Please help. school list removal/additions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imposter_syndrome

Reaction score
Hi. I'd really appreciate any comments, especially if you've been through choosing a school list.
I made a school list of about 49 schools based on MSARS and probably need to edit that down to about 30-35 so is there anything you would take out or add to my list.

What are my chances considering I'll be applying early this cycle? and should I apply to more than the 2 or 3 DO in my area or nah?

Based on MSARS I tried to choose mostly schools who are very OOS friendly and are in the range of my MCAT score (some are a reach).

1Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
2Cooper Medical School of Rowan UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
3Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical SchoolNeitherNo notes added by user
4Rutgers New Jersey Medical SchoolNeitherNo notes added by user
5New York Medical CollegeNeitherNo notes added by user
6Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at BuffaloNeitherNo notes added by user
7State University of New York Upstate Medical UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
8State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
9Albany Medical CollegeNeitherNo notes added by user
10Albert Einstein College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
11Pennsylvania State University College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
12Tulane University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
13Wayne State University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
14Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
15Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
16Drexel University College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
17Creighton University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
18University of Vermont College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
19Eastern Virginia Medical SchoolNeitherNo notes added by user
20Medical College of WisconsinNeitherNo notes added by user
21Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
22Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & ScienceNeitherNo notes added by user
23Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
24Geisinger Commonwealth School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
25Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
26University of Maryland School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
27University of Illinois College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
28University of Colorado School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
29University of Central Florida College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
30Tufts University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
31Saint Louis University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
32Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical CenterNeitherNo notes added by user
33New York University Long Island School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
34Georgetown University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
35George Washington University School of Medicine and Health SciencesNeitherNo notes added by user
36Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
37Emory University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
38Wright State University Boonshoft School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
39Virginia Tech Carilion School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
40Virginia Commonwealth University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
41University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public HealthNeitherNo notes added by user
42University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
43Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical CenterNeitherNo notes added by user
44West Virginia University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
45Stony Brook University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
46Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/NorthwellNeitherNo notes added by user
47Loma Linda University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
48University of Rochester School of Medicine and DentistryNeitherNo notes added by user
49University of Connecticut School of MedicineNeither

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good application, you don't need 49 schools. 25-30 well aimed schools should be enough. Seems like you have residency in NJ and NY? In that case you should keep all state schools in NJ and NY - those will be your best chances.

To start, you can remove: Wisconsin, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, UConn, Loma Linda, Emory (reach), West Virginia, Wayne State, Rush, Tufts (low yield).

Look through MSAR and see which schools on your list aren't OOS friendly (<25% of class) and you can remove those too.

Reactions: 1 users
You also need more clinical experiences unless you have left something off your list. What were your 500 hours of nonclinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good application, you don't need 49 schools. 25-30 well aimed schools should be enough. Seems like you have residency in NJ and NY? In that case you should keep all state schools in NJ and NY - those will be your best chances.

To start, you can remove: Wisconsin, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, UConn, Loma Linda, Emory (reach), West Virginia, Wayne State, Rush, Tufts (low yield).

Look through MSAR and see which schools on your list aren't OOS friendly (<25% of class) and you can remove those too.
Thank you Banco.
Are those schools you suggested to remove not so OOS friendly?
Also, by less than 25 percent of class do you mean I take all the accepted OOS students and divide that by total acceptances

1Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
10Albert Einstein College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
11Pennsylvania State University College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
14Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
15Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
21Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
22Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & ScienceNeitherNo notes added by user
23Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
24Geisinger Commonwealth School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
25Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
29University of Central Florida College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
35George Washington University School of Medicine and Health SciencesNeitherNo notes added by user
36Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
40Virginia Commonwealth University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
42University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
43Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical CenterNeitherNo notes added by user
46Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/NorthwellNeitherNo notes added by user
48University of Rochester School of Medicine and DentistryNeitherNo notes added by user

Thank you Banco.
Are those schools you suggested to remove not so OOS friendly?
Also, by less than 25 percent of class do you mean I take all the accepted OOS students and divide that by total acceptances

Usually they give a percentage. If they take 25% or more OOS it's usually fair game. The one's I removed are state schools that mostly take IS students; even if they take OOS students, they usually have higher than average stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm honestly not so sure what clinical means. I've done a lot of different volunteer work but I assumed only my hospital volunteering was considered clinical.
My other (non clinical I guess) volunteering is 1) teaching and performing science projects with middle school kids 2) bringing food to friendship circle homes during covid (friendship circle is an autistic/special needs program) 3) being in charge of the upkeep of my local synagogue (outdoor/indoor cleaning)
Clinical experiences are those that have direct patient contact. These experiences can be paid or volunteer. 100 hours is pretty low. You should really try to get 150 more before you apply. Your shadowing is fine as long as some of those hours is with a primary care doc. Your nonclinical hours are probably okay , especially your work with the Friendship Circle.

Clinical experiences are those that have direct patient contact. These experiences can be paid or volunteer. 100 hours is pretty low. You should really try to get 150 more before you apply. Your shadowing is fine as long as some of those hours is with a primary care doc. Your nonclinical hours are probably okay , especially your work with the Friendship Circle.
Thanks candbgirl. Can you give me some examples of clinical experiences outside of volunteering in the hospital. Since Covid they shut down my program and it doesn't look like it's opening up anytime soon so I can't volunteer in the hospital anymore.
(They have some volunteering at a mega vaccine site but that doesn't sound like clinical if I'm correct).

Thanks candbgirl. Can you give me some examples of clinical experiences outside of volunteering in the hospital. Since Covid they shut down my program and it doesn't look like it's opening up anytime soon so I can't volunteer in the hospital anymore.
(They have some volunteering at a mega vaccine site but that doesn't sound like clinical if I'm correct).
You have to do what you have to do. How about volunteering at a Hospice? Or a public health clinic? I think people are actually counting mega vaccine centers and testing sites. At least you will be able to show you tried.

You have to do what you have to do. How about volunteering at a Hospice? Or a public health clinic? I think people are actually counting mega vaccine centers and testing sites. At least you will be able to show you tried.
True. Thanks again.

Thank you Faha. Out of curiosity why did you take out buffalo, downstate, stony brook, NYU Long Island, and upstate (NY schools). I am a resident of NJ but my premed advisor says NY schools still consider me in state especially since I went to college in NY.
The SUNYs accept only 2% to 3% of non residents who apply. If you went to a particular schools for undergraduate school it would be worth applying to the medical school affiliated with that school.

The SUNYs accept only 2% to 3% of non residents who apply. If you went to a particular schools for undergraduate school it would be worth applying to the medical school affiliated with that school.
Got it. So I'm definitely not looked upon as a NY resident even though I did 4 yrs of undergrad in NY, is that right?

Here is a realistic list

6NeitherNo notes added by user
7NeitherNo notes added by user
8NeitherNo notes added by user
10NeitherNo notes added by user
11NeitherNo notes added by user
23NeitherNo notes added by user
24NeitherNo notes added by user
26NeitherNo notes added by user
27NeitherNo notes added by user
29NeitherNo notes added by user
32Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical CenterNeitherNo notes added by user
33NeitherNo notes added by user
37Emory University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
38NeitherNo notes added by user
39NYU-LINeitherNo notes added by user
41University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public HealthNeitherNo notes added by user
44West Virginia University School of Medicine (only if you have lots of ECs benefiting rural populations)NeitherNo notes added by user
45NeitherNo notes added by user
47Loma Linda University School of Medicine (only if you're SDA or devoutly Christian)NeitherNo notes added by user
48University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (maybe)NeitherNo notes added by user
49Neither