Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking for an internship, no luck at all and I'm a sophomore by the way. Okay, so a woman who owns a practice told me that after 80 hours of interning/volunteering I could become a vet assistant.
Is this true?
And if so, what exactly do I have to do to get certified, tests or...?

Any answers would be great, I just need to know what I'm shooting for.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been looking for an internship, no luck at all and I'm a sophomore by the way. Okay, so a woman who owns a practice told me that after 80 hours of interning/volunteering I could become a vet assistant.
Is this true?

in the veterinary field, the term internship is generally used to describe a position for a DVM who chooses to spend a year at a teaching facility to gain further experience while under the guidance and mentorship of senior clinicians.

a vet assistant is basically someone who assists the vet/staff with no formal schooling or training - its pretty much on the job learning. there are certificate programs out there that one can complete, but they're expensive and not really worth the money and don't really get you much in terms of your end game goal of vet school. the hurdle is finding someone willing to train and hire you. if this woman is willing to give you a job after 80 hours, might be worth looking into, but you can also ask at surrounding vet clinics.

And if so, what exactly do I have to do to get certified, tests or...?
like i said, there are certificate programs out there, but they really aren't worth the time and money. that would be better spent elsewhere