Please help with poss. interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

politik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can you please help me with the answers to the possible interview questions that were asked at the school where I am about to interview:

Would you spend over 15 minutes with each patient even though it puts you in conflict with MCOs that dictated this time limit?

How would you fix our healthcare system?

If you were placed in front of the admissions committee right now, what would you tell them to convince them to accept you?

Members don't see this ad.

are you just going to copy our answers?

i'll use them to formulate my own modified version, but i'll make sure to quote you in the footnotes.
please i need help, the interview is tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have prepared earlier. Review the following next time:

Understanding Health Care by Bodenheimer and Grumbach
Health Care Meltdown by Robert LeBow
University of Washington Bioethics website

Hi guys,
Can you please help me with the answers to the possible interview questions that were asked at the school where I am about to interview:

Would you spend over 15 minutes with each patient even though it puts you in conflict with MCOs that dictated this time limit?

How would you fix our healthcare system?

If you were placed in front of the admissions committee right now, what would you tell them to convince them to accept you?

Is the interview at EVMS? Sounds like some of the questions they typically ask. As for helping you out with the answers...I think that's something you have to do on your own there buddy. Check out the healthcare issues forum (there's one of them, right?) for help on the healthcare system question, but the others are ones you have to think about and give a PERSONAL answer to. Just be happy you know some of the typical questions and at least have tonight to mull it over, rather then being put on the spot with them tomorrow. Good :luck: !

Even if we tell you what we think, no interviewer is going to just fire off the questions. These were probably part of a bigger discussion, and if you take something you read here and just regurgitate in your own words, and if they ask followup questions and you can't converse, you're screwed worse than not having an opinion in the first place.

If your interview is tomorrow, don't waste your time stressing. If you get an ethical question, then just think about it and answer honestly. If they ask you what you think is wrong with healthcare, you only need to talk about 1 aspect of healthcare in America - which is a giant topic and your answer doesn't HAVE to be about the economics of it.

just be chill. if you're a wreck before your interview, that will do a lot more damage than an average response to any of these questions.

don't worry about it for this interview. go over the questions in your head and write down your gut response. this is especially important with ethical questions since there is no real right or wrong answer since what matters is that you show that you have a clear, rational train of thought. with the final question on what you'd say, that's simple; hit the high points of your application in terms of your experience.

oh and prepare earlier next time.

Definitely sounds like EVMS....don't worry about having a great answer and just talk through the problem with the interviewers...it'll turn into a conversation and 1) give you time to think or 2) might make you think of a great resolution to the problem!

try to be in the moment and really think about it. no interviewer is expecting you to be an expert on health policy, unless you majored in it or have a masters in it or something. it's a bad idea just to memorize something b/c if the interviewer decides to further question you down that route you are not in a good position to follow through. try to think about some clinical experiences/things you may have heard in the news that influence how you think about healthcare overall. the interviewer is trying to know who YOU are and your convictions (there's very rarely a wrong answer), not how well you can memorize something you think they want to hear.

the question you then return is: do you get a bonus for working overtime?

lord, just answer honestly. They likely won't ask you those directly but even if they are related to those they will be variants of the question that will make you have to think on the spot. This is why I don't prepare for interviews, and Ive managed to do just fine. They don't care about your answer as long as it isn't monetarily driven or assanine, they want to see that you are capable of rapid, coherent though. Ive been asked some tricky questions, and some downright ludicrous ones but they want you to think on the spot and show that you can think for yourself.

JUST...BE...HONEST...