Please help me out! I'm debating whether I want to keep going or not!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short,

I'm still waiting for more schools to respond but so far I've been waitlisted by three schools. I applied to 17 schools and got seven rejected this time compared to the first time I applied. This is my 2nd time applying and I haven't got a call for an offer a seat. The anxiety and the waiting game is killing me slowly. It's been a constant battle of many heartbreaks, self-doubt, and fear of failing in life. Plus I dealt with a lot of ups and downs from getting interviews and receiving rejections too. This whole cycle has been taking huge toll on me emotionally and mentally. Sometimes I feel embarrassed and upset every time I receive a rejection letter that I'm not good enough nor smart nor capable of being a PT. I know I shouldn't be thinking negatively, but I feel like everything is falling apart at this point.

I've done a lot to improve my application such as retaking classes, retook the GRE (3x times) and planning on retaking it again in few months, observing in many different settings, and getting a job as a PT tech. I've always wanted to become a PT since my junior year of college and now that I'm three years out of college I feel like schools are not giving me a chance to see my worth. I'm not sure if I want to keep going to apply for the third time or should I change my career path to PTA or exercise physiologist.

Any advice for me what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of people are going to tell you “If PT is really what you want to do and your passion, keep applying and don’t give up!!” But there comes a time when you have to give up the fight and only you will know when that time is. I don’t think continuing to sacrifice your mental health is worth it though in my opinion. It sounds as though the application process is destroying you and if you apply a third time and get the same results where will that leave you?

Being a PT is still my passion hands down, but I’m debating on whether to improve my application first and apply next year or apply this upcoming cycle. I know schools will call people on the waitlist even few weeks before the program starts, but I guess the waiting game is harder than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short,

I'm still waiting for more schools to respond but so far I've been waitlisted by three schools. I applied to 17 schools and got seven rejected this time compared to the first time I applied. This is my 2nd time applying and I haven't got a call for an offer a seat. The anxiety and the waiting game is killing me slowly. It's been a constant battle of many heartbreaks, self-doubt, and fear of failing in life. Plus I dealt with a lot of ups and downs from getting interviews and receiving rejections too. This whole cycle has been taking huge toll on me emotionally and mentally. Sometimes I feel embarrassed and upset every time I receive a rejection letter that I'm not good enough nor smart nor capable of being a PT. I know I shouldn't be thinking negatively, but I feel like everything is falling apart at this point.

I've done a lot to improve my application such as retaking classes, retook the GRE (3x times) and planning on retaking it again in few months, observing in many different settings, and getting a job as a PT tech. I've always wanted to become a PT since my junior year of college and now that I'm three years out of college I feel like schools are not giving me a chance to see my worth. I'm not sure if I want to keep going to apply for the third time or should I change my career path to PTA or exercise physiologist.

What are your stats currently if you don’t mind me asking?

Being a PT is still my passion hands down, but I’m debating on whether to improve my application first and apply next year or apply this upcoming cycle. I know schools will call people on the waitlist even few weeks before the program starts, but I guess the waiting game is harder than I thought it would be.
Have you asked the schools your waitlist positions? I know alot of schools dont give a wait list # but at least where you stand on the list? Dont give up hope it's still early!

Reactions: 1 user
PTA can be a great option! Depends on what draws you to PT- if you like the really nitty gritty science, then PT would be better. But if it is the interaction with patients and the pure getting folks better, PTA can definitely offer that (and in some ways moreso since you don't have to do evals and all the time those can drain!). Financially, much less debt and a decent salary. Remember to factor in the costs of applying which could include retaking GRE or courses, and a lost year of (better) wages when deciding if you should apply again or go for plan B. PTAs are a vital part of the health care system, and can and do participate in the APTA and teaching if those things are of interest down the road. I don't think that route is discussed enough on these forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you asked the schools your waitlist positions? I know alot of schools dont give a wait list # but at least where you stand on the list? Dont give up hope it's still early!

yes I have. One school doesn’t give me position nor number, the other school says I’m in the middle third but I heard their class is already full, and another school says I’m in the middle. I shouldn’t be giving up hope, but I feel like the world doesn’t want me to be a PT and it’s breaking me a lot.

PTA can be a great option! Depends on what draws you to PT- if you like the really nitty gritty science, then PT would be better. But if it is the interaction with patients and the pure getting folks better, PTA can definitely offer that (and in some ways moreso since you don't have to do evals and all the time those can drain!). Financially, much less debt and a decent salary. Remember to factor in the costs of applying which could include retaking GRE or courses, and a lost year of (better) wages when deciding if you should apply again or go for plan B. PTAs are a vital part of the health care system, and can and do participate in the APTA and teaching if those things are of interest down the road. I don't think that route is discussed enough on these forums.

I agree that PTA should be discussed more too. I worked with many PTAs and I appreciate them so much. I’m debating on whether I should do PTA for financial reasons. I heard many convos about this topic and need some insight about it.

yes I have. One school doesn’t give me position nor number, the other school says I’m in the middle third but I heard their class is already full, and another school says I’m in the middle. I shouldn’t be giving up hope, but I feel like the world doesn’t want me to be a PT and it’s breaking me a lot.
I agree that nothing is worth your mental health! You need to decide what is best for you in the long run . If you have it in you to try 1 more time I say go for it so you have no regrets and know you did everything you could because 20 years from now it won't matter when you started school it will be weather you are happy where you are in life..ultimately it depends on your health if PTA will make you happy go for it! Definitely don't look at it as a lesser option

Well first of all, you're still waiting on some schools and have been waitlisted to three - so you shouldn't lose hope. I think there's still a chance that you get in.

But okay, lets say worst case scenario, you don't get into a school - what's next? PTA/Ex Phys are great career options that you should definetely consider. But if being a PT is your ultimate goal and passion, you should not give up on that. You already have extensive prereq work, and you mentioned taking your GRE again. Depending on your major, you can try to find a job as Ex Phys while still applying for PT school sometime in the future. The experience as a Ex Phys would only strengthen your application. If you work as a PTA/Ex Phys and is satisfied with your career that you dont want to pursue PT anymore, then thats great. You can't really lose in this situation.

And last thing, you shouldn't be embarrassed. Its normal to question your capacity or abilities when confronted with adversity but thats okay. Not every PT got in the first try. Not every PT got in the second try. Not every PT got in the third try. I've met PT students and brilliant PTs who faced similar challenges like you, they too questioned if this was right for them, if they were cut out to be a PT. 3-5 years from now, when you do become a PT, no one is going to ask you how many times it took for you to become a PT. 10-15 years from now, when you're one of the best PTs at your clinic/hospital, no one is going to be laughing that you didnt get into PT school the first two times.

I guess what I want to say is - everything is not falling apart. If you dont get in, its normal to sulk and feel down but then use it as motivation. Go into PTA/Ex Phys if necessary - that's okay because the opportunity to become a PT is always going to be there, as long as you want to chase it.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't lose hope! You have been waitlisted by three schools so you still have options. Your ultimate goal is to be a Physical Therapist so chase it! You have to do this for you and only you. So, if you truly want this career path then be patient and let it work out. You have put yourself in a good place and you shouldn't let this deter you from this. It's a stressful time for everybody and if you can keep a positive mindset then you will all good. Just continue to better yourself and application for the next cycle during this time just in case you do not get into a program. You learn more from this experience than you do from anything else. Just persevere and stay the course the universe has for you and you will become the best Physical Therapist you can become.

If you've been WL'ed by 3 schools, that means 3 schools think you'd make a great PT. They just don't have space for you yet. Schools don't put people on their WL that they don't think would make good students and graduates. Just because they don't have space doesn't mean they don't want you there.

See how you can change your view to help change your feelings? If you believe what I just said (which you totally should because it's true!), it probably feels pretty good to think about. You don't have to think about it as you not being qualified because it's obviously not true. PT schools are hard to get into, and 3 of them want you there.

But please don't become convinced that PT is somehow superior to PTA. I know some really cool PTAs who get to do everything the PTs do except they don't have to do tedious evals. They are every bit as competent and amazing, and no one thinks less of them for being a PTA. If I weren't so set on the science of it, I'd be tempted to do PTA myself. Either one is great.

If you want to send me your stats I can probably be more helpful, but that's what I know.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short,

[/

At about this time last year (second attempt), I was in your shoes. I was on 4 waitlists and come early May I mentally accepted that I wasn’t going to get in anywhere and was going to have to reapply a third time if I wanted to be a PT. I had 1 prereq that was a B- and I retook it as a 6 week Summer course before the start of the cycle and got an A. Considering I actually didn’t get pulled off any of the waitlists I was on, I’m glad I made the decision to retake the class when I did. This third cycle got me 2 acceptances, 2 waitlists and 6 interview invites.

Bottom line, the cycle isn’t over until it’s over. However, if you know what weaknesses need to be addressed (retake class, gre, experience, etc), give yourself the time you need to turn your weaknesses into strengths. Keep yourself busy and be proactive while you’re in the waiting game. Unfortunately, the fact of reality is there isn’t anything you can do about the waitlists except wait. The process is mentally draining as it is, don’t make it harder on yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at one school and one of the students said it took him four cycle attempts to get in(he was a third year student I believe) so don't give up hope! Ultimately if your passion is to help people, PTA is also a good option!

By casting a wider net and applying to 15 plus schools, you increase your likelihood of finding an acceptance (while at the same time you increase your total number of rejections). I believe this is the wise approach for you, PROVIDED THAT you learn to brush off the rejections.

It seems like becoming a PT is similar to finding love. It won’t happen unless you’re willing to put yourself out there and risk being rejected. I get rejections hurt, which is why “fear of rejection” is such a powerful human motivator. I say put yourself out there, take the risk, feel good about making it onto some waitlists, and keep moving forward.

Each state also has ~10 superstars that will receive offers from EVERY DPT program to which they apply. Even superstars can only attend 1 program. As people “trade up,” spots will continue to open up for many weeks to come. Let the process play out and remain positive.

Reactions: 6 users
By casting a wider net and applying to 15 plus schools, you increase your likelihood of finding an acceptance (while at the same time you increase your total number of rejections). I believe this is the wise approach for you, PROVIDED THAT you learn to brush off the rejections.

It seems like becoming a PT is similar to finding love. It won’t happen unless you’re willing to put yourself out there and risk being rejected. I get rejections hurt, which is why “fear of rejection” is such a powerful human motivator. I say put yourself out there, take the risk, feel good about making it onto some waitlists, and keep moving forward.

Each state also has ~10 superstars that will receive offers from EVERY DPT program to which they apply. Even superstars can only attend 1 program. As people “trade up,” spots will continue to open up for many weeks to come. Let the process play out and remain positive.

I just got the email today that I'm waitlisted at University of Oklahoma Health Science Center (no interview). My stats are right on par with their last classes averages and I have over 2000 observation hours from college and working as an athletic trainer (I've been an ATC since 2017). Do you really think positions will continue to open up before the summer semester starts in June?? I'm hopeful I'm in the top of the waitlist but we were not given any information regarding that.

Hold on a little longer. You still have to get responses from 10 (!!!) schools which you will be receiving during the next 6 months.
If you do not get accepted this year again, analyze your stats and the requirements of a school you are applying to. If your stats match schools requirements, it is worth to apply. If your stats are below a school's requirements, do not apply there. If your stats are lower than every school's requirement, then consider PTA or exercise physio programs.
There is nothing embarrassing in getting rejected. It is a part of the process for MANY of us here (there are super smart people among applicants who have never experienced rejection, but many of us have been rejected, re-applied, and did become good PTs as well).
GRE: I could never score above mid 290s in it. Studied for it for 2 years, tried 3 times,and just could not go above the certain score. Did I feel ret-rded? - Yes! Am I really? - No! I worried about not being able to pass NPTE in future since it is also a standardized tests like GRE, but I passed NPTE just fine. So yes, I did give up on GRE, applied to schools that did not require it or did not require 300 score, and got accepted.
You have observed in many different settings, which is great, and you are done with it. You got your hours, so don't spend your time on it anymore.
You do not need to work as a PT tech (unless you want to). Your observation hours are enough.
Again, do wait to hear back from the 10 schools before saying that schools do not want you.

UPDATE!

I got two more rejections and one waitlisted this week!

Long story short,

I would say if this cycle does not go as planned I would definitely recommend looking into PTA school. It's a good way to still get into the physical therapy field and looks well on applications!

Nothing but another school waitlisted.

Nothing but another school waitlisted.
OK, so you have a chance there. They would not have waitlisted you if they did not think you are a decent candidate. There are still a few school to hear back from. You do need to give it time.

Long story short,

If you want me to help you out I can. I only applied once but I got rejected from 6/10 waitlisted at 3/10 and accepted at 1/10. The one I got accepted at was my Alma mater and was after CMU interviews that were held after the deposit date. I got a taste of what you’re going through, but I know my app had weaknesses, but it must have had some strong points. If you need any help or want a different set of eyes to look at your app I am more than willing to help you out

Update!

I hope everyone is okay and safe out there. I just got another rejection letter from St. Augustine which I couldn’t believe it. Hence everyone keeps telling that they accept low GPA students, but I guess not. I’m still waiting on 2 more schools and studying for the GRE to be more productive.

I’m not sure if I should wait another year to apply again to improve my application or go for it this summer?

Update!

I hope everyone is okay and safe out there. I just got another rejection letter from St. Augustine which I couldn’t believe it. Hence everyone keeps telling that they accept low GPA students, but I guess not. I’m still waiting on 2 more schools and studying for the GRE to be more productive.

I’m not sure if I should wait another year to apply again to improve my application or go for it this summer?
Have you heard any good news ?

Long story short,

Hi! I started taking the prerequisites seven years ago, but I was taking only one class per semester because my goal was to get substantial grades. Also, I moved from Greece and had to work two jobs for the most part. Trust me, I empathize with you, all your concerns and thoughts that are running through your mind. There were times that I was doubting whether I will ever make it. English is not my mother language and that made it even more difficult for me. It was such a long process prereqs, GRE work, volunteering. Plus, it was a gamble for me (and for everyone else applying to PT schools) what if I were to complete all of what I just mentioned and still get rejected? I just kept going, one step at a time. I applied last year knowing that I don't the odds are against me, GRE scores were below the min that most of the schools we're asking. My prerequisites we're not complete ( I had two in progress). Guess what happened—rejected by all the schools that I applied to. I got disappointed but I knew since the beginning that, that was going to be the outcome. Still, I saw this as an opportunity to improve my application, finish with the remaining prerequisites and dedicate my remaining time to better prepare myself to take the GRE (swear to God I hate this standardized test). I took it did better than last time but still all of the sections were below 150 and 4 for the essays. Took it a third time, finally I got 2 out of 3 above the threshold. I applied to 7 schools 4 called me for an interview. Outcome? I was placed on the waitlist for two rejected by one. I was kind of disappointed because my chances we're getting smaller and smaller. Finally, the last program that I applied to offered me a position. I can't describe the joy that filled me when I received the acceptance email. Keep going, dedication and hard work ALWAYS pay off. Doubting for yourself is a good thing because it enables you to see that you can do better! There is always hope! Don't give up! Since I made it you can make it too! If you need anything PM me :)

As a PTA working for over a year and a half, I will tell you there's no difference in PT and PTA other than the $$$(range from 20k-30k higher for PT), more paperwork signing off on PTA notes and evaluation of new patients. Other than that it's the same thing. It's all about you and how much your willing to learn.

If you don't get in this cycle, I'd recommend stop wasting your time limiting yourself and just go for a PTA program. Just think about it this way, every year you try applying for PT, your losing 60-65k/yr....after you finish your PTA program then if you truly want to be a PT then apply...atleast you will be a licensed PTA making money in the meantime.

Bytheway, I'm still attempting to get into PT school too and this is my 3rd cycle...I got rejected from 1 school and waitlisted from 1 school.

Goodluck, keep pushing...you can make a difference at a PT and a PTA aswell.

Have you considered PTA to DPT bridge programs? That may be another option. Also, PLNU has a 1 year program intended to help students be more competitive for DPT programs--you get 1000s of hours, clinical experience/internships, ATC certified if you want. I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated!

Finally responding to this post because I keep seeing it come up and I hope others read this. If you're applying to that many schools and that many programs are rejecting you or waitlisting you, then you need to consider that it is NOT your grades or GRE that is holding you back. Tough love post incoming.

Kind of out of the box here, but have you considered any of the following?

1) Am I appropriately answering the prompts of each personal statement?
2) Am I highlighting aspects of my "story" that set me apart from other students?
3) Am I trying to tell them that I have passion for PT without properly illustrating why?
4) Am I a bad interviewer? Can I hold eye contact? Do I have sweaty hands during a hand shake? Am I socially awkward? Do I pick up on body language?
5) How much am I growing by staying stagnant as a PT Tech/Aide? If I'm not growing, then how can I answer the inevitable question of "why should I admit you to my school if you didn't cut it the last three times?"
6) How many people reviewed my essay? Of those people, how many of them REALLY know how to write?

The biggest mistake I've seen from friends and peers trying to get into med school, PT school, or dentistry or ANYTHING, is that their essays all sound like this:

"I am passionate about PT!" or "PT is the most important thing to me!" or "Here is a sad story" or "PT is my calling."

Everyone is submitting essays exactly like that. If your grades are fantastic, you'll probably find a school to get in to. But if not, you really need to capitalize on other strengths. Seeing how many waitlists you've hit, I'd be curious if its a "me" thing instead of a "grades" thing.

Don't be the insane guy who is expecting different results by doing the same thing.

In your original post, you said " I feel like schools are not giving me a chance to see my worth" and I'm telling you that that's the worst attitude you can have in any setting and in any endeavor. It is YOUR responsibility to demonstrate your worth through your application package. It has nothing to do with the school. Look internally and take ownership of your results! Instead of "I feel like schools aren't giving me a chance" you need to be telling yourself that "damn, I didn't show the schools my worth" and then FIX IT!

------

PS. If I were you, I'd consider a career change or PTA school. The person who mentioned how you're wasting $60k+ a year is exactly right. Then reapply later.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi. If you don't mind me asking, what are your Stats? Some PT programs look at your numbers (GRE, GPA) first, and if they are below a certain point, these programs won't even look at your other items (Essay, References, etc). Some programs will look at your application holistically.

Does anybody here knows where can I get PTA board exam prep books? I prefer used. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Im trying to be PTA though i have PT degree in foreign country. Thank you much!