Please help me with this decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

'Ditwee'

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. First of all, thanks for reading this (this is not my first post on SDN either, had to register a new name to get back on). Ok, here's the deal. I have applied 2 times to medical school (this year was my second attempt). On this second try, I did receive one interview (wait-listed, but I don't expect an acceptance as the class starts May 13th). I have also taken the MCAT twice with a lower score the second time...the heartache. :-( My highest score is a 26 and the only saving grace to that score is an 11 in Verbal (I guess my Q in Writing isn't that horrible either). By the way, I have a 3.52 GPA, good volunteering background/ECs and medical missions experience. I am currently working as a phlebotomist. My plan for 1 year off is now looking like 2. Or maybe 3...that's where my decision lies. I feel like my weak spot is my MCAT score. I had originally planned to enroll in a Princeton Review course (June-August) and take the August MCAT while tapering back my hours at work. I'm now beginning to wonder if I shouldn't wait until the April MCAT giving myself more time to study and an advantage with the application that year (scores would be back sooner). Both of my failed attempts were after taking the MCAT in August and submitting somewhat late (late August each year). I feel that this is my last chance with the MCAT though I guess I could petition to take it again if necessary (I do not want it to come to that!). Waiting for April would mean waiting out 2 more years, which kinda bums me out. On the other hand, I could use the time to bulk up my volunteer experience and perhaps do some research. Not to mention actually trying to find a job with my degree. :) But, if I do wait till April, this might mean moving back home with the folks for a while (grrrr) and I also would have to take Kaplan (not a big deal, but I've already tried them before.... it's pretty clear to me now that my biggest downfalls in studying for the MCAT have been focusing too much on material and not enough on practicing actual questions and drilling myself.... still, I wanted to try out PR). Ok, I know that's a lot to digest...I didn't originally intend to share so many of the details. Back to the decision....go for August or wait for April (given the above factors)? I'm struggling with this and I'd really appreciate some of your opinions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up. Your at an advantage because you know your weakness. I have applied twice myself and did pull my MCAT up six points on the retry. The secret is getting the basics own quickly (familiarity and memorization of formulas and prinicples). Then kill yourself on the pracitce tests. Take them over and over again, adn know why you missed each question. Kaplan or TPR doesn't matter, it is what you put into those stupid practice tests. That is my guarantee for MCAT success. Go for the August MCAT and if at all possible work half days, what I did, or don't work at all.

Have you considered DO? Your stats are right on the mark and they tend to like the applicant with a medical background.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your roommate didn't get into one of the schools he interviewed at, talk him into studying with you. His MCAT score should be expiring soon, right? Pairing up with a dedicated person is a great idea. Cut back on work, use the books I gave you, brew the coffee, etc... Good luck!

Aim for August. Third time's a charm! :wink: That's how many times I took the god-forsaken exam (voided the second exam, if you remember).

Another vote here for August. The key: practice, practice, practice. If you have materials, start off with a few passages a day (in addition to reviewing concepts), and work your way to full-lengths. You're lucky...I think it's way easier raising PS and BS rather than verbal!!! Good luck!

aloha

The only problem with taking the August MCAT is that the curve tends to be harder due to all the people who have the whole summer to study. I say take the April sitting and get in early on the next year's application process. The extra time to study and volunteer will only increase your chances. I admire your dedication for sticking with it, I'm sure the admissions people will too. Good luck whatever you decide.

I would do the April MCAT especially if you won't be taking classes. Yea it's another year, but if you want the MD you need to do well on the MCAT.

Thanks for all of the responses...would love to hear more.

OK, let me throw another wrench into these possible plans. What if I did an MPH in the meantime? I had considered that before but kinda let the MCAT take over all my focus. UF has a really great Masters in Public Health (Policy and Management) program that takes about a year. Basically, I am aching to be a student again. I could study for the MCAT alongside my coursework (this would lead me toward the April option). Any thoughts?

D to the I to the T to the W to the E to the E:

Check your PM. They're not delivering them to your inbox anymore. :confused: