I can't tell if I'm a competitive candidate or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaseianmo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys as I'm not sure how competitive of an applicant I am. Here are my stats.

cGPA: 3.2 (held a 4.0 as a post-bacc at a separate college, getting my prerequisites finished) I did poorly in the first 2 years of my undergrad so this is the main thing that worries me
pGPA: 3.6
last 60 credits: 3.78

GRE: 160V (85th) 157Q (61st)

1000+ hours as a PT Aide in outpatient ortho, and 50 inpatient (these hours will be as of October applications)

I also have a year of experience working with developmentally disabled people, so I have a lot of training/experience working with people with physical handicaps.

Research Experience (RA) on Spinal Cord Injuries: 8 months by October
A coauthorship on a manuscript (but in the field of Psychology)

Volunteer experience: 300+ hours at food shelter

Letters of Rec: 1-PT, 2 from Professors that I do research under. The one Professor from the spinal cord lab is the director of a PT program I'm applying to.

I might get involved with a high school to help train student athletes.

How do I look as an applicant? Any advice for me or things to add, I have another 6 months before applications open up. I live in New York.
Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

All metrics need to be met, first and foremost. GJ. Secondly, you have a lot, on paper, going for you. GJ. Thirdly, pre-req gpa is far more important than everything else that constitutes an undergrad degree (whatever it is). Lastly, the in-person interview is important. All applicants, for the most part, are going to be qualified. As someone who served on admission's committees, I can tell you that how an applicant reacts to questions they are not pre-programmed to answer can make the difference between an offer letter and a wait-list.

Know why you want to do this. Know it in your bones. Be yourself. ...and smile.

Reactions: 1 users
All metrics need to be met, first and foremost. GJ. Secondly, you have a lot, on paper, going for you. GJ. Thirdly, pre-req gpa is far more important than everything else that constitutes an undergrad degree (whatever it is). Lastly, the in-person interview is important. All applicants, for the most part, are going to be qualified. As someone who served on admission's committees, I can tell you that how an applicant reacts to questions they are not pre-programmed to answer can make the difference between an offer letter and a wait-list.

Know why you want to do this. Know it in your bones. Be yourself. ...and smile.
Thank you for the input! I will keep what you said about the interview questions in mind.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys as I'm not sure how competitive of an applicant I am. Here are my stats.

cGPA: 3.2 (held a 4.0 as a post-bacc at a separate college, getting my prerequisites finished) I did poorly in the first 2 years of my undergrad so this is the main thing that worries me
pGPA: 3.6
last 60 credits: 3.78

GRE: 160V (85th) 157Q (61st)

1000+ hours as a PT Aide in outpatient ortho, and 50 inpatient (these hours will be as of October applications)

I also have a year of experience working with developmentally disabled people, so I have a lot of training/experience working with people with physical handicaps.

Research Experience (RA) on Spinal Cord Injuries: 8 months by October
A coauthorship on a manuscript (but in the field of Psychology)

Volunteer experience: 300+ hours at food shelter

Letters of Rec: 1-PT, 2 from Professors that I do research under. The one Professor from the spinal cord lab is the director of a PT program I'm applying to.

I might get involved with a high school to help train student athletes.

How do I look as an applicant? Any advice for me or things to add, I have another 6 months before applications open up. I live in New York.
Thank you for the help!
Looks pretty good. You already have plenty. Nothing to add.

Reactions: 1 users