Please read story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ausername

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first year of undergrad I had to deal with a lot of family issues (mainly issues I had with my mom, her anger issues, and psychological problems, drug dependence), this was a big distraction and didn't leave much room to focus.

That was my first semester.. which absolutely killed my gpa... I am about to start my third year of university with a 2.64

I had two questions... one is, do medical schools count my community college gpa, and if so how would it count.

My university gpa is a 2.64 with 54 earned hours, 79.33 quality points?

My college gpa is a 3.23 with 31 earned hours, and 103.00 quality points?

My second year of college I founded and lead my own prehealth organization on campus which did fairly successfully. I also got a job at a local medical school university hospital working as a patient care tech.

I want to know what I can do at this point... to better my chances of getting in if I applied at the end of my third year. Post bac is my LAST option, I want to apply at the end of my junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

My first year of undergrad I had to deal with a lot of family issues (mainly issues I had with my mom, her anger issues, and psychological problems, drug dependence), this was a big distraction and didn't leave much room to focus.

That was my first semester.. which absolutely killed my gpa... I am about to start my third year of university with a 2.64

I had two questions... one is, do medical schools count my community college gpa, and if so how would it count.

My university gpa is a 2.64 with 54 earned hours, 79.33 quality points?

My college gpa is a 3.23 with 31 earned hours, and 103.00 quality points?

My second year of college I founded and lead my own prehealth organization on campus which did fairly successfully. I also got a job at a local medical school university hospital working as a patient care tech.

I want to know what I can do at this point... to better my chances of getting in if I applied at the end of my third year. Post bac is my LAST option, I want to apply at the end of my junior year.

Your numbers don't add up to a 2.64 but to something much lower...and yes, all CC and Uni hours and grades count in your "undergrad" GPA...

What you can do? How about a 4.0 for the last 2 years of school for starters...you have dug a huge hole for yourself, and you need to really show med schools that you overcame the obstacles and are capable of stellar grades...mediocre grades are not helping you...seriously buckle down and do the work, get the As, and then see where you stand...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only got a 3.23 on your CC, you're going to be challenged quite a bit in medical school.

I would write a good, honest, thoughtful PS on your mother's conditions. That'll likely buy you some brownie points and set you apart.

Regardless, I think Adcoms will doubt your academic abilities to succeed in medicine. I can only hope you're not fro California.

First step is to prove to the Adcoms that you can do this. Do well in the last 2 years of school, aim to get at least a 3.7 every semester. Once college is done, evaluate your GPA. If you're still below a 3.3, consider a PostBac program for a stronger upward trend.

Getting a stellar MCAT will also help prove your intellect. a 35+ will really help offset your low GPA.

My grades are stellar past my freshman fall semester, but the first semester is very horrible...

My grades are stellar past my freshman fall semester, but the first semester is very horrible...

"Stellar" to me is 3.9 to 4.0...what is "stellar" to you?

What is your cumulative GPA - do a spreadsheet, put all of your CC and Uni hours and quality points on it, and report back to us with the cumulative GPA...then tell us your "stellar" trend - what is the highest semester GPA for instance?

Basically, the problem here isn't that you had a terrible semester but that your community college GPA AND your university GPA are both far below 3.5 (the AVERAGE for applicants, and half of them don't get in!)

To be completely honest with you, with your current grades you have no chance of getting into medical school. However, it is not too late. You need to be able to prove to the medical school that you can handle the academic rigor of medical school.

Focus on getting 3.7+ for the rest of your time at your university. This should help pull your GPA to around 3.3+, making you a much more competitive appliant.

The important point here is that you must find out if you can handle medical school before you apply, else you will be wasting a lot of money once you get in. If you're NOT able to consistently get at least a B+ in all your undergraduate classes, what makes you think you will be able to survive medical school?