Please help me with more information.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueswan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for pharmacy school this year. There are two options. One is University of Michigan; One is Wayne State University. However, if I apply for UM, I would be treated as non-resident and would cost me 40000$/year on average; WSU would be 20000$/year as it would treat me as a resident. I am not sure how the difference of the school will be? How it will affect me after my graduation. My GPA is 4.0 and my background is strong. But I am not a native-speaker. So, I don't know which way I should put effort on: they have different requirements. I am not familiar with the pharmacy area in US, so, please give me any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to know how much effects would be for the pharmacy career in terms of graduation from different school? Thanks. Your any suggestion are appreciated.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine paying twice as much for any school, unless there were other financial factors at play (like you could live with someone for free/cheaply at the school you're paying twice as much to attend, etc.). A school would have to offer something pretty special for me to spend an extra $80,000 on it, personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to imagine paying twice as much for any school, unless there were other financial factors at play (like you could live with someone for free/cheaply at the school you're paying twice as much to attend, etc.). A school would have to offer something pretty special for me to spend an extra $80,000 on it, personally.

That's what I am struggling about. I checked on line, UM is #5, WSU is #32. I am not sure about what's the difference really mean. Thanks.

That's what I am struggling about. I checked on line, UM is #5, WSU is #32. I am not sure about what's the difference really mean. Thanks.

At great risk of starting another discussion over whether pharmacy school rankings matter, I'm going to tell you that I don't think the difference between #5 and #32 matters. Others might have a different opinion, but that's my take. Even if someone could convince me that the education you'd receive at UM is clearly superior to what you'd get from WSU, I still don't think you're going to see any financial return on the extra $80,000 investment you would be making by attending UM.

Honestly, it depends more on the reputation of the school & it's alumni within the area you want to work in, not necessarily on the ranks.

Wayne might not be as well known as UM, but it's still a fine school. Ultimately however, I think you should visit both schools, see where you get accepted, and then worry about which school to attend after. Yes the cost difference is large, however, your mind might change once you visit. Maybe it will be worth it to you, maybe it won't because it's honestly different for each person. I will say though, UM gives scholarships to every p3 and p4 student, with additional ones you could try for... & you never know how much it will really cost you until you receive your aid package. So for now.. worry more on applying! :)

At great risk of starting another discussion over whether pharmacy school rankings matter, I'm going to tell you that I don't think the difference between #5 and #32 matters. Others might have a different opinion, but that's my take. Even if someone could convince me that the education you'd receive at UM is clearly superior to what you'd get from WSU, I still don't think you're going to see any financial return on the extra $80,000 investment you would be making by attending UM.

I am new to here and I don't know this is a sensitive topic. It's only my own struggling. I see your points! However, I am still not sure. As I live in Ann Arbor, if I go to WSU, I need to drive long hours everyday. It would be a headache to me.

I am new to here and I don't know this is a sensitive topic. It's only my own struggling. I see your points! However, I am still not sure. As I live in Ann Arbor, if I go to WSU, I need to drive long hours everyday. It would be a headache to me.

:laugh:

It's not THAT sensitive, it's just one of the recurring debates that we tend to keep having. Like Sparkly said, research both schools and then weigh whether the pros of attending UM would be worth the extra cash. The extra driving would certainly negate some of the financial benefit of attending WSU, for example. It's not all about money though, so whether it's "worth it" or not depends on the individual. My point was that you shouldn't expect a better job (financially or otherwise) based on attending UM vs. WSU.

Honestly, it depends more on the reputation of the school & it's alumni within the area you want to work in, not necessarily on the ranks.

Wayne might not be as well known as UM, but it's still a fine school. Ultimately however, I think you should visit both schools, see where you get accepted, and then worry about which school to attend after. Yes the cost difference is large, however, your mind might change once you visit. Maybe it will be worth it to you, maybe it won't because it's honestly different for each person. I will say though, UM gives scholarships to every p3 and p4 student, with additional ones you could try for... & you never know how much it will really cost you until you receive your aid package. So for now.. worry more on applying! :)

Thank you for your reply. The things concern me is that I need to take different courses. So far, I prepared according to UM. But I just learned that I would be treated as non-resident. If I prepare for WSU, I should take different courses. But may be I worried too early. Thank you for your suggestions. I should have a visit to both schools. Thanks.

:laugh:

It's not THAT sensitive, it's just one of the recurring debates that we tend to keep having. Like Sparkly said, research both schools and then weigh whether the pros of attending UM would be worth the extra cash. The extra driving would certainly negate some of the financial benefit of attending WSU, for example. It's not all about money though, so whether it's "worth it" or not depends on the individual. My point was that you shouldn't expect a better job (financially or otherwise) based on attending UM vs. WSU.

That's true. That's what I expected" expect a better job (financially or otherwise) based on attending UM ". Thanks for giving me another point of view.

Since you are still at the application stage, maybe you should consider applying to both programs. Even with the best credentials, there is no such thing as a sure thing with regard to pharmacy school admission and applying to only one school can be a gamble. Fate may make the decision for you.

Since you are still at the application stage, maybe you should consider applying to both programs. Even with the best credentials, there is no such thing as a sure thing with regard to pharmacy school admission and applying to only one school can be a gamble. Fate may make the decision for you.

Sorry, I just say your post. I understand what you mean and I think so too. My problem is I don't know what kind of classes to take. The requirement is so different. Thanks.

Sorry, I just say your post. I understand what you mean and I think so too. My problem is I don't know what kind of classes to take. The requirement is so different. Thanks.

Are you stuck on only WSU and UM? If not, why not check out some colleges with more similar requirements?

Are you stuck on only WSU and UM? If not, why not check out some colleges with more similar requirements?

Unfortunately, I am. My family is in here and I don't want to separate with my husband, children........ Thanks for your suggestion though.