Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2002
Visit site
Diag Radiology-what kind of patients do they see?

Int Radiology-what kind of surgeries do they do, besides cancer? Any procedures that bring in a lot of money but dont require you to treat cancer patients?

Ortho Sugery-what procedures do they do and how much money is it?

Which surgeon would treat a gunshot to the chest? How about a burn? How about a deep cut in arm or leg from falling glass? Im mostly interested in patients who were completely healthy, but then had such a crazy accident and have a chance of full recovery.
What role would an EM doc take in this procedures? How about anesthiologist?

Im also interested in lifestyles.

So please name any exact procedures: i.e. Ortho Surgeon spends x amount of time on a knee ligament replacement surgery, x amount of money for surgery equipment, etc, and how much he charges for such a procedure?

btw, im just doing research. And money has nothing to do with it. But this is to learn more about your profession, same way as i may ask an engineer similar questions. if it were about money, i would only ask questions about plastic surgery, this is just to find out your regular day in life.

Thank you.

Winged Scapula

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
Attending Physician
Diagnostic Radiology - sees ALL types of patients (actually radiologists very rarely actually see the patient except for some more invasive studies, like swallows, etc. The tech does the test and the DR reads the test.) - surgical, medical, etc. This is the guy who reads your chest xrays, mammos, CTs, etc.

Interventional Radiology - doesn't do surgery per se, but does do a fair bit of interventional procedures, such as working with surgeons on endovascular stents, embolization of clots, etc. IR doesn't necessarily treat Cancer patients, perhaps you are thinking of Radiation Oncologists (separate residency program).

Usually general surgeons with Critical Care/Trauma qualifiations would treat GSWs to the chest, although depending the the path of the bullet, Cardiothoracic Surgery might be required to intervene. The treatment of penetrating trauma is hospital dependent, although usually is first seen by General Surgeons (who may or may not have Trauma training).

Burns are again often the realm of General or Plastic Surgeons. You can complete a Burn fellowship after basic surgical training. Minor burns (ie, those that dont' require Burn Center admission) are generally managed on a surgical floor.

Deeps cuts from falling glass - the general surgeon would likely see this patient if the Emergency Room felt unqualified to manage it, or if the patient came in as a Trauma (again hospital dependent, some places all Traumas are run by Surgery, others are run by ED with surgical intervention as needed). If the cut were particularly deep or needed definitive coverage, a Plastic Surgeon might be consulted.

ER physicians play a varied role in the management of Trauma. Highly hospital dependent - as noted above, you may be the primary point of contact for a Trauma, and consult surgeons as needed, or your hospital may have a Trauma response team comprised of surgeons (as it is here). Anesthesia is usually present for trauma calls, and will be released once the team leader determines they have no need for their services. Anesthesia procedures may be limited to line placement (ie, arterial, venous, central venous) as well as pain control, sedation and intubation. They generally are not involved in the definitive wound management.

Orthopedic surgeons do a wide variety of procedures from closed reduction of dislocated bones, to open reduction, internal fixation, joint replacement, etc. The pay varies widely with regard to region of the country, number of procedures, practice type, specialization (if any).

Hope this helps.