Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm curious about the extra-curricular work/volunteer experiences needed when applying to school. Do you have any UNIQUE suggestions which may help? Currently, I go to school full-time and work about 20 hrs/wk at a local hospital as a Nutrition Care Assistant. In that position, I interact with patients and medical staff on a variety of levels. I feel that I get great exposure to medicine and patients through my job. In addition, I volunteer as an assistant coach for a local youth basketball team, which takes up about 3 hrs of my time per week, but it's something I enjoy. I was thinking about doing some volunteering for the Red Cross, but it seems like an overused place for pre-meds to do volunteer work. Would anyone mind sharing some neat ideas for getting volunteer work? Also, with my NCA job and more volunteer work, would this constitute a "solid" extra-curricular application? I'm not asking if I'll get accepted or not. I'm just asking if it sounds "well-rounded", assuming I have average numbers for med schools.
NOTE: I have considered it, but I have done no research at this point.

Thanks

NUT

Members don't see this ad.

If your town has a chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and if you have a spare afternoon or evening a week to spend with a kid, I'd suggest that. It's definitely unique, and is a great experience. I got into it because I know alot of "good kids gone bad" and I wanted to help a good kid realize their potential. My little sister wants to be a doctor too (part of the reason why they matched us) and has become a great part of my life. Although I didn't do this to put it on my app, I've been asked about it at every interview and the interviewers seem to view it in a very positive light. Just make sure you are doing it for the kid and not the app.

That's a great suggestion! You know, I entered the Youth basketball league for the same reasons that you did. I love the game of basketball, I love coaching/teaching the game to the youth, and I love to make a difference in their lives. One point I forgot to mention was that I only participate in things I truely believe in and want to immerse myself in completely. Your suggestions was a great one. I've never thought about participating in that program, but now I'm considering it as an excellent opportunity to help people. Thank you.

correction: I made it sound like you did the basketball thing, too. What I meant to praise you for was your involvement in the Big Brother's Big Sister's program. My grammar can be misleading sometimes. My apologies.

NUT