Please help on a Letter of Rec! :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I volunteered about 2 years ago quite a bit at this one place and I am applying to school for next year. I asked for a letter of recommendation, and I expected that they would send it directly to AAMC, but they sent it to me. I feel a bit bad about reading the letter, but they wanted me to read it before they send it in. However, that is the least of my worries with this letter!

I read it, and the supervisor wrote it, not the person who I actually worked for. The writer said that they knew me for a long time and watched me grow and they really talked about how great I was. It would be really a great letter except for a couple of problems.

My last name is spelled wrong! They referred to me as "her" once in the letter, probably a spelling mistake. And the end of the letter says to call them up if they have any questions reguarding me. The guy talks as if he knows me, when really it was his assistant who I worked with. I don't want a school to call them up and ask about me and have him be like "uhh, uhh".

To make it worse, I don't know where else to get a letter for my volunteer work, as this is where I did the most leadership stuff and I worked for quite a while.

I understand that most organizations aren't allowed to have anyone but HR write them, but I mean they don't know me personally and they are calling it off saying they know me.

Also, I feel it is ethically wrong to tell them to change stuff in the letter, because it shouldn't be me telling them to change stuff, even though they tell me if I want it changed they will be happy to change it.

How do I balance this out? Should I forget about this orginization all together? I volunteered about 2 hours a day there for a span of a couple months mon-fri.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.