Please help me cut schools off my list- I've already looked at MSAR, I swear!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camillekc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there are a million threads that go like this, and you're all sick of answering them, but please help! I've read the MSAR (kind of, an old copy because amazon lost my order in the mail), but I need to pare my list down by half.

I'm Canadian (already know which canadian schools I'm applying to) at Barnard College (affiliated with Columbia):

GPA: 3.52 (although it would be 3.64 without a summer school F that I think is being addressed in my committee letter)
BCPM: 3.44 (would be higher for same reason as GPA)
MCAT: 11 BS, 11 PS, 14 VR, total 36 O
good LORs
ECs: a little research, hospital volunteering (rape crisis advocating), a couple months international voluteering, worked in a doctors office, peer counselling, TA

My list (so far):
Baylor
U Penn
Columbia
Brown
Northwestern
Dartmouth
UNC
University of Virginia
George Washington
USC Keck
UCLA
Chicago
Tulane
Boston
NY Med
Albert Einstein
Casewestern
Penn State
Vermont

Sorry to do this- I'm leaving the country soon and need to get this over with. Thanks so much for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Camillekc said:
Hi, I know there are a million threads that go like this, and you're all sick of answering them, but please help! I've read the MSAR (kind of, an old copy because amazon lost my order in the mail), but I need to pare my list down by half.

I'm Canadian (already know which canadian schools I'm applying to) at Barnard College (affiliated with Columbia):

GPA: 3.52 (although it would be 3.64 without a summer school F that I think is being addressed in my committee letter)
BCPM: 3.44 (would be higher for same reason as GPA)
MCAT: 11 BS, 11 PS, 14 VR, total 36 O
good LORs
ECs: a little research, hospital volunteering (rape crisis advocating), a couple months international voluteering, worked in a doctors office, peer counselling, TA

My list (so far):
Baylor
U Penn
Columbia
Brown
Northwestern
Dartmouth
UNC
University of Virginia
George Washington
USC Keck
UCLA
Chicago
Tulane
Boston
NY Med
Albert Einstein
Casewestern
Penn State
Vermont

Sorry to do this- I'm leaving the country soon and need to get this over with. Thanks so much for any help!

baylor and ucla are almost impossible to get in from outer state.

Kick out UNC. Once again, almost impossible as an out of stater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brown is very selective due to the fact it has very few seats available for students who are not in that special undergrad program at Brown.

riceman04 said:
Brown is very selective due to the fact it has very few seats available for students who are not in that special undergrad program at Brown.
I know; the reason I didn't immediately cross it off my list was because a (canadian) friend of mine just got in with similar stats.

Thanks though.

Camillekc said:
Hi, I know there are a million threads that go like this, and you're all sick of answering them, but please help!

My list (so far):

Vermont

Vermont seems to really value proven commitment to meaningful community service. It appears that many people with 'cookie-cutter' EC's but an otherwise acceptable application are not given consideration. I don't know what your experience is, but it might be something to think about.

passthesashimi said:
baylor and ucla are almost impossible to get in from outer state.

Actually, I think UCLA doesn't have a preference for in-state residents. (the only UC that doesn't) Has this changed?

NorCalGirl said:
Actually, I think UCLA doesn't have a preference for in-state residents. (the only UC that doesn't) Has this changed?
I don't think this is true. I thought that UCSF had the most out of state and that is only around 20%.

baylor is 78% in state. that's not that bad. just a thought

Based on your list and what other people are saying about in state schools, I would actually add rather than subtract from your list. Look at Pitt and Rochester, neither of which have state preferences. Actually, you may have already investigated their policies about Canadians. If you have and rejected them for that reason, ignore me.

NorCalGirl said:

Hey, you in the know.

From the UCLA SOM website:
Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

I went to UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson.

They take usually 1-2 canadians per year