Please help me decide which schools to withdrwal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy as I was accepted at SUNY Upstate. It is my state school and I enjoyed my visit quite a lot.

I've been on quite a few interviews at top 20 schools, but still have the following others scheduled:
Jefferson
Loyola Chicago
U. Vermont

Is there any reason for me to interview at any them? I noticed that only Jefferson is ranked, but would I have better residency options if I go there?

More generally, compared to an unranked state school, is there any sense in going to a low ranked school (i..e Jefferson?) How about a mid tier school such as Boston University or Tufts?

I really hate to offend any people still waiting and am very very grateful for my acceptance, but want to make sure I know all the facts before I withdraw applications.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm extremely happy as I was accepted at SUNY Upstate. It is my state school and I enjoyed my visit quite a lot.

I've been on quite a few interviews at top 20 schools, but still have the following others scheduled:
Jefferson
Loyola Chicago
U. Vermont

Is there any reason for me to interview at any them? I noticed that only Jefferson is ranked, but would I have better residency options if I go there?

More generally, compared to an unranked state school, is there any sense in going to a low ranked school (i..e Jefferson?) How about a mid tier school such as Boston University or Tufts?

I really hate to offend any people still waiting and am very very grateful for my acceptance, but want to make sure I know all the facts before I withdraw applications.

Thank you very much!

Not unless you got better Step scores, research or grades there.

If you want to go to SUNY Upstate, withdraw from every other school and cancel your interviews. Cheaper and less stress, seems ideal to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First, congrats on the acceptance!

I can't speak to the others but Jefferson is a very very very friendly place to go to medical school. It may not have the rankings but I have several family friends that went there and they all rave about how much of a family like environment it was. It may be worth the travel money just to decide if its a better fit than Upstate. There is definitely more to picking a school than rankings. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Jefferson
Loyola Chicago
U. Vermont

Thank you very much!

Withdraw from UVM and tell them to give me your interview. ;)

Check my MDapps and see if we are applying to any of the same schools, then promptly withdraw from those schools. Thanks!

Ok, I'm just kidding. To reiterate what at least one other poster said, the "fit" of a school is very important, so it might be worth it to go on the other interviews if you think they might be a good fit. Then again, if you are like me and running out of money, maybe just stick with the schools you have already interviewed at. I personally wouldn't put any stock in rankings, but that's just me.

you should interview at Loyola, very special special place. Look at the interview feedback. I was there a month ago, its so underrated. Awesome curriculum, insane faiclities, so friendly and community based. I really urge you to go.

Unless of course the location is too far, or remote, etc.

I'm no expert, but if you really like SUNY and there's nothing that particularly excites you about those schools you mentioned, then I don't see the point of going to those interviews. I get the sense a lot of people here over-apply and get into a handful of top 10/20 schools while interviewing at a dozen unranked or mid-tier schools. Why waste the time or money? Fit is one thing, but again, you say you like SUNY, so clearly that's a strong enough fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.