Please help me decide between SCCO and SUNY...

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by meghoo22, Dec 28, 2008.

1. meghoo22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi everyone!

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season and looking forward to the new year. I was hoping some of you could help me make a decision on which school to attend. It would really help if you are or were at some point also facing the same sort of decision involving these schools. I'm basically torn between deciding which is a better school (career wise) to attend. Both schools have a great reputation for their programs, and if all else were equal, I would lean towards SCCO because my family lives close by.

However, I would save around 25K if I went to SUNY. Also, I've been hearing rumors that SCCO is on the downward slope. I know that the president resigned last year, along with some reputable instructors, and some additional professors are expected to leave at the end of this school year. Is this true? and if it is, wow, this is really concerning!!! Has anybody else heard about this, and if so, what do you think of the situation? Also, somebody on SDN posted that the first time board passing rates at SCCO have been declining in the past few years. I believe it's at 74% for last years class. I dont' know...I'm really in a tough situation. Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

I"m expected to make a decision before January 5th. Please help!!!

2. minipenguin

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    SUNY has a 97% passing rate! :)
    state tuition, plus newwww york city!

3. qwopty99

qwopty99 Optometrist
    7+ Year Member

If you don't mind, why would SUNY be 25K cheaper for you? Does it have cheaper tuition?

4. meghoo22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Yes, SUNY would be cheaper becuase after my first year there, I would be considered a NY state resident and pay in-state tuition of about 15K. Tuition at SCCO is about 27K each year. Factoring in living expeses in manhattan, I would still come out with about 20-25K less loans than if I attended SCCO and lived in fullerton.

5. erikiksaz

Optometry Student
    You might want to double check the quotes that you received for housing in Manhattan. Unless there's subsidized housing from the university, I don't see how you would manage to save 20-25k over SCCO (over four years).

SCCO for 4 years @ 27k = 108k
    SUNY for 4 years @ 15k = 60k

That leaves 48k for housing in Manhattan for 4 years, which breaks down to 12k per year, 1k per month. 1k per month on rent doesn't amount to much in Manhattan, unless you plan on sharing a closet :p

6. achirum

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Tuition at SUNY has increased. Its now I believe something like 35 or 37 for the first year out of state residents and something like 17 for the last 3 years of in state.

7. EyeDocx2

Medical Student

It's all about geography. Where do you want to live? Your loans will be large no matter what, and you'll be able to pay them off. Either place will well train you. I graduated from SUNY and had a great education, I'm sure the same goes for SCCO. Where do you see yourself living/working?

8. JeffChou

JeffChou Your mom goes to college
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Optometry school tuition would increase $1,930 for New Yorkers to $15,550 and increase $5,570 for nonresidents to $31,720 a year.
    [http://www.1010wins.com/pages/3358589.php?]

So 1 year of out-of-state and 3 years of in-state tuition would total up to $78,370 while SCCO tops out at $105,780 (@ $26,445). That's $27,410 MORE that you can spend in NYC to offset the cost of living. Per year, that is $6852.50 or roughly $571.04 dollars a month. If you spend roughly no more than than $571.03 on top of what you would spend in Southern California, then it's cheaper to go to NYC.

9. eyeluvchocolate

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi EyeDocx2,

I was wondering are you pursuing medicine now after optometry? Your status indicate that you're a medical student now. I'm asking this because I'm at a point where I'm not sure if I should choose optometry over ophthalmology. Both are great professions, and they both have pros and cons comparatively.

I'm digging up old threads. Hopefully you'll see this and reply... How's med school going for you?

10. alferec

alferec Future Army OD
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    You should be careful about who you get your information from. SCCO is definitely not on a downward slope. The class of 2010 (my class) has scored quite well on NBEO Parts I and II: 92.5% and 98.9%, respectively. The last class did not do as well, true, but the exam format has changed for our class and the emphasis is much more clinically relevant. The improvement is most likely due to (1) our very strong clinical education here, and (2) the fact that both parts are tested later in our curriculum which is only favorable because we would have seen a greater number of patients by the time we take the test, relative to the previous classes.

True, some professors have left the school but people always come and go no matter what school you go to. And the last president didn't "resign" (that has a pretty negative connotation), he actually retired since he was president for a very long time, on top of his accomplished career as an MD/OD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #10 alferec, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  11. Commando303

7+ Year Member

$1,000/month can get you a fine place in Queens; just search diligently. Even in Manhattan, you and a person or two can get a very nice place if each pays that rate.

12. achirum

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Fixed :p