Pleeease comment on my list of schools (desperately need input)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpen200

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Home State: MI

MCAT Score: VR 11, PS 11, BS 12, Q
BCPM GPA: 3.61
Overall GPA: 3.55

Brief Profile:
2+ years research (1 publication and 1 coming)
1 semester hospital volunteer
1 semester volunteer in free clinic
1 year director of healthcare policy for student think tank
(other minor ECs)

Schools
Emory University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loyola University Chicago
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Oregon Health & Science University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Tulane University
University of Colorado
University of Illinois
University of Miami
University of Michigan
University of South Florida
University of Southern California
University of Washington
Vanderbilt University
Wayne State University

Members don't see this ad.

Why not Michigan State? Add that in, even if you're not too excited about it (just to be safe). You have a good chance at Wayne, but your grades are below the median at UMich. MSU gives you a second school where you have a good chance.

You have more OOS public schools than I would choose. However, you've done a nice job of selecting a set of schools that gives you an excellent chance of at least one acceptance. I don't see a problem with this list, besides the absence of MSU.

Thanks for the input. I'm not applying to Michigan State simply because I wouldn't go there if I got in. I really want to get out of Michigan, and would really only consider staying if I only got into UofM or Wayne. Are there any schools I should just just drop or maybe a few more safeties I should add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

GW and Georgetown receive over 10,000 apps every year. Why don't you apply to other schools in their stats range that might be more worth the app money (and that aren't so expensive to attend)? I see you didn't list any of the Philly schools. But I can understand that - I am applying to them but would prefer to be elsewhere for med school. What about Albert Einstein or Penn State?

The Univ. of South Florida accepts very few OOS students. Univ. of Miami, although private, still predominantly accepts FL residents because they get state funding. I would still apply to UM as an OOS, because they're trying to become increasingly "private", but USF is a different story. If you are interested in coming down to Florida, you may want to consider UCF, which is opening up their school to the entire country for only this coming cycle.

University of Washington doesn't really accept MD applicants who are not in their location (they accept ID, WY... that don't have their own med schools), but because you are in Michigan there is very little chance.

Oregon doesn't accept too many out of state, but more possibility than UWash.

Thanks for the input. I'm not applying to Michigan State simply because I wouldn't go there if I got in. I really want to get out of Michigan, and would really only consider staying if I only got into UofM or Wayne. Are there any schools I should just just drop or maybe a few more safeties I should add?

Even if MSU is your only acceptance?

I'm not saying it will be but I'm playing what if.

You have a lot of OOS public schools. You should drop some of the following: OHSU, Downstate, UIC, Colorado, USF and UW. Rush is private, but strongly prefers IL residents.

Consider adding: NYMC, Drexel, Jefferson. I highly recommend Jefferson for you, as it has some of the best Graduate Medical Education programs in the nation and a nice location in Center City Philadelphia. You should be competitive for an interview there.

Theoretically, it's foolish not to apply to MSU. That said, there's no reason to apply there if you would not attend were it your only acceptance.

Make sure you add Jefferson, though! Good luck!

I think you have too many OOS public schools. Just numbers-wise you probably match up well at those schools, but they'll be pulling a lot fewer people from the OOS applicants. Look for some more OOS private (I know the price sucks) because your numbers are competitive at a lot of schools.

I just went to a University of Washington info session and the numbers are pretty bleak for a non-resident. 95% of the students are from the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) states. The woman who was running the info session said that the 5% from out of state were basically people who had encountered some severe hardships or were really really really impressive. I'm talking like started their own non-profit/discovered new organism impressive.

Big ixnay on Washington and Colorado - your chances as OOS are miniscule...I suspect the same is true for Illinois and USF...

Lazarus thread allert! This poster asked for advice last June, and has been accepted to Wayne State according to the profile.