GonnaBeAnMD said:
I have been dating someone for about 1 year now. I am going to be MS1 in Fall and am having second thoughts about this girl 🙁 She is not really into school, cannot talk about much more than MTV and the Music Awards. We also come from very different families (socio-economic status of our respective family, depth of religion beliefs and just how we present ourselves to others in general). Although I love her, I am thinking this might really bother me down the line (and even when medical school starts). For example, (this is not the most important, but worth mentioning) once a physician, I expect to be at dinners with other professionals and I think that I would like an intelligent partner. She has recently agreed to get serious about school and pursue a journalism degree because I expressed my concern to her... but still, it's either little studying, or MTV. I just don't know if this (and other differences) should not be a concern to me. Maybe I'm being too picky or something but I'm too involved to think clearly and need your input.
I thank you for your help
You know, I kind of understand where you're coming from. I was dating this wonderful guy that I just flat out couldn't talk to... the only things he was interested in were weight lifting and parties. An all around good guy though and I loved him, but it just wasn't enough. Sometimes, you just have to click on more than just one or two levels... you have to fit like puzzles pieces.
From what you're saying, it sounds like you feel that she just isn't listening to you at the level that you need... apparently, you just don't feel that she's understanding you in a way that YOU need.
So here's a few things that you might want to consider:
1. Does she admire you for who you are... no changes needed? And this includes your medical carreer.
2. Do you think (or does she think) she can handle the stress and frustrations of being a doctor's wife?
3. Does she support you in everything that you do?
4. Can you support her in her ideals and love her for who she is?
5. Do you feel a constant urge to protect and care for her?
6. Do you feel listened to and understood by her?
7. Do you feel that you can share anything and everything with her (I mean emotionally or mentally)?
8. Can you count on her to be there for you during your toughest times?
9. Do you feel judged by her? Does she feel judged/looked down upon by you?
10. Is she confident in herself as a seperate entity than you?
11. When you have a problem that needs to vented/expressed/ is she the first person that you seek out?
Then again, this is just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.
😀 😛