaning towards to uc berkeley)??

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated and i know there're a lot of helpful ppl on this board

thanks you all in advance

-Linn

Members don't see this ad.

dc52e55 said:
hello everyone, how you guys doing?
this is my very first post at SDN and i really need help a lot.
i have been reading all these posts for a while and i never really posted anyone, and here is my situation
i came to the united states 2 years ago from my country (Myanmar/Burma somewhere in ASIA)and i m chinese. i went to my country medical school for about less than a year and i withdrew myself from my school because of all kind of reasons.
So, basically i started all over again going to the Junoir College here and decided to do pre-med again. i took most of the lower division classes such as 1 year of biology, 1 year of general chem, 1 year of orgain chem, 1 year of english, and 1 year of calculus and all those GE classes. so i applied to 4 year college last fall and i get accepted to UC BERKELEY, UCSD, and UCD (still waiting from UCLA). I am volunterring at healt trust for 7 or 8 hrs a week. i think i did not too bad in my JC. i got one C on my english1A class since i dont enjoy doing that class very much and they teacher didnt like me at all. other than that i have A in all my classes. i am planning to take MCAT this august.
My question is which school would be the best choice for me? and what should i do next? (i am leaning towards to uc berkeley)??

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated and i know there're a lot of helpful ppl on this board

thanks you all in advance

-Linn

Linn - since you're a previous med student, you shouldn't have any difficulty whatsoever with the science courses at Berkeley. Therefore, because you have this distinct advantage, go there and stand out with the great grades. Just make sure you take alot of the GE courses during this summer (at the JC) before matriculation so you won't have to worry about them at the 4-year school. Unless you feel you can handle them as an international student. :)

Go to Cal, its the best of the bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would agree with berkeley only because its in norcal..and you can't beat that...hot spots everywhere..but on a real note it really depends on location now because all the schools you got into are all really good. If you are a research type of person UCSD would definitely be ideal..not that the others aren't good..but I went to UCSD and it is a really good research institution. If location matters sunny so cal is great too...but seeing that youa re an international student berkeley is definitely a good fit because all kinds of different types of people go there and you get to encounter all of them... either way all are good..but if I was back in your position..ucb all the way...go bears!!!

hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies.
please let the ideas and suggestions coming. :)
plus, do u guys think that it would be better to take the MCAT this august or wait for next April?

1. Go to Berkeley.
2. Wait until next April to take the MCAT.
3. Your English is pretty good, but you still need a lot of work, particularly on the articles (a, an, and the). Take some classes in English as a Second Language (advanced level), get some books on it, or study it on the Internet. A poor knowledge of English will be a liability in the admissions process.