Plenty of time before MCAT....start practicing for verbal in the meantime?

Started by danny89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danny89

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking the January 2013 MCAT. I have around 6 months before the exam. There are tons of people saying that I shouldn't start studying until I have 4 months before the exam.. With the first 2 months, I was thinking of practing some verbal passages in the mean time. What do you guys think? How should I do this?
 
If you have a lot of time I would start studying now,

I personally feel that if you can complete the following:

TBR
EK'S
TPRH SWB + VERBAL WORKBOOK
ALL AAMC FL, AAMC SELF ASSESSMENTS, GS TESTS, TBR TESTS

you'd be good to go =] I studied 7 months and felt it did wonders
 
If you have a lot of time I would start studying now,

I personally feel that if you can complete the following:

TBR
EK'S
TPRH SWB + VERBAL WORKBOOK
ALL AAMC FL, AAMC SELF ASSESSMENTS, GS TESTS, TBR TESTS

you'd be good to go =] I studied 7 months and felt it did wonders
How many hours per day did you study? What was your diagnostic like? Did your verbal reasoning improve at all over that period?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm also planning on beginning to study sooner than most people...
 
I was supposed to take the exam on Sept 11, but I decided to postpone it to Jan. I have a lot of time to study now, and I recommend that you start looking at the content now! I thought I was rushing through the content and wasn't able to grasp some of the topics because I was on such a tight schedule. Now that I have flexibility in my schedule, I can enjoy these topics and spend a little more time trying to understand the them!
I am taking classes in the fall qtr. (easy load) so I need to watch out and not burn myself during the qtr. I have to make sure that I have the content reviewed and major topics understood before my qtr. starts. I will be reviewing and getting comfortable with the equations and big concepts during my fall qtr. Last 7 -8 weeks, I am planning on doing the practice exams (AAMC and GS). I have about 3 weeks off, and I will be hitting the practice exams hard during that stretch.

Just a tad bit about my plan since we are in the same boat! Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I wanted to take it September but I felt as if I was rushing too. I was halfway through the Berkeley review and decided to switch. How are you guys approaching the material now with all this extra time?
 
If you have a lot of time I would start studying now,

I personally feel that if you can complete the following:

TBR
EK'S
TPRH SWB + VERBAL WORKBOOK
ALL AAMC FL, AAMC SELF ASSESSMENTS, GS TESTS, TBR TESTS

you'd be good to go =] I studied 7 months and felt it did wonders
Did you forget some stuff you learned along the way?

I was supposed to take the exam on Sept 11, but I decided to postpone it to Jan. I have a lot of time to study now, and I recommend that you start looking at the content now! I thought I was rushing through the content and wasn't able to grasp some of the topics because I was on such a tight schedule. Now that I have flexibility in my schedule, I can enjoy these topics and spend a little more time trying to understand the them!
I am taking classes in the fall qtr. (easy load) so I need to watch out and not burn myself during the qtr. I have to make sure that I have the content reviewed and major topics understood before my qtr. starts. I will be reviewing and getting comfortable with the equations and big concepts during my fall qtr. Last 7 -8 weeks, I am planning on doing the practice exams (AAMC and GS). I have about 3 weeks off, and I will be hitting the practice exams hard during that stretch.

Just a tad bit about my plan since we are in the same boat! Good luck!
Where you on a 3 month schedule?

I strongly suggest you do NOT take any verbal passages. There simply aren't enough good verbal sources out there.
You don't think EK Verbal 101 and TPRH Verbal workbook won't last me long enough to the end if I start now?
 
dont know how i didnt see this thread! i am signed up for September 7th and want to change my date to January as well. But some people say this is too much time. Pretty much in the same boat as haloalkane because i also have the fall quarter and the three months off for winter break. but studying for the septermber test I feel like i am rushing the review of the content material.
its really frustrating because some people are saying its better to finish in september but others are saying to wait...
For those who did study this long... do you end up forgetting a lot of the content?
 
I recommend that you read news, politics, economics, humanities, sociology, boring subject articles, and summarize each paragraph and then write up the main idea (one sentence summary of whole article) for each article. Do at least 5 per day, and try to have someone who is good at reading - an English major or very literate person - read the article and give you advice on your summaries and main points. Most universities have English/humanity department tutoring that's free so if yours or one nearby has free tutoring, you should utilize that resource. I realize this may seem to be really inconvenient and tedious, but it is well worth it. I have been studying for verbal using examcrackers, and princeton review practice passages, and most of the answer choices can be eliminated based on inconsistency with the main idea. If you have have more than 4 months, this would be very useful since your reading comprehension can significantly improve in that length of time.

If you have less than 4 months don't waste your time doing what I mentioned above. Focus completely on doing timed passages/problems, and analyze all questions and understand why each of the wrong answer choices are wrong. Make sure your reasons for their fallacies are accurate, and do at least 2 passages a day (but try to do much much more than that). Don't do many passages all in a sitting early on; try to do 2-4 then switch to a subject that is easier for u and then do 2-4 more and then switch.

Also, if you're planning on working on verbal passages, do passages for a subject that you're more comfortable with first and then move on to verbal right after. This helps because I have found that when I jump straight into verbal, I end up being unable to focus and attack the passage. When I do Gchem/Ochem (my comfort zone) first, it prepares me mentally to do verbal.

Diet is a big deal. I try to eat some sort of fruit, usually banana, before doing verbal since the brain uses glucose and basic sugars for metabolism. You want to supply your brain with the nutrients it needs before doing one of the more mentally taxing sections of the mcat. Not making good diet choices in studying for mcats is as bad as not eating a high-protein diet and working out.

Get examkrackers verbal book, and read through all of their text/nonquestion portions first highlighting their most important pieces of advice to you. Then go through again and work through their exercises and their questions. I also recommend their 101 passages book; it works well with their verbal book.

Other than that, good luck, study hard.
 
I recommend that you read news, politics, economics, humanities, sociology, boring subject articles, and summarize each paragraph and then write up the main idea (one sentence summary of whole article) for each article. Do at least 5 per day, and try to have someone who is good at reading - an English major or very literate person - read the article and give you advice on your summaries and main points. Most universities have English/humanity department tutoring that's free so if yours or one nearby has free tutoring, you should utilize that resource. I realize this may seem to be really inconvenient and tedious, but it is well worth it. I have been studying for verbal using examcrackers, and princeton review practice passages, and most of the answer choices can be eliminated based on inconsistency with the main idea. If you have have more than 4 months, this would be very useful since your reading comprehension can significantly improve in that length of time.

If you have less than 4 months don't waste your time doing what I mentioned above. Focus completely on doing timed passages/problems, and analyze all questions and understand why each of the wrong answer choices are wrong. Make sure your reasons for their fallacies are accurate, and do at least 2 passages a day (but try to do much much more than that). Don't do many passages all in a sitting early on; try to do 2-4 then switch to a subject that is easier for u and then do 2-4 more and then switch.

Also, if you're planning on working on verbal passages, do passages for a subject that you're more comfortable with first and then move on to verbal right after. This helps because I have found that when I jump straight into verbal, I end up being unable to focus and attack the passage. When I do Gchem/Ochem (my comfort zone) first, it prepares me mentally to do verbal.

Diet is a big deal. I try to eat some sort of fruit, usually banana, before doing verbal since the brain uses glucose and basic sugars for metabolism. You want to supply your brain with the nutrients it needs before doing one of the more mentally taxing sections of the mcat. Not making good diet choices in studying for mcats is as bad as not eating a high-protein diet and working out.

Get examkrackers verbal book, and read through all of their text/nonquestion portions first highlighting their most important pieces of advice to you. Then go through again and work through their exercises and their questions. I also recommend their 101 passages book; it works well with their verbal book.

Other than that, good luck, study hard.

Great advise here. Thanks!