Please help: RowanSOM (DO) vs FIU HWCOM (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taguylla2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that this is pretty early but I’d love some insight! I have to put down a deposit for Rowan soon so I was wondering what you guys think the better option would be? I’m a NJ resident so Rowan would be significantly cheaper than living in Miami, but I do plan on pursuing a competitive speciality one day. What thoughts do you guys have on FIU? Is it a good medical school? Are there any red flags about FIU? What are the pros and cons? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've read a lot of red flags about FIU on reddit. Something about them kicking out under performing students to raise their match rate and also something about the mafia. I haven't verified any of this.

That all being said I would recommend looking up the accreditation rigors of an MD vs DO school. I don't know anything about Rowan, but I can confidently say that any accredited USMD school is a good medical school given how strict accreditation is.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FIU simply because even a flawed MD program will give you better opportunities (research, connections, rotating at university setting hospitals) and will allow you to have fewer hoops to jump through come residency.

FIU simply because even a flawed MD program will give you better opportunities (research, connections, rotating at university setting hospitals) and will allow you to have fewer hoops to jump through come residency.
What do you mean by flawed MD program? Is the program itself at FIU not strong?

What do you mean by flawed MD program? Is the program itself at FIU not strong?
Google "fiu mafia" youll see all the details on the first result on reddit. There you will also find links to the proof of what theyre talking about such as court documents.

Reactions: 1 user
Google "fiu mafia" youll see all the details on the first result on reddit. There you will also find links to the proof of what theyre talking about such as court documents.

What a rabbit hole lmao

Reactions: 1 users
MD over DO every time, even more so if aiming for a competitive specialty

Reactions: 1 user