Please Help: What are my chances? I'm International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thymeofearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international Student no green card , I attend one of the top 5 liberal colleges. GPA: 3.496 ( I brought GPA up from what was 3.0 in freshman year - will medical school consider the progress?). I have tons of volunteer, EC and 2 years of research at my school.

I will take my MCAT in August 5th, Is that late even though I will submit the primaries by mid June?.

What are my chances of getting in / getting some sort of financial aid ? I would appreciate a list of school that I should apply to? or some general advice? Thanks a lot Guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an international Student no green card , I attend one of the top 5 liberal colleges. GPA: 3.496 ( I brought GPA up from what was 3.0 in freshman year - will medical school consider the progress?). I have tons of volunteer, EC and 2 years of research at my school.

I will take my MCAT in August 5th, Is that late even though I will submit the primaries by mid June?.

What are my chances of getting in / getting some sort of financial aid ? I would appreciate a list of school that I should apply to? or some general advice? Thanks a lot Guys

This might freak you out in an already stressful time in your life, but I don't know of any other way to answer your question. You will have your work cut out for you. I know a few failed foreign applicants, and I only know one that actually got in (into a DO school). Her stats should have gotten her into most med schools in the nation (3.9/35 and plenty of ECs). She ended up not getting into a single allopathic school she applied to (including the state where she was a resident at and the average stats are 3.6/31). Granted the DO school she is currently at is one of the best DO schools in the nation, it ultimately demonstrates that allopathic schools aren't really all that open towards international students... despite stats.

Work really hard, and destroy the MCAT on Aug. 5th (this is crucial). Your GPA will hurt you, but an upward trend is always good. Have great LORs, an amazing PS with emphasis on how you will help the medical field IN the US, and apply only to schools that have accepted at least some intl. students in the past (you can check my spreadsheet stickied at the top for the intl. data). Oh, and of course, apply to DO schools as well! Good luck. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot hal9000, I'm crossing my fingers