Please help!! I'm so lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to say thank you to anyone who is reading my post and giving advice. I'm so lost right now and don't know what to do anymore.....
This is my stat:
My undergrad science GPA: 2.97
My master science GPA: 3.75
3rd DAT: AA 19, TS 19
I applied for Fall 2018 cycle but got rejected. I am currently applying for SMP at MWU AZ and IL, NOVA, and Temple. I've been reading many threads about the pros and cons of the SMP, so I don't know if I should apply to more SMP or should I retake the DAT. But if I retake the DAT then it would be my 4th time... will the ad com look down on me with retaking DAT for the 4th time? Or should I enroll in SMP and try my best for 3.8 GPA (but it's not guarantee acceptance for some school)? Please give me some advice on what should I do. Thank you so much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like retaking the DAT is the only thing left to do if you already did a masters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you DAT scores getting increasingly better? If so, I don't think taking it for the 4th time would look bad, as long as it is higher than 19.

But will it look bad for the 4th time?
Find out why you're scoring the scores you're scoring if you're not making major improvements between DAT's 1-3

Reactions: 1 users
So you will have 2 masters degrees? A normal masters and an SMP masters?

But will it look bad for the 4th time?
Not if you get a 21+. That will prove to the adcoms that your masters GPA is legit.

Last edited:
Is your first master also a SMP? And you got no interview at all for this cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you will have 2 masters degrees? A normal masters and an SMP masters?
If I get accepted and completed the SMP then ill have 2 masters. But I think it will look better on application if it shows that I enroll in SMP. It's just my thinking though, im not sure about that.

If I get accepted and completed the SMP then ill have 2 masters. But I think it will look better on application if it shows that I enroll in SMP. It's just my thinking though, im not sure about that.
Two is not alway better than one.

Did you apply after you finished your masters or during you were in your masters? And what masters is it? Course based or thesis based?

Then what should I do? Retake DAT?

Retaking the DAT is the cheapest and one of the most effective options. You don’t want to add thousands of dollars of unnecessary debt on top of what you already might owe. A 19AA isn’t very impressive especially if it took 3 tries to get there, but the AADCOMs might see it differently. If I were in your shoes, I’d personally aim for a 22+. Study for it like your life depends on it.

Make sure other aspects of your application are stellar as well such as your ECs and that you get your personal statement looked over by at least 2-3 people who are familiar with the dental field.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you apply after you finished your masters or during you were in your masters? And what masters is it? Course based or thesis based?
I applied after I finished my master and it's a one year course based master. So comparing to the SMP, that master is just mainly to boost up my GPA, while SMP (master of science in biomedical science) seems like a legit program for professional schools. I applied to SMP since I already applied for this cycle so I just had my application transfer over, but I got 19 for TS & AA so I don't know if I should retake DAT or just enroll in SMP if I get accepted...

Seems like the most efficient use of your time would be a DAT retake. Just don’t take the test till you’re confident you’ll do well.

Get your DAT a little bit higher, and you're golden - 20's across, or if not an even spread, a monster TS score. Focus all your energy for 3 months to get that score breakdown and you'll get in.