PLEASE help me...HOW DO SMP PROGRAMS WORK, where do I start :( :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WWU_Viking

I've posted this in the pre MD forum but since I was confused myself I did not get to many responses.

I just graduated from a community college with a somewhat bad GPA of.....2.9 :thumbdown: . My study habits sucked and I partied a bit too much. I thought because I worked in a pharmacy 1-3 days a week I had it all going. Boy was I wrong. I going to a university for another three full years (I changed my major to biology/anthrpology BS. During summers I will take additional (possibly excess credits, could pick up an interesting minor) or some undergraduate research. I will not work there either, and have set up some very interesting volunteer things and shadowing. I am determined to get very good grades (nothing but 3.8+) every quarter.

I have decided not to apply until my last udegraduate year, so there will be ***11*** quarters of super grades on my transcript. If I apply my last undergraduate year (in my case, my third year there) there will be a year long gap between college and med school (if I get in the first time). During this year of waiting I would like to do a one year SMP program just in case I do not get in the first time around.

My main question: IF I WANT TO START THE SMP PROGRAM RIGHT AFTER UNDERGRAD, WHEN DO I BEGIN APPLYING TO THE SMP PROGRAMS????

Anyone have a long list of SMP programs????

Members don't see this ad.

WWU_Viking said:
My main question: IF I WANT TO START THE SMP PROGRAM RIGHT AFTER UNDERGRAD, WHEN DO I BEGIN APPLYING TO THE SMP PROGRAMS????

Anyone have a long list of SMP programs????

1. Settle down. As I understood your post, you still have 3 years of classwork to go. One thing at a time.

2. You apply to SMP's between January and June of the same year you will be starting in the fall (so for Fall of 2006, you would have applied sometime in the past six months). As always, apply early (March or earlier) to maximize your chances.

3. There aren't that many "SMP's". There are many post-baccs programs (designed for people who haven't taken the required undergrad classes for medical school), but there's only a few that give a Masters degree and are specifically designed to help you get into med school. The main ones are: Georgetown, Boston University, EVMS, Drexel and Loyola. BU and Loyola's programs usually take 2 years. Georgetown is 1 (it's 11 months of ouch time), and Drexel is 2 if you want the degree. I believe EVMS is also 1 year. Rosalind Franklin used to offer a good program in 1 year, but they took away the 3.0 and you're in guarantee so now it isn't really worth anything because it really only helped student to get into RFU. I may have missed one or two, but I think that's about it.

tacrum43 said:
1. Settle down. As I understood your post, you still have 3 years of classwork to go. One thing at a time.

2. You apply to SMP's between January and June of the same year you will be starting in the fall (so for Fall of 2006, you would have applied sometime in the past six months). As always, apply early (March or earlier) to maximize your chances.

3. There aren't that many "SMP's". There are many post-baccs programs (designed for people who haven't taken the required undergrad classes for medical school), but there's only a few that give a Masters degree and are specifically designed to help you get into med school. The main ones are: Georgetown, Boston University, EVMS, Drexel and Loyola. BU and Loyola's programs usually take 2 years. Georgetown is 1 (it's 11 months of ouch time), and Drexel is 2 if you want the degree. I believe EVMS is also 1 year. Rosalind Franklin used to offer a good program in 1 year, but they took away the 3.0 and you're in guarantee so now it isn't really worth anything because it really only helped student to get into RFU. I may have missed one or two, but I think that's about it.
dont forget university of cincinnati's, theyre the same as georgetowns (1 year also). they have an equally as competitive of a prgoram as well. :)