Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Please help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NUT, Nov 19, 2000.

1. NUT

NUT Member

Greetings,

I'm curious about the extra-curricular work/volunteer experiences needed when applying to school. Do you have any UNIQUE suggestions which may help? Currently, I go to school full-time and work about 20 hrs/wk at a local hospital as a Nutrition Care Assistant. In that position, I interact with patients and medical staff on a variety of levels. I feel that I get great exposure to medicine and patients through my job. In addition, I volunteer as an assistant coach for a local youth basketball team, which takes up about 3 hrs of my time per week, but it's something I enjoy. I was thinking about doing some volunteering for the Red Cross, but it seems like an overused place for pre-meds to do volunteer work. Would anyone mind sharing some neat ideas for getting volunteer work? Also, with my NCA job and more volunteer work, would this constitute a "solid" extra-curricular application? I'm not asking if I'll get accepted or not. I'm just asking if it sounds "well-rounded", assuming I have average numbers for med schools.
    NOTE: I have considered it, but I have done no research at this point.

Thanks

NUT

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If your town has a chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and if you have a spare afternoon or evening a week to spend with a kid, I'd suggest that. It's definitely unique, and is a great experience. I got into it because I know alot of "good kids gone bad" and I wanted to help a good kid realize their potential. My little sister wants to be a doctor too (part of the reason why they matched us) and has become a great part of my life. Although I didn't do this to put it on my app, I've been asked about it at every interview and the interviewers seem to view it in a very positive light. Just make sure you are doing it for the kid and not the app.

4. NUT

NUT Member

That's a great suggestion! You know, I entered the Youth basketball league for the same reasons that you did. I love the game of basketball, I love coaching/teaching the game to the youth, and I love to make a difference in their lives. One point I forgot to mention was that I only participate in things I truely believe in and want to immerse myself in completely. Your suggestions was a great one. I've never thought about participating in that program, but now I'm considering it as an excellent opportunity to help people. Thank you.

5. NUT

NUT Member

correction: I made it sound like you did the basketball thing, too. What I meant to praise you for was your involvement in the Big Brother's Big Sister's program. My grammar can be misleading sometimes. My apologies.

NUT