Please, please help

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by mazya, Dec 14, 1999.

1. mazya

mazya Member

I am in already in WesternU, and have interviews for UHS, NOVA, and CCOM. Since I already got in my state school, I am reluctant to go to the other interviews. I am losing on anything? Does it really matter which school I go to? Please let me know what you think.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KimR

Resident [Any Field]
    First of all, congratulations on all of your interviews! Whether to go - that's a personal decision. Is your state school your first choice? How much do you know about the other three? Were they safety schools, or are you truly interested in the programs? Are finances a problem? I would think really hard about cancelling interviews! If you're cool with locking yourself into a state school, do that. If you want options later, go to the interviews!

4. mazya

mazya Member

Thanks Kim. Actually, I am leaning towards WesternU since it is in my state and that I might be able to do some rotations at UC schools. The other schools pretty much have their own rotations which means less freedom. My biggest worry is being descriminated at residency programs if I am from a particular school. In your opinion, how much do the place of DO school matter when applying for residencies?

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Hi mazya:

I couldn't help but read what you were inquiring about.

I am currently a second year medical student at WesternU/COMP. Here is my take on your situation:

If you really don't mind going to any of the medical schools you have interviews on (congrats, by the way!) and money is not a problem, GO FOR IT!!! You will never know unless you try.

Then again, finances can accrue tremendously (travel, etc..)and quickly. Besides, you will accrue even more debt when you begin your medical school career. Why dig yourself even deeper?

Also, since you are already in a medical school and its in your home state (not many people get that lucky)I would say you are golden.

Don't worry about rotations, residency or about the whole DO thing. You don't see it yet (I didn't unitl I came here) but it really doesn't matter...really! MD or DO, nobody will tell you apart unless you tell them (or when you start trying some OMM on someone)

WesternU/COMP has a lot of opportunities to rotate to the UC/Loma Linda sites. I am entering my 3rd year soon and are planning to rotate through some UC sites in ER and Internal Med such as USC-LA County, Loma Linda Medical Center, or UC Irvine Medical Center. In fact, we have quite a bit of alums from WesternU who are currently interns/residents in radiology, internal med, or family practice at Loma Linda, USC-COunty, UC Irvine Med. They are very DO friendly there.

My only beef with WesternU is that they really work you hard (8-5 everyday) out here. Unless you are lazy (Im sure your not or else you wouldn't have been accepted to med school) then you will feel the heat/pressure. In the long run, WesternU grads shine when they leave. I figured its the hard work ethic they instill in you that might have something to do with it.

If you want to talk more, let me know...glad to help if I can [​IMG] Again, CONGRATS and WELCOME TO MEDICINE!!!!

6. mazya

mazya Member

Thanks so much for your reply. It is very heartning to hear good things about WesternU by someone actually matriculating there. I think that I will cancel all my other interviews and focus on WesternU. By the way, what kind of residency would you like to get into?

7. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Hi mazya [​IMG]

It's really hard to say at this point-I really like a lot of different things. I will be definitive when I begin rotations next year. At this point, I am lokking into internal med/ER. There are dual programs out there (Internal Med/Peds, Family Practice/ER) that are only 4 years postdoc and you will be board certified in both areas (Sounds cool!!!) That is catching my eye right now, but then again things may change when I start rotaions (who knows...I may like cutting instead). Only time will tell [​IMG]

Let me know if there is anything thing I can help you with if you decide to attend WesternU. GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

8. VAD

VAD Member

Hi Mazya,

Congrats on your acceptance to Western!!

If staying near family and friends is very important to you, I think Western is a great choice. However, my only concern about Western is it's high price tag. According to US News, it has the highest average debt load per student (160K). If there are other schools you're interested in, I think it would be worthwhile to continue interviewing and see what happens with other options. I know that almost all students acquire debt through medical school, but I think that 160K compared to 60, 70, or even 80K is outrageous. If this were your only acceptance, then I could understand your desire to attend. But, just food for thought...

Congrats again!

VAD

9. GariCGDo2003

GariCGDo2003 New Member

First year D.O. student at Western U! I recommend that you explore all your options and try to make all your interviews! If you can afford the travel and expenses, DO IT! Then decide! If you have already paid your tuition deposit of $1,500 at COMP, then just enroll there next fall! you won't regret it! IT's a good school and you learn a lot! But DAX is right! They work your ASS OFF there! Be ready for an exam every Monday in a different subject! ALso, Anatomy is HUGE AT WESTERN UNIV! They emphasize it more than at any other school! It is tough, but it is worth it! you will really feel like you are getting your money's worth! Hence, the higher indebtness by COMP students!

After training, however, COMP students do very well securing good residencies of their choice!

10. new_med

new_med Member

Hello, everyone!

Mazya, I am in the same situation. I have been accepted to WesternU and AZCOM but have more interviews coming up. I decided not to go to CCOM for an interview, simply because California is my home state and because moving to Chicago would be too complicated for me (CCOM is a great school by the way). I also have an interview in San Francisco--that interview I really want to attend. Also, I need advice. I called TUCOM because I didn't hear from them for a long time, and I found out that in the beginning of November they invited me for an interview, but I never received the letter!! I will still have an interview there, but it will be in January instead of November!! As you know, every day counts when it comes to med. school application process. Is there anything I can do? Anyway, guys, thanks for posting your messages, they help a lot!

11. tonydtgr

tonydtgr Member

hey new_med
    i'm trying to choose between AZCOM and COMP too. What did you think about AZCOM? What school are you leaning towards?

12. NickCVM

NickCVM Senior Member

Here is my 2c..
    After I got in COMP last year I cancelled all my other interviews.. (I was trying to finish my research paper and didn't have a lot of time to play arround). I really haven't regreted it so far.
    I 2nd everything that the other western students have said above. That was a hell of a 1st semester (37 credit hours = .. that's right, it's a lot of studying).
    Good luck in your decision making - being in a place you like is very important.
    Nicolas-- WesternU'03

13. new_med

new_med Member

Hi, Tony

Well, I am almost sure I am going to Western, but I'm not 100% sure, so I sent deposits to both of them. I am leaning towards Western because the school is better established and because I am from California, so it will be easier for me to move and settle in Pomona. As for AZCOM, my very first interview this year was there, and it was a great experience. I'd never been treated by the interviewers and the admissions as well as I was at AZCOM. In my opinion, that tells a lot about the school. I think AZCOM has a great future.