Please Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shakia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 10B, 9Ph, 5 Vb. do I have ahance to get to a MD US medical school? 3.8 bio GPA.
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to sound harsh but it will be impossible to overcome the 5 in VR. That is a very low score and will be looked down upon by all the US med schools. You have a good GPA and the science scores on the MCAT are good but you really need to take the MCAT again and raise your VR score.

I too don't mean to be a downer, but a 5 verbal will be difficult to overcome. Maybe impossible. But maybe you should try anyway -- it really is up to you.

Your GPA and other MCAT scores are fine. Try retaking the MCAT if you can.

i go with the other posters. boost that verbal at all costs.

the question then is how can this be done. i'd say read lots of books. i didn't prepare at all for the verbal, but i read a lot in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there some *good reason* why you have a 5 in verbal? Is English your second language? If so, then you might not be out of luck. If not, I agree with the previous posters.

English is my second language, thas why my verbal is 5, and I can't improve it, time amjor issue. :confused:

:(
well, since english is your second language you may still have a shot. things would look a lot better if you had, say, a 7 in verbal. are you sure you can't improve it?

I checked the stats provided in the MSAR. For 2001, of all of the people that applied with a 24 total, about 1/3 of them of an acceptance. But of those with a 5 in verbal, only about 1/10 got an acceptance. It looks like an uphill battle, but don't give up. You never know what might happen unless you try.

Someone on these boards has a great signature, and i think it applies here... "You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue".

Either retake the mcat (with an obvious monster effort in verbal) or roll the bones and see what happens.