Please help! GRE in a week and I'm confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfishties

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to look for this on the search function and on the ETS website but I can't find a clear answer. Apologies if this is just an obvious question but I'm taking the test next Monday (computer-based).

1) How do I put which four schools I want the score to be sent to? I know on the paper-based you write it on your admissions ticket but there isn't one for the computer-based test (right??). Do I just write it on a paper and bring it to the test center with me and fill it out on the computer at some point? Which brings me to my second question...

2) We put the schools we want our scores sent to according to their institutional codes, correct? Do we also need the department code? Do we report both numbers for each program?

3) In your experience, will many schools keep your GRE score on file if you're not applying until the following year? I'm not applying right away but I wanted to get the test over with and didn't want to lose the free scores. One school I spoke to said they would keep the score on file. Do most schools do this? (I'm still finalizing my other three.)

4) Okay, this must sound very dumb but just to be sure-- all I need to bring with me is an appropriate ID and possibly the list of schools I want my score sent to?

THANK YOU to anyone who can set my mind at ease.

Members don't see this ad.

I've tried to look for this on the search function and on the ETS website but I can't find a clear answer. Apologies if this is just an obvious question but I'm taking the test next Monday (computer-based).

1) How do I put which four schools I want the score to be sent to? I know on the paper-based you write it on your admissions ticket but there isn't one for the computer-based test (right??). Do I just write it on a paper and bring it to the test center with me and fill it out on the computer at some point? Which brings me to my second question...

2) We put the schools we want our scores sent to according to their institutional codes, correct? Do we also need the department code? Do we report both numbers for each program?

3) In your experience, will many schools keep your GRE score on file if you're not applying until the following year? I'm not applying right away but I wanted to get the test over with and didn't want to lose the free scores. One school I spoke to said they would keep the score on file. Do most schools do this? (I'm still finalizing my other three.)

4) Okay, this must sound very dumb but just to be sure-- all I need to bring with me is an appropriate ID and possibly the list of schools I want my score sent to?

THANK YOU to anyone who can set my mind at ease.

After you finish the GED on teh computer, the computer will have you do a search for the schools and programs you want to apply to (limit 4; any more than 4 you will have to do once you have your official score report in hand). If your schools have program codes, yes, use the program code, but otherwise, just the one for the school will be fine.

Yes, most schools keep the scores on file.

You will not be allowed to bring *anything* into the test room, so make sure you know which schools you want to do for your four scores, because you won't be able to bring a list in. However, you just need the school name/department - it will provide the code for you.

Thanks!! I have all the same questions.
One more:
I'm applying to way more than 4 schools, but I don't have a completely finalized list yet. If I make sure I have 4 definites when I go into the GRE, then a few weeks later can I send the scores to other schools online or something? How does that work?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you most certainly can and there are a variety of ways.

here is the link on the ets website about ordering additional score reports:
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...nnel=c50946f1674f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

you can do it online, by phone, or in hard copy...i did it the online way and its super easy..it sorts by state and you can find the school without needing to know the code (which at times can get confusing)

Thanks!! I have all the same questions.
One more:
I'm applying to way more than 4 schools, but I don't have a completely finalized list yet. If I make sure I have 4 definites when I go into the GRE, then a few weeks later can I send the scores to other schools online or something? How does that work?

yes, you most certainly can and there are a variety of ways.

here is the link on the ets website about ordering additional score reports:
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...nnel=c50946f1674f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

you can do it online, by phone, or in hard copy...i did it the online way and its super easy..it sorts by state and you can find the school without needing to know the code (which at times can get confusing)

Yesss thank you!! That saves me so much time/effort/stress trying to figure it out. One less thing to think about! You're a gem!! :D