#please #help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cola14mrc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to MD schools for 2017 cycle. Im just trying to gauge the entirety of my app.
im a caucasian male, no history of family in medicine
cGPA: 3.96
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: havent taken yet, goal is >90th percentile
Exercise Science major at OSU (top notch ExSci program)
- I have gained a lot of clinical/medical experience through my program. I had a class where I worked with older adults for motor development
-Have run dozens of VO2 max tests (stress tests), body composition analysis, etc.

EC's:
-about 2 years of volunteering in a CVD lab
-in the same lab, I earned a personal funding grant by the AHA for a project (name on a manuscript for my work), reviewed manuscripts for PI's journal, presented at AHA conference (top 3)
-450 hour clinical internship (unpaid) in a physical therapy/rehab clinic and working with sports medicine/performance with high school kids
-have spent about 25 hours volunteering with an organization that teaches tennis and physical activity to children and teenagers with Down's Syndrome
-100+ hours shadowing, 60 hours of very active shadowing where I was given tasks in the OR under a very highly respected teaching ortho surgeon (top 3)
-held two separate hair positions in a social fraternity, one of which was community service (organized ~1000 man hours of service, as well as several events donated to different organizations)
-spent a week in New Orleans with United Way on spring break (top 3)
-organic chem lab TA
-TA for human physiology
-VP and founding executive member of student organization for multiple myeloma
-held a part-time (10-15 hours/week) retail job through college (2 years) to pay rent, etc.

-4 very strong LORs

Would my clinical internship equate to clinical volunteering/experience?

please shoot some schools my way, if it helps any ive gotten 506, 506 and 510 on kaplan practices with a month of prep left.

Thanks people! I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
faha, i posted another with better details. ohio, and 6/18

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to tell without the actual MCAT. Your app seems fine and the GPAs are Harvard/Stanford caliber. MCAT will obviousl make or break you.

Start you list with your state schools.

Applying to MD schools for 2017 cycle. Im just trying to gauge the entirety of my app.
im a caucasian male, no history of family in medicine
cGPA: 3.96
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: havent taken yet, goal is >90th percentile
Exercise Science major at OSU (top notch ExSci program)
- I have gained a lot of clinical/medical experience through my program. I had a class where I worked with older adults for motor development
-Have run dozens of VO2 max tests (stress tests), body composition analysis, etc.

EC's:
-about 2 years of volunteering in a CVD lab
-in the same lab, I earned a personal funding grant by the AHA for a project (name on a manuscript for my work), reviewed manuscripts for PI's journal, presented at AHA conference (top 3)
-450 hour clinical internship (unpaid) in a physical therapy/rehab clinic and working with sports medicine/performance with high school kids
-have spent about 25 hours volunteering with an organization that teaches tennis and physical activity to children and teenagers with Down's Syndrome
-100+ hours shadowing, 60 hours of very active shadowing where I was given tasks in the OR under a very highly respected teaching ortho surgeon (top 3)
-held two separate hair positions in a social fraternity, one of which was community service (organized ~1000 man hours of service, as well as several events donated to different organizations)
-spent a week in New Orleans with United Way on spring break (top 3)
-organic chem lab TA
-TA for human physiology
-VP and founding executive member of student organization for multiple myeloma
-held a part-time (10-15 hours/week) retail job through college (2 years) to pay rent, etc.

-4 very strong LORs

Would my clinical internship equate to clinical volunteering/experience?

please shoot some schools my way, if it helps any ive gotten 506, 506 and 510 on kaplan practices with a month of prep left.

Thanks people! I appreciate any help.

Hard to tell without the actual MCAT. Your app seems fine and the GPAs are Harvard/Stanford caliber. MCAT will obviousl make or break you.

Start you list with your state schools.

thank you. it definitely is make or break. do you think that the 450 hour internship will suffice for the lack of "clinical volunteering", as it is unpaid?

You'll do great so long as you can score 80%+ on the MCAT. Better than fine, actually. And even if you only hit the 65%ile+, you'll still get in somewhere. App is solid all around.

You have a great GPA so as long as your MCAT is at least 508 you should receive some interviews from your Ohio schools. Apply to all the Ohio schools. You can add schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Tulane, Albany, Quinnipiac, New York Medical College. If your MCAT is above 512 you can aim higher and add other schools.

You'll do great so long as you can score 80%+ on the MCAT. Better than fine, actually. And even if you only hit the 65%ile+, you'll still get in somewhere. App is solid all around.
thank you. that is very reassuring. bless!

You have a great GPA so as long as your MCAT is at least 508 you should receive some interviews from your Ohio schools. Apply to all the Ohio schools. You can add schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Tulane, Albany, Quinnipiac, New York Medical College. If your MCAT is above 512 you can aim higher and add other schools.
thank you. i have rosalind, SLU, all ohio schools. my reaches are Pitt, Duke, and Penn (Perelman). My PI and good friend is on admissions committee at my school.