pledging in undergrad then applying to med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SuckAtVerbal

Hey guys...I have two questions. 1--One semester, I decided to pledge a sorority and did not get around to doing work all that much, so my GPA is clearly lower that semester than others. in an interview, what do i say if they ask me why my GPA is lower that semester? I clearly can't say "bc i decided to get bitched around for a semester to then pay for my friends" so what would be a good explanation?

also, one semester i decided to pass/fail a class, but another semester, i took a gym class that was pass/fail to begin with. i dont wnat the aamc to think that i pass failed the gym class when it was classified as such from the start. how do i fill this out on the application to make it clear that i ONLY pass failed ONE class, and not the other?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...I have two questions. 1--One semester, I decided to pledge a sorority and did not get around to doing work all that much, so my GPA is clearly lower that semester than others. in an interview, what do i say if they ask me why my GPA is lower that semester? I clearly can't say "bc i decided to get bitched around for a semester to then pay for my friends" so what would be a good explanation?

also, one semester i decided to pass/fail a class, but another semester, i took a gym class that was pass/fail to begin with. i dont wnat the aamc to think that i pass failed the gym class when it was classified as such from the start. how do i fill this out on the application to make it clear that i ONLY pass failed ONE class, and not the other?

This belongs in pre-allo -- readers of the allo board are already past the application concerns.

Med schools wont really care about a couple of P/F courses so long as they weren't prereqs. As for explaining your low GPA, you need to figure that out for yourself -- there are no recyclable explanations from others you should use.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you attractive?

If you improved your grammar (your verbal is okay), you might have a better shot

The views on greek live vary widely. Some see it as a positive, others as a negative (I'm pretty sure this thread will turn into a long debate on the subject).

Regardless, I wouldn't take too extreme of a stance when applying. You can safely assume that you'll come across both viewpoints on the admissions committee. I would suggest being moderate when discussing greek life.

As for excuses... be very careful with these. If there is one thing I've learned over 3 application cycles. Schools want to see you take responsibility for your own actions. Blaming sorority involvement (even if it took the majority of your time) is only going to get you into trouble. You need to be mature, recognize the error of your previous ways and show growth. That's the best way to handle these situations.

There's nothing wrong with telling the truth in the first case. Just demonstrate that you have matured and learned from your mistakes. Use this life experience to empathize with your future patients.

When you say your grades dropped, how low did they drop? If it was an insignificant amount, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's hard to do be someone's bitch and also do incredibly well in school. You can always put a positive spin on things (leadership, socializing, service, etc), but be aware that there are always going to be people who are anti-greek (esp in the studendoctor network). Being in a sorority has been a great experience for me, and I think that it does become a useful networking tool. Be proud of your decisions!

also, med schools and AAMC know that pretty much all phys ed classes are P/F. and when you designate the class type, it'll be obvious that one was a phys ed class and one was not.

You could say you had your priorities misorderd and didn't give your schoolwork the attention that it needed. Even bring up pledging if you want, if your subsequent semesters are good, it will be obvious that you learned from your mistake and learned how to ballance school with social activities.

that's too bad about the pledging headache. i am in a sorority and what i loved about mine and my school is that although you had to go to twice a week at first for learning about the sorority and initiation and stuff, youcould for the most part control the amount of time you spent doing other stuff with the sorority and you definitely didn't get bitched around, doesn't your school follow any anti hazing laws. geez, i thought only frat guys had it bad doing the pledging and premed thing.