Nov 10, 2010
Status
Ok, so there is a question that I have been asked by PD's on the interview trail and I don't know how to answer it.

They ask, "What other programs are you interviewing at?"

I hate this question because if you list off a lot of programs they will think that they're just one of many programs and you probably won't go there, while if you only list a few then they think you're not a desired applicant. What should I do?

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
My answer was:

"Given the competetive nature of the field, I am applying and interviewing very widely - all over the country actually. However, I am focusing on (your program/your region of the country) because.....[insert compelling reason here]"

I used to hate that question too. Now that I'm on this side of the fence, I think it is honestly a (stupid) ice-breaking question and gives the interviewer a chance to comment on friends or colleagues that they may know at the places you are headed..but you obviously don't want to waste your precious few minutes with them talking about other programs..so I always tried to answer their question briefly, but immediately change the subject before they start going on a tangent.

Oh, and the right answer to "why radiation oncology?" is (love this Gross Anatomy quote):

"because I wanna make a lot of money!"

SimulD

15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2001
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Status
Gross Anatomy mentioned Rad onc??
-S

shogun0660

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
No, in gross anatomy the main character was interviewing for med school. That was his answer to, "Why do you want to be a doctor?"
horrible movie, BTW. :)

Also, agree with NDs response. Probably the best way to go when encountering that question.

Charles_Carmichael

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Status
Non-Student
This entire time, I thought Gross Anatomy was a "cool" way of saying Grey's Anatomy. Did not realize it was a movie...:oops:

Brim

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
NC
Status
Attending Physician
I'd say:

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Jedi mind tricks always work against those weak-minded PDs.

Tigerstang

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Washington, DC
Status
Ok, so there is a question that I have been asked by PD's on the interview trail and I don't know how to answer it.

They ask, "What other programs are you interviewing at?"

I hate this question because if you list off a lot of programs they will think that they're just one of many programs and you probably won't go there, while if you only list a few then they think you're not a desired applicant. What should I do?
You could just tell them. I don't really think they care. I told everyone where I was interviewing. They know they're not the only school your applying to, and you know vice-versa. It just provides for more conversation topics, because they can compare their own program to the others your looking at (which, although obviously a biased comparison, can be helpful). Don't stress too much about it -- they're not asking disingenuously.