Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Puppies3131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People I really need your help! I got accepted to 3 DO schools but they are on the west coast. I have some family emergencies and I cannot move to the west coast this summer. I need to reapply and try to get into PCOM or TOURO-Harlem or maybe even UMDNJ for next year.

If I retake some liberal arts courses such as History, and ART I can get my gpa up from 3.4 to 3.5. Do you think adcom will frown upon this because I retook liberal arts course instead of taking upper division science courses?

I am also planning to retake the MCAT in may to be more competitive at PCOM. I currently have a 25P.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you apply to the west coast then? If this is a big family emergency then you can deferr acceptance at those west coast schools and have something to fall back on next year. However this will be a red flag on your app, you'll be a re-applicant.
Taking some random art classes isn't looked down upon, however if your sgpa is low then you should take some more upper level classes to raise it up too.

I also suggest trying to defer admission one year. Hopefully your family emergency will be solved within a year. :thumbup: This is a big opportunity to put on hold, so I'd try absolutely everything before saying "no" to all the schools.

I agree - defer 1 year. Reapplying after an acceptance is an uphill battle. Why should a school risk taking someone that doesn't appear dedicated when there are thousands that are? (that's their arguement - regardless of situation).