please i need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbarbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there,

I just finished preclinical and am supposed to do step 1 and clinical roations later this year. However for personall reasons i would like to take a yr or 2 off.I was thinking of doing a degree or research during this time to boost my medical career in the future. Any advice about what degrees , certificates or research i can do?

Members don't see this ad.

My school has a 1 year add on research track. As far as I know, you just look for some area of research you're interested in and contact people to see if there are any projects waiting for med students, then talk to the dean to get approval.

I guess the question of the degree vs. research could be answered by what you're interested in. From the way you describe degrees and don't even know what's out there, I don't get the feeling that you're super interested in a MPH or MBA.

i dont have a bachelors in publlic health nor hospital administration, 2 areas i was considering, therefore it would take some time to earn MPH or MHA

Members don't see this ad :)
MPH is typically a 1 year track at most places with a few credits required during your last year of med school. Same for MHA. Both are easy year fillers.

Research is DEFINITELY more prestigious if you're looking for a career boost. Things to look into include HHMI, NIH Cloister, Sarnoff. There are probably others out there but I can't think of them at 1am.

am i eligible to take part in these research even if i am not an american citizen And atttend an offshore school? Also about the mph program, can i do it before i do step 1 or rotations?