**removed**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

systematicX

Reaction score
*deleted* Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a difficult time for 2 years in undergrad finding anything due to COVID. I volunteered as a EMT pre-pandemic and was able to do research as well but just didn’t get the chance to get back around the non-clinical volunteer work. Would Volunteer EMT count as community service or would that only be categorized as clinical? Was hoping the research and EMT hours would compensate somehow. I will have a gap year after applying. Can I somehow do that during gap year and mention it?
You will have to ask the schools prior to applying. Most would likely ask how COVID affected you, and you could respond. However, most applicants have found food pantry opportunities during and after the pandemic as well as other community service (shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation).

Other applicants list EMT work as clinical, so it wouldn't help you if you didn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should accumulate 150 hours of non clinical volunteering (not tutoring or teaching) before you apply (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.)
If you do so I suggest these schools from your list:
VCU
EVMS
VaTech
UVA
Case Western
Dartmouth
Rochester
Ohio
Miami
Wake Forest
Renaissance Stony Brook
Cincinnati
NY Medical
GWU
Tufts
Brown
Jefferson
Temple
Rosalind
Albany
Drexel
Vermont
You could add these schools:
West Virginia
USF Morsani
Western Michigan
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai

Reactions: 1 users
I’m really hoping to submit application this upcoming cycle but obviously want to make sure I have everything I need before doing so. Do you think it’s too late for me to get these hours in and still make it early into the cycle? I have time to do so but also want to take advantage of an early submission. What’s considered late in the cycle? I just want to increase my chances of getting interviews/acceptances as much as possible. Thanks so much for your help! @Mr.Smile12 & @Faha
You could submit your application in Mid July and would not be late. So you have 3 months to accumulate those hours.

I am really lacking in hours in community service but I have volunteer EMT experience of over 2000+ hrs in an underserved and vulnerable community. Can this count as both clinical and community service hours or even just service?
It's clinical experience even if you are not paid. Service orientation is already baked into clinical experience so we want to see that you don't need the "clinical" element to embrace serving others who are underserved or vulnerable.

I am really lacking in hours in community service but I have volunteer EMT experience of over 2000+ hrs in an underserved and vulnerable community. Can this count as both clinical and community service hours or even just service?
I moved your question to your last thread as there was already some discussion about this.

It is definitely just clinical experience.

It's clinical experience even if you are not paid. Service orientation is already baked into clinical experience so we want to see that you don't need the "clinical" element to embrace serving others who are underserved or vulnerable.
Piggybacking off of this, clinical volunteering is sometimes seen as two birds, one stone. The adcom likes to see service to the needy that is non-clinical so that you aren't getting that clinical experience out of it, solely service to those in need. Embrace it, play the game, win big or fight it and take your chances, that despite everything else, what you have done will not be enough.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users