Please READ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnicolas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my university I have taken Stats classes in Sociology, Survey of Methods and in Psychology Exp Design. Do they count as math classes or humanities?

Members don't see this ad.

At my university I have taken Stats classes in Sociology, Survey of Methods and in Psychology Exp Design. Do they count as math classes or humanities?

In order for your stats class to count, it has to be a class that is offered by the math department. I think the classes that you have listed will fall under humanities.

If the material was more than 50% math which I'm assuming it was... and you did well and you want it to count in your BCPM GPA, then classify it as such.

Then let the lovely/mean/cold-hearted verifiers who hang up on you to sort it out. You're paying an arm and a leg to apply. Might as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

They general count as whatever AMCAS verifies them as. The rule of thumb is that if the course title on the transcript has the words "mathematics" or "calculus" or "statistics" in them, AMCAS will generally accept them as math and med schools (except for a few, see below) will follow AMCAS's lead.

Note: some med schools (University of Washington, Seattle) specifies that science courses taught by non-basic science departments will not count towards premed requirements (ie. bio taught by nursing department).

I was an Econ major and took a few quantitative course:

Mathematical Economics - it was pure math....someone try to tell me this isn't BCPM

I also took Econometrics which is pure linear regression stats....as far as I know lin reg is stats/math.

You should be fine.

This is how it works in Texas. it may be the same for every where else.

[BThe Statistics course should be taught in a Math or Statistics Department. Individual medical schools may consider statistics courses taught in other departments on an individual basis with appropriate documentation from faculty.][/B]
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html

In order for your stats class to count, it has to be a class that is offered by the math department. I think the classes that you have listed will fall under humanities.

Not really, all of my neuroscience/neurobiology courses are offered under the psych department at my school. Try to tell me that those are humanities courses and not BCPM.
@OP, the stat class is Math, the research methods probably not going to count for BCPM.

This is how it works in Texas. it may be the same for every where else.

[BThe Statistics course should be taught in a Math or Statistics Department. Individual medical schools may consider statistics courses taught in other departments on an individual basis with appropriate documentation from faculty.][/B]
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html

That's in regard to satisfying the math requirement for Texas medical schools, not the criteria for what is BCPM or not.

Since math is considered a science, a LOR from a math professor would be fine as one of the 2 science LORs required. Right?

If the material was more than 50% math which I'm assuming it was... and you did well and you want it to count in your BCPM GPA, then classify it as such.

:thumbup: It seems that CodeBlu is the only one here that has read the application instructions...

Then let the lovely/mean/cold-hearted verifiers who hang up on you to sort it out. You're paying an arm and a leg to apply. Might as well.

To be honest though this doesnt always work. They might put it in humanities due to course title or it being part of pysch department. When i put some of my BME classes in BCPM, which they were more pure science than engineer AMCAS went "GTFO" and moved the classes

To be honest though this doesnt always work. They might put it in humanities due to course title or it being part of pysch department. When i put some of my BME classes in BCPM, which they were more pure science than engineer AMCAS went "GTFO" and moved the classes

I actually had the opposite problem. I had BME classes that were basically placeholders for independent study semesters and they had generic titles like "BME 192: Projects" or something like that. But because in the years past, people at my school apparently put down those courses as BCPM and had them approved, it set something of a precedent. So when I put them under engineering, they were verified as biology. Good thing my PI was very nice and gave me A's :laugh:.

So anyway, to make a long story short, sometimes AMCAS goes by established precedent also. If a non-science department course was verified as BCPM in the past, then chances that it will be again is increased.

Edit: to be clear, my independent study project was basically a developmental biology project, so I guess it deserved a BCPM designation. But there was no way for the verifier to know that since I didn't specify what my project was or even its title.

I actually had the opposite problem. I had BME classes that were basically placeholders for independent study semesters and they had generic titles like "BME 192: Projects" or something like that. But because in the years past, people at my school apparently put down those courses as BCPM and had them approved, it set something of a precedent. So when I put them under engineering, they were verified as biology. Good thing my PI was very nice and gave me A's :laugh:.

So anyway, to make a long story short, sometimes AMCAS goes by established precedent also. If a non-science department course was verified as BCPM in the past, then chances that it will be again is increased.

Edit: to be clear, my independent study project was basically a developmental biology project, so I guess it deserved a BCPM designation. But there was no way for the verifier to know that since I didn't specify what my project was or even its title.
I tried to appeal mine with syllabi but no luck here. Theres no reason engineering shouldn't be BCPM. Its math and science.

I actually agree. Even the most basic of engineering classes are more mathematical than most pre-meds will ever be exposed to. Simple statics/solids classes, if you can even call those simple, are pure physics and mathematics.

I tried to appeal mine with syllabi but no luck here. Theres no reason engineering shouldn't be BCPM. Its math and science.

Where r u a school administrator lizzy?

LizzyM is everywhere. Now you see her....now you don't.

images

In the US. I can't be more specific that that.

I actually agree. Even the most basic of engineering classes are more mathematical than most pre-meds will ever be exposed to. Simple statics/solids classes, if you can even call those simple, are pure physics and mathematics.

I've talked to some pre-meds advisers and it seems they've been arguing this point too. at least TMDSAS fixed this.

LizzyM is everywhere. Now you see her....now you don't.

images
Shake-and-Bake.jpg