Please help me decide which GRE scores to send

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to several Clinical Psych PhD programs. The two times I have taken the test:

1) 162V, 151Q, 4.0AWA

2) 161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA

The AWA percentile difference makes it seem like a much greater difference than just .5 (57th% vs 81st%)

Thank You!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly consider sending both? I'm not presently involved in selection of graduate students, so I'll let folks who are (or who've participated more recently) give you better feedback, especially RE: how much weight is given to AWA scores. My gut reaction is that the verbal and quant scores are given more stock than AWA, so I'd send #1. But that's a shot in the dark.

What's the percentile difference between the 161V vs. 162V?

Possibly consider sending both? I'm not presently involved in selection of graduate students, so I'll let folks who are (or who've participated more recently) give you better feedback, especially RE: how much weight is given to AWA scores. My gut reaction is that the verbal and quant scores are given more stock than AWA, so I'd send #1. But that's a shot in the dark.

What's the percentile difference between the 161V vs. 162V?
88 vs 90

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of wondering why this is a choice given that quant and verbal seem the same, with AW higher? So why even consider sending the first if the AW score is lower and nothing else is different?

I'm kind of wondering why this is a choice given that quant and verbal seem the same, with AW higher? So why even consider sending the first if the AW score is lower and nothing else is different?
well the 1 point difference is something I am considering as a deciding factor since my quant is so low, and verbal is so important for these programs. I don't want to pick the one with the higher AWA if the 1 point extra on the verbal means more to potential program PIs

I have participated in selection for my primary advisor's lab several times over the last several years. I would maybe lean slightly toward #2 due to the %ile difference between the AWA scores.

In my experience, GRE scores are used more as a rule out/red flag identifier. Reporting #2 might reduce the probability that you would be ruled out somewhere that has an AWA cut off (moving from 57th to 81st), whereas reporting #1 and moving from 88th to 90th isn't likely to do that for you.

On the whole, this decision is not very likely to do much (probably nothing) to strengthen or weaken your candidacy. Hopefully that puts your mind at ease!

Reactions: 1 user
I have participated in selection for my primary advisor's lab several times over the last several years. I would maybe lean slightly toward #2 due to the %ile difference between the AWA scores.

In my experience, GRE scores are used more as a rule out/red flag identifier. Reporting #2 might reduce the probability that you would be ruled out somewhere that has an AWA cut off (moving from 57th to 81st), whereas reporting #1 and moving from 88th to 90th isn't likely to do that for you.

On the whole, this decision is not very likely to do much (probably nothing) to strengthen or weaken your candidacy. Hopefully that puts your mind at ease!
Thank you! It stinks because I definitely want to send my higher verbal, but it may make for a better whole with the second one.

I am currently applying to several Clinical Psych PhD programs. The two times I have taken the test:

1) 162V, 151Q, 4.0AWA

2) 161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA

The AWA percentile difference makes it seem like a much greater difference than just .5 (57th% vs 81st%)

Thank You!!!
Send the second one.

Absolutely the second one. Its a microscopic difference in verbal that is likely within the margin for error on the test vs a potentially substantive one in AWA.

verbal is so important for these programs.

Also, for what its worth (and not to discourage you)...most programs I am familiar with consider quant to be vastly more important than verbal.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely the second one. Its a microscopic difference in verbal that is likely within the margin for error on the test vs a potentially substantive one in AWA.

Also, for what its worth (and not to discourage you)...most programs I am familiar with consider quant to be vastly more important than verbal.
no worries, I know its an uphill battle. I'll be applying next year, just trying it this time

1) 162V, 151Q, 4.0AWA

2) 161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA

Thank You!!!
If it helps, I had very similar scores overall (310) and had interviews/offers to several programs! I think once you hit an initial cut-off it doesn't matter. I don't know how important the writing test is though!

If it helps, I had very similar scores overall (310) and had interviews/offers to several programs! I think once you hit an initial cut-off it doesn't matter. I don't know how important the writing test is though!
oh cool, thanks! That's certainly encouraging. I am still trying to remain realistic, but I just applied this past weekend and now am already checking my email all the time, as if I have a chance haha