Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I shouldn't have applied to dermatology even though I would have loved to get in this field that I love. I don't think I have the qualifications that derm is looking for, and I get the impression I won't match. What's sad, is that I have also received 2 rejections from prelim/ty programs!! I can't understand that. How difficult can it possibly be to match into prelims?

I am feeling very down and feel like all the time and effort spent during med school has been in vain since I won't get into what I truly like.

Is is too late to apply to other programs now? If I have to scramble, can I get into programs in other specialties? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me at this point. Really feel down.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi MedStudentQuest,

Not knowing what your stats are, it is hard to comment. It is worrisome you are having rejections from prelim programs, unless you are applying to really competitive programs. You can scramble into other residencies, but this probably is not the best back-up plan. Do you have any other options if you do not match into dermatology?

Dermatology is a great field, but there are other specialties out there that are fun/exciting/lucrative--whatever you are looking for. You have to be honest about your chances of matching into dermatology.

What do you like about derm? If it is the hours, consider subspecialties in internal medicine that are similar. Allergy/Rheum/Endocrinology. Without knowing more of your situation, I cannot comment further. But there are many options and don't get down. Figure something out. If it helps, I had a friend of mine that tried to get into ortho (his dad was an ortho). He didn't match and scrambled into a prelim IM spot. He went on to do pulmonary and sleep fellowship--last I heard he was doing VERY well (in terms of time and compensation).

Hi MedStudentQuest,

Not knowing what your stats are, it is hard to comment. It is worrisome you are having rejections from prelim programs, unless you are applying to really competitive programs. You can scramble into other residencies, but this probably is not the best back-up plan. Do you have any other options if you do not match into dermatology?

Dermatology is a great field, but there are other specialties out there that are fun/exciting/lucrative--whatever you are looking for. You have to be honest about your chances of matching into dermatology.

What do you like about derm? If it is the hours, consider subspecialties in internal medicine that are similar. Allergy/Rheum/Endocrinology. Without knowing more of your situation, I cannot comment further. But there are many options and don't get down. Figure something out. If it helps, I had a friend of mine that tried to get into ortho (his dad was an ortho). He didn't match and scrambled into a prelim IM spot. He went on to do pulmonary and sleep fellowship--last I heard he was doing VERY well (in terms of time and compensation).

I guess I am being unrealistic about derm and don't have the board scores needed for it. I just thought that maybe the fact that I did really well clinically and that my school program and the attendings really liked me and encouraged me would have made a difference, but i guess not. I love derm, after my own personal struggles with derm problems i feel it's the perfect field. not really concerned about $ as i'm more interested in academic derm.

I also like psychiatry, and currently have 2 letters that I could use. I can get a third one without much difficulty. Is it too late to apply for psych?

Why do you say it's not the best back up to match into other residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still apply to psych. Just check the web sites of the places you want to apply, and make sure you don't miss the deadline. You should hurry up. Many programs, even at good academic med centers, would be happy to have a US grad with decent grades in psych.

You could also get in to internal medicine.

You can still apply to psych. Just check the web sites of the places you want to apply, and make sure you don't miss the deadline. You should hurry up. Many programs, even at good academic med centers, would be happy to have a US grad with decent grades in psych.

You could also get in to internal medicine.

I just feel so down right now. I mean I know derm is very competitive to get into, but I was hoping that all the work I've put in would pay off. I have good grades, will be getting a publication, I am great clinically, but I guess that without phenomenal board scores, derm is gone. It's sad to know that there are other people out there who have matched with low board scores. I just feel like giving up at this point.

I just feel so down right now. I mean I know derm is very competitive to get into, but I was hoping that all the work I've put in would pay off. I have good grades, will be getting a publication, I am great clinically, but I guess that without phenomenal board scores, derm is gone. It's sad to know that there are other people out there who have matched with low board scores. I just feel like giving up at this point.

It sounds like you have a lot else going for your application: good clinical grades, interest in academic derm, and good references. My guess is you still have a decent chance, maybe most of your rejections so far are from programs that screen for Step 1 scores. Did you apply pretty broadly? Are there still a lot of programs you have not heard from?

What I would do are two things: 1) work on the back up plan , 2) set up a metting with your home derm chairman and ask him what he thinks your chances are for matching this year and also matching down the road if you have to reapply. Reasses from there.

It sounds like you have a lot else going for your application: good clinical grades, interest in academic derm, and good references. My guess is you still have a decent chance, maybe most of your rejections so far are from programs that screen for Step 1 scores. Did you apply pretty broadly? Are there still a lot of programs you have not heard from?

What I would do are two things: 1) work on the back up plan , 2) set up a metting with your home derm chairman and ask him what he thinks your chances are for matching this year and also matching down the road if you have to reapply. Reasses from there.

I do have pretty good grades, mostly clinical outstandings, 2 letters from my home program, and I'm currently even doing research with the PD, although as with all research, sometimes there are issues. I only got 1 rejection from derm, which was from Mayo. I have not heard from other derm programs yet. What scares me is that I saw on here that my home program sent out interview invites just very recently, and I haven't gotten one yet. I wonder if that means that I won't get one?

I have gotten 2 prelim interviews, have not heard from most other prelim/TY programs, and i got 2 rejections from two other prelims. I just don't understand why the prelim programs rejected me.

I did email my PD about research related stuff that I need help with, and I was hoping to talk to him about if they don't give me a spot this year, whether I could maybe continue doing research or something after prelim and then get a spot. To be honest though, I'm really scared. But also my school has received hundreds of apps. for just a few spots. It just feels like my dream is being crushed right now. Sorry to be dramatic, but I suppose this is what it feels like for those who work so hard during undergrad and can't get in to med school. :(

Welcome to the era of ERAS. With so many applicants pan-applying, it's sad that students are literally reduced to #s now.

But to be fair, it's the only way for these programs to narrow the applicant pool.

So while your clinical grades may be great, there's a good chance programs will never even view your transcript as long as your AOA-status and Step 1 cutoff are not up to their standards.

I would definitely speak with your PD for advice and consider a backup plan. It's certainly not the best feeling in the world but you have an opportunity to do something about it now.

What you don't want to do is just mope silently and suffer the consequences come March. That would really be heart breaking.

Welcome to the era of ERAS. With so many applicants pan-applying, it's sad that students are literally reduced to #s now.

But to be fair, it's the only way for these programs to narrow the applicant pool.

So while your clinical grades may be great, there's a good chance programs will never even view your transcript as long as your AOA-status and Step 1 cutoff are not up to their standards.

I would definitely speak with your PD for advice and consider a backup plan. It's certainly not the best feeling in the world but you have an opportunity to do something about it now.

What you don't want to do is just mope silently and suffer the consequences come March. That would really be heart breaking.

I just went to see my PD about research stuff, but the PD has been quite serious for a few days. I made a mistake in the research and maybe it's related to that, I don't know. I asked for help and he said he'd be coming shortly to help but still waiting. Should I go back today or tomorrow and just honestly ask whether I'll be getting an interview and whether I really have a chance of doing something to get in?

As far as you talking about consequences in March, how hard is it to scramble into a different position? Not obviously derm, but in something else?

I would not be so blunt in asking him for an interview offer. Start off slowly and ask for general advice (and lay all your stats down on the table so he knows what you're working with)

I would imagine if you're willing to go anywhere, scrambling isn't that hard. I've heard over and over again that you really want to avoid the scramble if possible.

Out of curiosity, how "prestigious" were the prelim programs you applied to? I've never heard of prelim medicine programs being haughty enough to reject applicants.

I just went to see my PD about research stuff, but the PD has been quite serious for a few days. I made a mistake in the research and maybe it's related to that, I don't know. I asked for help and he said he'd be coming shortly to help but still waiting. Should I go back today or tomorrow and just honestly ask whether I'll be getting an interview and whether I really have a chance of doing something to get in?

As far as you talking about consequences in March, how hard is it to scramble into a different position? Not obviously derm, but in something else?

I don't mean to dampen your spirit by suggesting you do anything other than derm but...

Psych is very friendly and I think if you are interested in it you could be very happy. Why don't you go ahead and apply to some psych programs just for fun (and backup to ease your anxiety). The derm deal is not over yet and its still too early to tell. Some people match with very few interviews ("it only takes one"). You do, however, have to be realistic about the possibility of not matching. That's why I think its a good idea to consider the psych route.

I too enjoy psych and have pondered the option of scrambling into psych. There are many positions and not all are filled. It would be better if you applied though so you could pick a few programs you like (like your home program, for example). There is no shame in having a back up.

And..of course. If derm is all you've ever wanted and you will die in anything else then sure, do a research year. Persistence is rewarded in derm. I see it all the time in my home program where half the residents are former research fellows.

Good luck!

I don't mean to dampen your spirit by suggesting you do anything other than derm but...

Psych is very friendly and I think if you are interested in it you could be very happy. Why don't you go ahead and apply to some psych programs just for fun (and backup to ease your anxiety). The derm deal is not over yet and its still too early to tell. Some people match with very few interviews ("it only takes one"). You do, however, have to be realistic about the possibility of not matching. That's why I think its a good idea to consider the psych route.

I too enjoy psych and have pondered the option of scrambling into psych. There are many positions and not all are filled. It would be better if you applied though so you could pick a few programs you like (like your home program, for example). There is no shame in having a back up.

And..of course. If derm is all you've ever wanted and you will die in anything else then sure, do a research year. Persistence is rewarded in derm. I see it all the time in my home program where half the residents are former research fellows.

Good luck!

Hi,

For psych, I have considered it for quite a bit of time and have done electives and even will have a publication in a paper. The thing is that I have not applied yet and although I can have a third letter soon enough and everything to apply, it seems kind of late. Also, won't committees wonder why I have applied so late?

As far as derm, I love it and because of so many personal experiences, I feel it's the perfect fit for me. I think academic derm is fantastic and would just love to be in it. I realize how competitive it is and that only a tiny minority of people go into it, but it makes me feel so down that I may not be able to match in it. And certainly, I realize there is no shame in not matching per se, but it really stings that if I am unable to do what I love.

I am currently doing research and that's why I'm so interested in having the project come out well and possibly get a publication also. The same with my home program as far as many of the residents having gotten in through a research year. I would be more than willing to go this route.

I just talked to another classmate and she also has not received word yet from our home school about interviews, even though someone on here already said that my school had sent out invites. That really sucks. :(

I just talked to another classmate and she also has not received word yet from our home school about interviews, even though someone on here already said that my school had sent out invites. That really sucks. :(

you can't believe everything you see on here, medquest. Also, your program may be handling "Home applicants" differently than other candidates. Send an email to your PD you are close with and ask about it.

So I think I shouldn't have applied to dermatology even though I would have loved to get in this field that I love. I don't think I have the qualifications that derm is looking for, and I get the impression I won't match. What's sad, is that I have also received 2 rejections from prelim/ty programs!! I can't understand that. How difficult can it possibly be to match into prelims?

I am feeling very down and feel like all the time and effort spent during med school has been in vain since I won't get into what I truly like.

Is is too late to apply to other programs now? If I have to scramble, can I get into programs in other specialties? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me at this point. Really feel down.

How many dermatology programs did you apply too? This waiting game goes on for another month, so I understand.

you can't believe everything you see on here, medquest. Also, your program may be handling "Home applicants" differently than other candidates. Send an email to your PD you are close with and ask about it.

I agree with you, but why would someone say they got an interview at a certain place if they didn't? And I know my home program was in the process of reviewing and sending out invites, so it's not a far fetched thing. The home applicant thing may be true, I don't know. The problem with the PD even though I'm doing research with him is that he's very academic and serious type, so it's not easy to ask him things. I saw him today and talked about some research problems and he came and helped me, but I was too afraid of asking him about invites.

Do you think I should realistically go and talk to him about whether I'll get an interview and if not, whether I can do something to get one or somehow match in the future? Or will that be taken negatively do you think?

I am getting flashbacks of applying to med school and wondering-what will happen? :(

Well if your PD seems preoccupied this week, don't test your luck with asking him questions and bringing up rumored invites. Like scumbagderm said, you can't believe everything you read on here.

Now, if he invites you to his office for a one-on-one chat, be succinct. From what I can tell about your personality here on SDN, I am afraid you may get overly verbose and pessimistic in front of him. Your PD wants to see a person with a positive mindset, with willingness to be patient and persistent.

Whatever you do, do NOT ask for an interview or bring up SDN chats.

Anyway, it is still early in the invite game. I too have noticed that my home program has already sent out an interview and I have not recieved anything yet. Just sit tight. It's not over until it's over.

:thumbup: