mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
...I just want to be a doctor. Please. Please? I am tired of having all this knowledge, ambition, self-motivation, and putting so much effort into achieving high levels of academics and entrance exams only to get another reject and a WL. I will have to try again next year, and I am getting really worried that it might be a reality that I will never get in to med school. Then I take a realistic look at myself and I don't see how that could be possible...

I'm soooo discouraged and anxious to get my life going, and soooo tired of being in this pergatory, waiting for the other shoe to drop, will I and when, when do I move and where,

And I can't take another night of Dancing With the Stars with my 83 year old mother in order to save money on rent so I can apply to medical school - it's so free, but it's getting too Greek.

I'm smart, I'm cute, I'm funny, I'm talented with people, I'm an Aquarius and I like purple fuzzy pillows and long walks on the beach... I even sew a lot of my own clothes, and I knit really cute things for christmas presents... I love animals and I'm a pretty good cook, I make pottery, I like the Grateful Dead, and I can keep houseplant alive longer than any roommate I have ever had... so...

Pick me please! Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! Please? Please? :luck:

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
...I just want to be a doctor. Please. Please? I am tired of having all this knowledge, ambition, self-motivation, and putting so much effort into achieving high levels of academics and entrance exams only to get another reject and a WL. I will have to try again next year, and I am getting really worried that it might be a reality that I will never get in to med school. Then I take a realistic look at myself and I don't see how that could be possible...

I'm soooo discouraged and anxious to get my life going, and soooo tired of being in this pergatory, waiting for the other shoe to drop, will I and when, when do I move and where,

And I can't take another night of Dancing With the Stars with my 83 year old mother in order to save money on rent so I can apply to medical school - it's so free, but it's getting too Greek.

I'm smart, I'm cute, I'm funny, I'm talented with people, I'm an Aquarius and I like purple fuzzy pillows and long walks on the beach... I even sew a lot of my own clothes, and I knit really cute things for christmas presents... I love animals and I'm a pretty good cook, I make pottery, I like the Grateful Dead, and I can keep houseplant alive longer than any roommate I have ever had... so...

Well, if you make a donation of the right size then you're a shoe in.

hippocraticoath

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical

You can always go down to a carribbean medical school if you're tired of waiting :thumbup:

lastcall

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
And I can't take another night of Dancing With the Stars with my 83 year old mother in order to save money on rent so I can apply to medical school
Eh at this point, I really want to live with my parents and watch TV (yes, even Dancing with the Stars):oops: I have no cable right now.
I am currently living in a bad neighborhood with crackwhores and thieves.

lastcall

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
So you already moved into your medical school dorm already?
Not yet :smuggrin: I have been living in this hovel fior awhile. my hubcaps were stolen last month.

Edit: anyway OP, hang in there. Hope it all works out very soon.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
mooshika, are you applying broadly to both DO and MD schools?

And, frankly, I would probably put most of that last paragraph about sewing your own clothes and liking fuzzy purple pillows in a PS. But I'm... different. I viewed the PS as an opportunity to tell them about ME. Not what I thought someone else thought I should say about why I want to be a doctor. But about ME. Being a doctor went in there too - but it said more about ME. Tell them about YOU. Not about what someone else thinks you ought to say about you.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You guys are cute. I was joking about the fuzzy pillows thing - But in all seriousness - what you said is intriguing - of course I write about me in the PS. I'm not too worried about my PS - but what do you mean about not writing what you think someone else thinks you should write about... etc.? It was an attempt at humor.

Actually - the broad application process will start this year if I need to apply again which I probably will. This year I only applied to two schools, I had very good reasons for doing so - but this year I'm looking at at least 20 schools over all...

What's the UAMS?

And, frankly, I would probably put most of that last paragraph about sewing your own clothes and liking fuzzy purple pillows in a PS. But I'm... different. I viewed the PS as an opportunity to tell them about ME. Not what I thought someone else thought I should say about why I want to be a doctor. But about ME. Being a doctor went in there too - but it said more about ME. Tell them about YOU. Not about what someone else thinks you ought to say about you.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
...and I can keep houseplant alive longer than any roommate I have ever had...
:eek: Wow! how many roommates you go through?! How did THEY die?! FYI, they need water too...

Last edited:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seriously, OP, considering you will be increasing your chances by an order of magnitude next cycle, I think you have license to be optimistic! Besides, you may still get out of 'purgatory' this summer. Have you written a well thought out letter of intention to that school, letting them really know you will indeed attend if accepted?

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
You guys are cute. I was joking about the fuzzy pillows thing - But in all seriousness - what you said is intriguing - of course I write about me in the PS. I'm not too worried about my PS - but what do you mean about not writing what you think someone else thinks you should write about... etc.? It was an attempt at humor.

Actually - the broad application process will start this year if I need to apply again which I probably will. This year I only applied to two schools, I had very good reasons for doing so - but this year I'm looking at at least 20 schools over all...

What's the UAMS?
Haha I'm guessing you are just wondering for the sake of knowing and not to buy yourself a spot...but if not to each their own! I'm going to take a stab at this and say it is the University of Arkansas Medical School? Or Medical society or or sciences or something like that...but I could be wrong

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
This year I only applied to two schools, I had very good reasons for doing so - but this year I'm looking at at least 20 schools over all...
That'll likely solve a lot of your issues. Even for an excellent candidate depending on 2 schools is dicey. Best of luck for the next cycle.

futureboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
...I just want to be a doctor. Please. Please? I am tired of having all this knowledge, ambition, self-motivation, and putting so much effort into achieving high levels of academics and entrance exams only to get another reject and a WL.

So...are you looking for a med school acceptance, or a date? :)

In a way, the two processes aren't all that different.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind

This is the best advise there is for writing a PS. I have been trying to convince friends of this for ever. Its exactly how I looked at my second PS (second application cycle) and is one of the only things that changed on my application. I went from 1 WL to 3 MD acceptances. Seriously, this is great advise.

OP, hang in there, two schools is unheard of basically. I applied to only the Texas schools (7 or 8 can't remember off hand) and was nearly laughed at by some "serious" pre-meds.

MalachiConstant

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You seem like a normal, decent person. Like others said, apply more broadly next time and let this be a lesson learned. I agree with ShyRem, I love the last paragraph of your last post as part of a PS. I'm not even in med school yet, and can't give insight into the mind of most Adcom members, but if it were me, I'd give strong consideration to someone who wrote something entertaining but personal and insightful like this. Looking back, I wish my PS had reflected my personality better and been more entertaining.

MC

riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Stole this from my writing professor who was mocking the PS:

.I am a healer so I should be in medical school. Ever since I saw my pet hamster Hammy fall of a shelf and die, right before my eyes, and I felt so helpless, I knew I had to go to medical school. I know my scores and grades are low for medical school, but I don’t test well. I do try hard in everything I do, and I will do that in medical school, just ask my mother. My cousin is in medical school and I’m smarter than he is, just ask my mother. And I care about people, especially the children. We are the world, as the song goes, and it takes a village, and I want to heal that village..

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Mooshika, THAT ^^^^ would be writing what someone else thinks you ought to say about you. Notice there isn't one thing about YOU in that ^^^^^ paragraph.

I'd rather read a haiku about fuzzy purple pillows.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
That is hilarious. "especially the children..." This wouldn't work for me cause I don't like children OR old people... I like hamsters tho cause they have more white meat.

Stole this from my writing professor who was mocking the PS:

.I am a healer so I should be in medical school. Ever since I saw my pet hamster Hammy fall of a shelf and die, right before my eyes, and I felt so helpless, I knew I had to go to medical school. I know my scores and grades are low for medical school, but I don’t test well. I do try hard in everything I do, and I will do that in medical school, just ask my mother. My cousin is in medical school and I’m smarter than he is, just ask my mother. And I care about people, especially the children. We are the world, as the song goes, and it takes a village, and I want to heal that village..

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Mooshika:

I just got a nice list of medical school programs in the US. I am sure this is not a comprehensive list, but it's pretty big. I have kept a running list of all the schools I want to apply to, I am planning on 24 right now. So maybe this will give you some you've never even hard of. I know it did for me.

http://www.univsource.com/med.htm

Andrea