Please pity me!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lihtris

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I normally don't do this but my week totally sucks @ss. So I was feeling down that I hadn't been getting interviews which made me less motivated to finish the rest of my secondaries.

Then on Wednesday, on the way back from the airport, I got into a car accident. My first ever.

On Friday, on the way to the airport to pick up the person I had dropped off earlier, I lost my cell phone. I know I am ******ed. How could I have lost my cell phone?

I was feeling truly depressed about the lack of progress on my applications and my ******edness.

Then on saturday, I learn that I have conjunctivities = "pink eye". Which in my mind, only dirty little children get. I am so clean, I wash my hands all the time. wtf

And just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I got a flat tire today. Again first flat tire ever.

Maybe this is a sign, that I will get into all of my medical schools. I am not holding my breath though.

Anyway onto my real question, if you've made it this far. When is it appropriate to call a school to find out about my status. I am complete at most of my schools, some for more than a month, but I have not heard anything. Would it be appropriate to call for a status check, or would I just seem pathetic.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear about your streak of luck. Either karma is in play here or its just random bad luck. (pstt... SDN isnt the place to go for pity, alot of people will eat you up here and you might end up leaving feeling worse then when you did coming in. on the whole everyone seems nice here, but there are a few nasty ones lol)

As for calling a school, it depends. if its online, and it lists you as incomplete even a week or so after you submitted it, (assuming everything else is submitted like uploaded LORs or fee or photo or whatever) id call them and ask them to look into the app. This is especially important for schools which have short deadlines after they send you a secondary app to complete it.

If you've mailed it regularly, and still havn't heard from them, id either check their website or their notification email to you, or their application to see typically how long it takes something like that to get processed. Some take 2 full business weeks before they might notify you (esp if they are cashing checks and must wait for it to clear). Id say, on the whole, if you mailed it, if a week and a half or so has passed from when you expected the application to get there, and you still havn't had any notice whatsoever, id call em. i doubt that theyll mark down on your app, how many calls you've made lol

Funny the poster above me mentioned karma, because that's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe all your negative stuff is getting played out first to pave out a path for all the great stuff to arrive (i.e. interviews)!

Knock on wood, and good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Boooo to thinking only dirty little children get pink eye. It is an infection, a highly contagious one that anyone can get. I can understand being frustrated with your luck, but nothing that you have said is really a big deal (I assume the car wreck was minor since you talked about doing other things afterwards). Also, I sympathize with wanting interview invites (I am still waiting for them myself) but come on .... its August. You really need to chill out. If you think losing a cell phone, banging your car and getting pink eye stresses you out .... I would hate to see what happens when you get in med school. Keep things in perspective buddy, welcome to life.

Poor guy. It will get better. Don't know about the med schools. I say it probably doesn't help to call them unless it seems they've forgotten you. Yes? No?

Secondaries.

Consider yourself lucky!

Thanks for the advice guys. I suppose I am lucky that I got secondaries and am filling them out. I was just feeling really depressed about my bad luck. I hope you guys are doing better, and I wish you all lots of interviews.

I pity da fool!
mr-t-mom.png

Maybe it's a sign that you should step past your stress and focus on what matters most to you right now...don't let those little things blow this chance for you... keep chuggin along and don't look back...

Ok I think that is enough pity. I don't need more. Thanks Danjo. Mr. T would make anyone feel better.

lihtris said:
Ok I think that is enough pity. I don't need more. Thanks Danjo. Mr. T would make anyone feel better.

I'm taking my 2 year old in for his fifth MRI tomorrow. Due to his deformed brain and optic nerve. So, my life sucks more than yours. And I also have no interviews. Oh, and my cell phone was stolen last week. And I'm broke. And stop using the word "******ed" like that. Maybe that's where your bad karma came from.

MiesVanDerMom said:
I'm taking my 2 year old in for his fifth MRI tomorrow. Due to his deformed brain and optic nerve. So, my life sucks more than yours. And I also have no interviews. Oh, and my cell phone was stolen last week. And I'm broke. And stop using the word "******ed" like that. Maybe that's where your bad karma came from.

this totally reminds me of an episode of grey's anatomy:

meredith: "do you want to play a game of whose life sucks more? i'll even go first. i promise i'll win."
christina: "i'm pregnant and burke broke up with me."
meredith: "you win."
;)

With your stats, you don't need to worry about getting into medical school. Just don't mess up the interviews. :cool:

lihtris said:
I normally don't do this but my week totally sucks @ss. So I was feeling down that I hadn't been getting interviews which made me less motivated to finish the rest of my secondaries.

Then on Wednesday, on the way back from the airport, I got into a car accident. My first ever.

On Friday, on the way to the airport to pick up the person I had dropped off earlier, I lost my cell phone. I know I am ******ed. How could I have lost my cell phone?

I was feeling truly depressed about the lack of progress on my applications and my ******edness.

Then on saturday, I learn that I have conjunctivities = "pink eye". Which in my mind, only dirty little children get. I am so clean, I wash my hands all the time. wtf

And just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I got a flat tire today. Again first flat tire ever.

Maybe this is a sign, that I will get into all of my medical schools. I am not holding my breath though.

Anyway onto my real question, if you've made it this far. When is it appropriate to call a school to find out about my status. I am complete at most of my schools, some for more than a month, but I have not heard anything. Would it be appropriate to call for a status check, or would I just seem pathetic.

Whenever you do call those schools, tell them as little of this story as possible.

Duchess742 said:
this totally reminds me of an episode of grey's anatomy:

meredith: "do you want to play a game of whose life sucks more? i'll even go first. i promise i'll win."
christina: "i'm pregnant and burke broke up with me."
meredith: "you win."
;)
I feel guilty being a pre-med and watching Grey's Anatamy.

But it's so good...