Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foreverworthless

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help

Something isn’t working and I’m so sick of underperforming in school. I’m an M2, and I keep scoring in the mid-low 70s on my exams. I don’t use anki because it never worked for me. My. Urgent study method is: attend class, type notes on the PPT during class and then have hand written notes, which I write over a few times. To test myself, I rewrite my notes without looking. I’d say before exams I am 90+ percent confident in the material, but then comes the exams and it’s just an utter disappointment and I can’t take the failure anymore....particularly with step next year...

Members don't see this ad.

You need to do more practice questions for recall training.

Reactions: 1 users
Your method can easily lead you to trick yourself into thinking you understand the material when you really can only recognize and repeat the concepts.

Practice Q’s allow you to find gaps in your knowledge base. Explaining the concept in your words can also be helpful in identifying if you actually understand the material

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read Make It Stick. The book really digs into these concepts

Reactions: 4 users
Blunt memorization without understanding how to apply all of the information is what is hurting you. You can recite a textbook cover to cover but that means nothing if you can’t actually say what it means. You need to be doing more practice questions

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you everyone for all the feedback and help. Is that something I should do spaced like spaces repetition or interweaves with note studying? Like what’s a good schedule/technique? Again, really appreciate it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Please help

Something isn’t working and I’m so sick of underperforming in school. I’m an M2, and I keep scoring in the mid-low 70s on my exams. I don’t use anki because it never worked for me. My. Urgent study method is: attend class, type notes on the PPT during class and then have hand written notes, which I write over a few times. To test myself, I rewrite my notes without looking. I’d say before exams I am 90+ percent confident in the material, but then comes the exams and it’s just an utter disappointment and I can’t take the failure anymore....particularly with step next year...
Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those fixable. Check in with your Student Services office.

If not, read this:

If you actually feel like your screen name, get help for that.

Lots of good advice here.

But also, 70+% is usually not "failing". It may not be as well as you want to score, but unless you are actually failing classes, you can be just fine at this level of performance. Most people who get into medical school were in the top 25% of their college class. Once you're in medical school, the people you are comparing yourself to have all been successful. Half the class is below average.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If you actually feel like your screen name, get help for that.

Lots of good advice here.

But also, 70+% is usually not "failing". It may not be as well as you want to score, but unless you are actually failing classes, you can be just fine at this level of performance. Most people who get into medical school were in the top 25% of their college class. Once you're in medical school, the people you are comparing yourself to have all been successful. Half the class is below average.
Thank you, I really appreciate that. We are P/F but I still take my performance pretty hard as reflected by my username and it makes me nervous about my Step prospects.

Eh don't worry about it. I think it depends how much you are studying. TBH, I am getting average or slightly below on exams, but I study like 1 hr a day during exam weeks because there's usually little information during the week of the exam, and a lot more the 1-2 weeks before exam week, and I get frustrated fast. If you are bustin your chops to get that score then I would think of doing something else. I'm not gonna offer much advice because clearly I'm not top 10 percentile or anything and am happy with where I'm at, but you should definetly use BnB/Pathoma/First aid along with your classes, and not using anki is fine, I know classmates who do really well without using it.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and help. Is that something I should do spaced like spaces repetition or interweaves with note studying? Like what’s a good schedule/technique? Again, really appreciate it.

If you have significant anxiety, theres no shame in reaching out! :) But to address studying...

That style of studying is very similar to mine. I studied most of anatomy with a scratch notebook and set a timer for 15-20 minutes at a time to try to basically recreate my syllabus, notes, drawings or w/e from memory. Then would set another timer, ~30 minutes, to correct what I just did. It worked really well for me.

I like quantifiables when I think about making a change to a study habit. And quantifying the effectiveness of a study technique is not really possible. If you equate this to athletic training, study techniques equate to training selection/exercise selection. And when you compare similarly effective exercises or training techniques, adherence is by far the most important trait when considering effectiveness of a technique. So... IMO, if you like the way you study, if it isn't miserable and you are reasonably productive, the first thing I would address would be quantifiable markers, not the study technique. So IMO, if you are truly quizzing yourself, I think that's a great technique. But there's a lot of other questions to ask yourself....

the most straightforward thing to modify is the amount of time you're studying and the number of repetitions you are doing of the material. If you were an athlete training for a sport, this would equate to training VOLUME. In the world of athletics (and I think academics) volume is king, not exercise/training selection. Questions you can ask yourself: How many hours of good focused study are you doing a day? Can you increase it? Do you need to increase it? How many times do you review each lecture before a quiz? once or twice? Maybe try making a list of all the lectures on each quiz and review each lecture 3-4 or even 5 times or more (over a period of days). If you use practice questions like Kaplan or Amboss or Rx, how many of those are you doing? Can you do more, review them more? I think Anki is effective because volume is built in. I'm not totally sold on the Anki algorithm of spaced repetition because you can totally adjust the scheduling however you want. As long as you train (study) at a high volume with sustainable but high intensity for a significant period of time, you will improve.
That means more hours studied, less distractions, more self-quizzes, more tables drawn from memory, more active recall.

Last two things:
Active is better than passive. Watching B&B does not equal trying to rewrite the important points of your notes from memory.
Volume doesn't increase over night. And it can't be an always high thing. Just like an athlete, you have to gradually increase intensity or duration. And you'll need time to recover.

But maybe you're maxed out already at like 9-12hrs of focused study. Well, your better than I am in that regard then. (I'm procrastinating right now!) then it would be time to try new study habits. I really don't think this is the case tho tbh. I've taught/tutored a couple hundred students off and on for around 5 years, and the common denominator for every student that does well has been high volume. (Also, I'm not saying you need to be studying for 9-12 hours a day. My argument is that if you aren't scoring where you want to be scoring, increase volume until you are scoring what you want. Find the minimal effective volume and utilize it.)

Hope that wasn't a waste of time to read. lol.
TLDR: Find the way that you love to study and that is reasonably effective, and own the **** out of it. Challenge yourself to study with more focus, intensity and for longer durations. Increase quantifiable metrics related to your study habits (like time spent and number of passes/repetitions). The same way an athlete trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
If you have significant anxiety, theres no shame in reaching out! :) But to address studying...

That style of studying is very similar to mine. I studied most of anatomy with a scratch notebook and set a timer for 15-20 minutes at a time to try to basically recreate my syllabus, notes, drawings or w/e from memory. Then would set another timer, ~30 minutes, to correct what I just did. It worked really well for me.

I like quantifiables when I think about making a change to a study habit. And quantifying the effectiveness of a study technique is not really possible. If you equate this to athletic training, study techniques equate to training selection/exercise selection. And when you compare similarly effective exercises or training techniques, adherence is by far the most important trait when considering effectiveness of a technique. So... IMO, if you like the way you study, if it isn't miserable and you are reasonably productive, the first thing I would address would be quantifiable markers, not the study technique. So IMO, if you are truly quizzing yourself, I think that's a great technique. But there's a lot of other questions to ask yourself....

the most straightforward thing to modify is the amount of time you're studying and the number of repetitions you are doing of the material. If you were an athlete training for a sport, this would equate to training VOLUME. In the world of athletics (and I think academics) volume is king, not exercise/training selection. Questions you can ask yourself: How many hours of good focused study are you doing a day? Can you increase it? Do you need to increase it? How many times do you review each lecture before a quiz? once or twice? Maybe try making a list of all the lectures on each quiz and review each lecture 3-4 or even 5 times or more (over a period of days). If you use practice questions like Kaplan or Amboss or Rx, how many of those are you doing? Can you do more, review them more? I think Anki is effective because volume is built in. I'm not totally sold on the Anki algorithm of spaced repetition because you can totally adjust the scheduling however you want. As long as you train (study) at a high volume with sustainable but high intensity for a significant period of time, you will improve.
That means more hours studied, less distractions, more self-quizzes, more tables drawn from memory, more active recall.

Last two things:
Active is better than passive. Watching B&B does not equal trying to rewrite the important points of your notes from memory.
Volume doesn't increase over night. And it can't be an always high thing. Just like an athlete, you have to gradually increase intensity or duration. And you'll need time to recover.

But maybe you're maxed out already at like 9-12hrs of focused study. Well, your better than I am in that regard then. (I'm procrastinating right now!) then it would be time to try new study habits. I really don't think this is the case tho tbh. I've taught/tutored a couple hundred students off and on for around 5 years, and the common denominator for every student that does well has been high volume. (Also, I'm not saying you need to be studying for 9-12 hours a day. My argument is that if you aren't scoring where you want to be scoring, increase volume until you are scoring what you want. Find the minimal effective volume and utilize it.)

Hope that wasn't a waste of time to read. lol.
TLDR: Find the way that you love to study and that is reasonably effective, and own the **** out of it. Challenge yourself to study with more focus, intensity and for longer durations. Increase quantifiable metrics related to your study habits (like time spent and number of passes/repetitions). The same way an athlete trains.
Wow! Definitely not a waste at all, thank you so much! This was super helpful to read, especially with the analogies. I feel bad that you wrote that whole thing out, but o really really appreciate the fact that you did!!

Reactions: 1 users