Please share your wisdom with me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

telavivi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like advice about my specific situation from some of you who have been around long enough to have learned a thing or two about the application process. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

My stats: 3.6 overall, 3.0 BCPM (BS Biology). I got a D in Physics II, which I will be retaking before I apply.
I have not yet taken the MCAT. For the purpose of this discussion, let’s assume I can get a score of 30 or higher.

EC’s:
One year volunteering in the ER during undergrad.

After graduating:
-2 days volunteering in Africa in an HIV clinic,
-One year (fulltime paid position) working in a lab, with one paper (7th or 8th author),
-1 and ½ years doing paid clinical research in a hospital with tons of exposure to many different areas of medicine.

So here are my questions:

- DO I need an SMP? What if I do an MS in Biochemistry at my state school and get excellent grades? An SMP would mean uprooting my family to follow me which would be difficult but not impossible if it is absolutely necessary.

- What can I do to make my application more competitive besides for taking graduate/SMP classes?

-Any other general advice, or comments? I never studied in undergrad and am anxious to prove myself on the MCAT but want to improve on any other aspects of my application that I possibly can.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

your MCAT is REALLY going to make or break your application. So, if we do assume you can get above a 30 (everyone assumes this, though) and you want to go MD, yeah, you should probably raise that science GPA. Below a 30 and you're probably golden for DO without an SMP

Your in the gray zone where you could very well get accepted to medical school right away with a good MCAT and a unique application. I would say rock the MCAT, apply early and broadly, and impress on your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
If i was in your position, I would take some more science undergraduate classes to improve your Sci GPA until you can apply for SMP or traditional Master program in the following year. Yes, your cumulative GPA is borderline, but your science GPA might get you screen out before even getting a secondary or interview.

What about your GPA trend ?? Is it going up, down, or stayed the same ??
A downward trend is frown upon unless you have a very good reason and the same goes if you don't improve each year.

Thanks very much for the replies.

Caseofthemndays and Globaltrader: I just think that taking more undergrad science courses would have limited yield because it would take many classes to move my GPA up just one or two points. Wouldn't my time be better spent doing graduate work or an SMP?

I understand that a 3.0 may get me automatically screened out at many places but what is the cut off? 3.2? 3.3? 3.4? Also, are you positive that classes taken after a graduation date are not considered post bach work anyways, which would not help the BCPM gpa?

Just to be clear, I am considering allopathic schools.

PS.
I have no trend at all. All over the place with a bunch of A's , a bunch of B-'s, one C, one D and some B's thrown in as well. Pretty mediocre. But I am mainly concerned with not getting screened out, after which the rest of my app will have to do the talking. This is why I am struggling with the question of whether an MS in Biochem with good grades will be enough, or do I need an SMP. (and would even an SMP be enough)

Thanks very much for the replies.

Caseofthemndays and Globaltrader: I just think that taking more undergrad science courses would have limited yield because it would take many classes to move my GPA up just one or two points. Wouldn't my time be better spent doing graduate work or an SMP?

Doing a SMP should be considered as a final route, because if you performed poorly in such program - you pretty much burn your bridge towards an allopathic medical school in the US.

I understand that a 3.0 may get me automatically screened out at many places but what is the cut off? 3.2? 3.3? 3.4? Also, are you positive that classes taken after a graduation date are not considered post bach work anyways, which would not help the BCPM gpa?

All undergraduate classes taken after graduation is considered a post-bac and will be placed in a different category in your AMCAS application. So if you have a 4.0 post-bac GPA it looks much better.[/qoute]

In response to screening, even though there is no "official" guidelines that the school provides, a poor science GPA makes you as a "RISK" of underperforming in med school. And many med schools are not willing to take that risk since there are many others with higher STATs applying for the same spot.

Just to be clear, I am considering allopathic schools.

PS.
I have no trend at all. All over the place with a bunch of A's , a bunch of B-'s, one C, one D and some B's thrown in as well. Pretty mediocre. But I am mainly concerned with not getting screened out, after which the rest of my app will have to do the talking. This is why I am struggling with the question of whether an MS in Biochem with good grades will be enough, or do I need an SMP. (and would even an SMP be enough)
[/qoute]

Having no improvement in your academic trend is not good because it shows that you are not mature enough to take on the load for medical school. If you are considering of pursuing advanced degree in science then by all means do so. It gives you more time to work on the MCAT, improve your GPA, and more research experience.
I personally know a couple of people who went and get their MS or PhD in biochemistry before pursuing an MD.
You don't have to do a SMP if you don't want to.

bcpm is very low. my guess is that you would get screened out.

MS in biochem != SMP

so uh, if you graduate with an MS in biochem and don't get in...well, SOL?

bcpm is very low. my guess is that you would get screened out.

MS in biochem != SMP

so uh, if you graduate with an MS in biochem and don't get in...well, SOL?

Interesting point. An SMP would not remove the danger of getting screened out, though. Am I right?