• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Please help me choose IC job

Booter008

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Erie
  1. Medical Student
    I’ve narrowed my search down to 2 hospitals I have offers from and need help choosing.

hospital 1: located in large city in the south (family and I already based in the south).
    pros: $$$ - about 60-90k more per year. Good group of partners who all work well together. Good relations with admin. Potential to be very busy early on.
    cons: call - at least 15 days/ month. Sometimes covering multiple hospitals within the system but majority of time covering 2 Places close together

hospital 2: located in town of 30k in Midwest.
    Pros: amazing group of partners with the ever so important “mentor ship” presence for first year out. Good relations with admin. Amazing call schedule with potential to get a full 7 hrs of sleep nightly majority of the month. 1 large hospital only. Also potential to be busy early on.
    cons: salary less by amount mentioned above. Silly quality bonus that shouldn’t be hard to meet....but still, something to consider.

I’m thankful for both opportunities, just want to get the opinion from guys who have more experience. Thank you!

nlax30

10+ Year Member
    Oct 5, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      Will have to figure out what your priorities are.

Personally, that pay difference is not significant enough to have it play a large role If I was making that decision. You won’t miss it if it means you have a better quality of life in regards to schedule or family life.

IF all else was equal between the two jobs then sure, a relatively small difference in pay could be a tie breaker, but here I would certainly be willing to give up 60-90k a year in exchange for NOT being on Q2 call and having great partners.

timpview

10+ Year Member
      Jan 14, 2010
        You won’t last 3 years at job one. If you’re making 7 figures than do it and get ahead. If your not making at least 800k with that gig than a hard hard pass

it’s all about the call. High call will take not only years but potentially decades of your life.

My average day in private practice is busier than the busiest day I ever had as a fellow

most have no clue how busy some jobs will be. Signing yourself up for a call schedule like that is a death sentence

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.