please help me evaluate my chance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
you all may be tired of this kind of questions.
I am getting so stressed out about choosing the specialty for the residency. I get to make my decision very soon. Here is my thing:
Third year medical student, Step 1 230, class rank 35%, Master degree, many years research in medical field. 10 2nd or third authored publications, around 10 1st, 2nd and 3rd authored presentations. several research awards and academic award. What is my chance to get into this competitive field? Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me be the first to tell you that you are off to a bad start: crossposting in radiology, radiation oncology, and then ophthalmology informs us that

1) you don't understand SDN forum rules

and

2) you have no idea what you really want. Those 3 fields share little to virtually nothing in common. Your resume is fantastic but PDs are looking for applicants who are truly dedicated. Or can at least fake it in a 10 minute interview.

I am a new member. I didn't do it on purpose.
Again, I posted this in other forum. I repeated it here again.
"As the time for making this big decision approaches, I am kind of losing my mind. I did ask the same question on three different groups. I have zero experience in these fields. I won't have much chance to experience all these at all as I won't start these clerkship in my school till September. That is why I am bugging different groups with the same question. Definitely, thank you for your reply and being patience. "
Thank you for your frank words. I need to do more research and learn more from my peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting so stressed out about choosing the specialty for the residency. I get to make my decision very soon. Here is my thing:
Third year medical student, Step 1 230, class rank 35%, Master degree, many years research in medical field. 10 2nd or third authored publications, around 10 1st, 2nd and 3rd authored presentations. several research awards and academic award. What is my chance to get into this competitive field? Thanks!!!!

step 1 is the most important criterion for matching radiology. the 2007 step 1 average for successful radiology applicants was 235. based on that, you will match somewhere for rads, but probably not at a top program and not in a highly desirable location (cali, nyc). the research is good, so apply widely to university programs. community programs tend not to care about research. try to get solid letters of rec in clerkships. a 230 warrants taking the step 2 early. you will have to break 240. overall, matching somewhere looks good. just don't be picky.

step 1 is the most important criterion for matching radiology. the 2007 step 1 average for successful radiology applicants was 235. based on that, you will match somewhere for rads, but probably not at a top program and not in a highly desirable location (cali, nyc). the research is good, so apply widely to university programs. community programs tend not to care about research. try to get solid letters of rec in clerkships. a 230 warrants taking the step 2 early. you will have to break 240. overall, matching somewhere looks good. just don't be picky.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Step 1 is what gets your foot in the door, but it's the rest of your application that gets you an interview. And while some of the top programs do have step 1 cutoffs, a well-placed phone call by a mentor can help circumvent that. His research experience alone sets him apart from the vast majority of radiology applicants and makes him an attractive candidate for even the top schools, assuming clinical grades are good as well.

OP, you have an excellent chance of matching into radiology. As for your chances at specific programs, I would speak to an advisor at your school.

Apply early and broadly and your chances are excellent that you'll get in somewhere, maybe even a prestigious program.

You know your scores are fine...the key, don't/stop act/ing like a tool. That is the key friend. Be normal and enjoy your interviews.

I have interviewed many a strong applicant, the second I sniff an Axis I dx, you're out. Oh yeah, don't act like a tool.

Wait...you're kinda being a tool...hmmm...do I want to give you good advice...you'll be in my field then hmmmm...

hmm, I dunno...I think Axis II wins the battle of disorders I'd least like in a fellow resident.

Agreed. If an Axis 1 is bad enough, they wouldn't have made it this far. But there are a HELL of a lot of successful Borderline, Histrionics, OCPD, and Narcissistics out there.

You think you're stressed out?

I'm a 4th year student that needs to submit my rank list in two weeks and I STILL haven't decided which specialty I want the most.

Actually, I'm not stressed as much as I simply don't care any more. :oops: