Please tell me how to answer this question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOnc2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so there is a question that I have been asked by PD's on the interview trail and I don't know how to answer it.

They ask, "What other programs are you interviewing at?"

I hate this question because if you list off a lot of programs they will think that they're just one of many programs and you probably won't go there, while if you only list a few then they think you're not a desired applicant. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

My answer was:

"Given the competetive nature of the field, I am applying and interviewing very widely - all over the country actually. However, I am focusing on (your program/your region of the country) because.....[insert compelling reason here]"

I used to hate that question too. Now that I'm on this side of the fence, I think it is honestly a (stupid) ice-breaking question and gives the interviewer a chance to comment on friends or colleagues that they may know at the places you are headed..but you obviously don't want to waste your precious few minutes with them talking about other programs..so I always tried to answer their question briefly, but immediately change the subject before they start going on a tangent.

Oh, and the right answer to "why radiation oncology?" is (love this Gross Anatomy quote):

"because I wanna make a lot of money!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say:

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Jedi mind tricks always work against those weak-minded PDs.

Ok, so there is a question that I have been asked by PD's on the interview trail and I don't know how to answer it.

They ask, "What other programs are you interviewing at?"

I hate this question because if you list off a lot of programs they will think that they're just one of many programs and you probably won't go there, while if you only list a few then they think you're not a desired applicant. What should I do?

You could just tell them. I don't really think they care. I told everyone where I was interviewing. They know they're not the only school your applying to, and you know vice-versa. It just provides for more conversation topics, because they can compare their own program to the others your looking at (which, although obviously a biased comparison, can be helpful). Don't stress too much about it -- they're not asking disingenuously.